The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Uncle Ben

.30-30 Mossberg or Marlin

The price is close to identical. Is one any more accurate than the other?
What are your preferences?

By the way, this would be my first hunting rifle, and I do plan to mount a scope for some uses...
Old November 26, 2008, 01:31 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Let me qualify my response first with... I AM A MOSSBERG SHOTGUN MAN!!!
Go Marlin and you will never look back! The Mossberg is a modified Winchester 94. The fact you mention scope SCREAMS XXXXXXXX Marlin. Fully side ejected thru a side ejection port rather than a top ejection port with a little sideways kick to the spent shell.
Another plus is a single round can be dropped in the open side port and action closed and it works like a single shot.
Accuracy... marlins often cloverleaf at 100 yards so they are just fine there too...
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 26, 2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Brain fart while typing!
Old November 26, 2008, 01:38 PM   #3
zoomie

??

Isn't that backwards? Wouldn't scope scream Marlin with its side ejection vs the top ejection with the Mossy?

Mossy 464:

Marlin 336:
Old November 26, 2008, 01:41 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOPS YES SCOPE A MARLIN!!! Brain Fart while typing!!!
Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 01:46 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is my vintage 1977...

Scope is too big but previous owner just had to have a "deer rifle" with a "real scope" I will remove it after my first deer!
Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Inspector3711

I only know Marlin... I say go with the Marlin.
Old November 26, 2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Uncle Ben

Well, I would definitely want the option of a scope, so Marlin it is. Does Marlin currently make them without the checkering/detailing (like your '77)? I actually prefer the more simple look of the Mossberg for that reason, but I won't not buy the Marlin because of that.

Thanks for the input.
Old November 26, 2008, 03:52 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You can scope the mossberg. That is one reason they modified the receiver. Those 2 small sections on top are drilled. According to the Marlin site, all the lever guns are checkered. I would look around for a used rifle. If you are not familiar with buying used ones, find a buddy to take with you. I was the one who inspected this one for PO and he bought it for $179 OUT THE DOOR when $179 was their asking. Upon further inspection and cleaning I found it to be either barely fired with just typical bluing removal on the hammer and lever. Mag tube internally was actually still shiny and follower looked new. It has some less than perfect exterior metal finish and some very small dots of rust on the side plates but for a 30+ year old firearm and in my spartan like hands it is a cherry find! the kid just had to have my Lorcin WORE OUT .380 and I wouldn't put a dollar price on it (not worth selling) so when he offered me his Maverick 88 12 gauge pump with less than 250 rounds thru it and this Marlin I figured it was my duty to give him a simple economics lesson I was going to let him trade back but he got disgusted with the Lorcin, as I promised he would, and sold it for 50 bucks so the trade back plan was shelved...
Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

What in the world were you doing with a Lorcin to begin with? And how did you get it to work long enough to wear it out?

Oh, wait, I understand upon reflection. It came new from the factory worn out.
Old November 26, 2008, 05:36 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It was given to me by a well meaning buddy when I mucked up my left arm in a roll over crash and I am a left handed guy so he felt bad I wasn't gonna be boxin' my way out of trouble. It was good for one shot point blank. Mag was junk. An unfired round would fit down the muzzle I never carried it though. Never felt that much safer with that thing. By the time he got it to me i was healin' pretty well. While still not and never will be normal I can push some one off with my left while I draw my knife. Just prior to wrecking I had walked him thru getting good with a pistol and steering him to a GOOD CCP and he chose the XD40...
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 06:10 PM   #11
jmr40

They would have to pay me to take the Mossberg out of the store. If you want a Marlin with no checkering the used gun racks are your friend. They are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Although I like the Marlin a little better there are also lots of Winchesters on the used racks as well. I cannot see paying what they want for the Mossberg when I can still buy the real thing used for a lot less. Most guns are not used enough to do anything more than get them broken in anyway.
Old November 30, 2008, 10:36 PM   #12
T-Ray

Marlin, hands down

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old December 1, 2008, 10:35 AM   #13
Uncle Ben

Marlin it is. Thanks guys. I will definitely consider used as well.
Old December 2, 2008, 10:28 PM   #14
KBG

If you can find a pre-64 Winchester 94 get one and forget the scope, if you have trouble seeing -get glasses! These are short range rifles and glass'in a shot is insane.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:16 PM   #15
bclark1

I also think Mossberg makes great shotguns, I have nicer shotguns than my Mossy now but I still take most of the scattergun game with it. It was my first hunting gun, and will be in use for a long time to come.

But, Marlin is the first name in leverguns as far as I'm concerned. I have an 1895G and can't say a bad thing about it. I believe they all ship with a swap-able hammer or hammer extension to make it that much easier to put a scope on top too.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Sarge

There's a good article on the Mossberg here-

http://www.gunblast.com/LFCombs_Mossberg464.htm
Old December 3, 2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Uncle Ben

KBG, aren't these affective up to 200 yards? I can't imagine using only the open sights up to that distance, but I am a beginner...
Old December 3, 2008, 11:23 AM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If I can see it well in the scope I might exceed 150 but that is due to my limiting my shot for offhand only shots. 200 is still in kill range and with the hornady leverevolution ammo 300..
Brent
Old December 3, 2008, 01:23 PM   #19
Sarge

The 30-30 with common ammunition still kills well at 235 yards or so. I whacked a forkhorn at that distance with basic 150 grain WW ammo, and knocked a thumb-sized chunk of bone out the off-side shoulder.