The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 22, 2018, 12:59 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Rings and rail recommendation

I have a Savage 12FV .223 and Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope needing rings and rail. I was thinking of getting Burris rings and Warne 1 piece rail.

I know many people have their own preference, but I rather ask here than at a store where they are trying to get me to buy the most expensive one.

Thanks in advanced.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:01 PM   #2
ninosdemente

On the side note, there is a member who mentioned he has EGW rail 20MOA, which he explained to me. After reading what I found online, it said really necessary for past 400yds.

At the moment, the limit of range I go to is 200yds. But hopefully one day I can go past this.
Old May 22, 2018, 02:06 PM   #3
ilmonster

I have a Rem 700 in .223 that I shoot out to 300yds (so far), and have an EGW 0' rail on it with TPS TSR rings. I've had this combination for a few years with a Vortex PST II scope and formerly a Vortex HS scope, and it has all stayed tight and accurate. Highly recommended!

p.s. did use proper torque settings and blue locktite when setting up.
Old May 22, 2018, 02:59 PM   #4
std7mag

Ilmonster,
He doesn't have the base or rings yet.

Nino,
The Burris rings, and Warne base will do you just fine. If your ordering a Warne base, might suggest you do one stop shopping and get their rings.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 22, 2018, 03:28 PM   #5
ninosdemente

When getting the rings, is it ideal for the scope to be as low as possible?
Old May 22, 2018, 04:30 PM   #6
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
When getting the rings, is it ideal for the scope to be as low as possible?
Not necessarily, but likely. It depends on the stock, your head, and the scope itself. I have my 6-24x50 mounted with about 1/16" gap between the barrel and the scope. It's tilted about 15MOA with Burris Signature Rings using the offset spacers. Lines up perfect with my eye prone or from the bench.

I personally think it's hard to beat the Burris Signature rings. You can tilt your scope, no lapping, and you can fix minor misalignment of the rifles mounting holes. I've heard complaints that they're not as precisely made as they once were but they've never failed me in 5 sets of them in both 1" and 30mm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2018, 05:20 PM   #7
RC20

I have Warne rails and Warne rings. They are metal (rail is aluminum)

Lower is better as long as it clears the gun ok. Usualy mediums

Warn has an app that matches up rings with gun and mount.
Old May 22, 2018, 06:47 PM   #8
ninosdemente

Yes, did check with the Warne site. Is one piece better than the two piece? They give both options.
Old May 22, 2018, 06:48 PM   #9
ninosdemente

For the 30-06 rifle I actually purchased Burris Xtreme rings. I actually found them cheaper on Amazon than at the store.
Old May 22, 2018, 07:36 PM   #10
DPI7800

Love Warne bases! All of my rifles, get Nightforce ultralight rings except my sons Ruger America, and that is because it is topped with an Aimpoint for now.
Old May 22, 2018, 08:47 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have always used two-piece bases. Four screws in shear rather than three. Better access to the magazine and chamber.

People comment about the stiffening effect of a one-piece base, but I have difficulty believing that--or seeing any real need for it.
Old May 23, 2018, 05:20 AM   #12
Mobuck

You don't have to spend $100 to mount a scope. I've used numerous types/brands and all have plus and minus features.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:10 AM   #13
Don Fischer

I've had a lot of Weaver ring's and base's in my life, they never failed me. Even had a set of Tasco's tears ago. They never failed either but they were butt ugly! I don't see an advantage to any style or make of rings so long as you can stand to look at them. Get into those 20 MOA, I think that's what they are called, for extreme range shooting and got nothing to say. I have never shot extreme range. I do have a set of very old Redfield one piece base and it's worked fine since 1945! Have a couple set's of Leupold and they work fine. Mostly I like the way they look though!
Old May 23, 2018, 08:24 PM   #14
ninosdemente

Would anyone be able to recommend a 20 MOA mount. I went to Amazon and found this EGW but according to one of the reviews it didn't fit the 12FV well.

https://www.amazon.com/Savage-Picati...P9D2ZDXX4YGY94

If can't find there is a Warne 2 piece online. But would like to get a 20moa.

Looking at amazon as would like to get shipped for Friday to use on Saturday. Din't have any luck with Warne or other brand.

Thanks.