The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 15, 2020, 08:24 PM   #1
Quick1

Best Competition 9mm under $2K

I am fixin to pick up my first competition 9mm pistol, so looking for recommendations on the best competition 9mm pistol for under $2K. My going in plan after a bunch of initial research is the CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange. What are your thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks
Old April 16, 2020, 04:41 PM   #2
BringEnoughGun

I shot a TSO at the range and loved it. They were kind of hard to find, but I got one. I love it!! I see a couple of other guys at our range have them now also. I have heard no complaints. I'm convinced you won't be sorry if you get one.
If you find a decent holster reasonably priced, please share!!
Old April 16, 2020, 05:59 PM   #3
HighDesert

Depending on the competition, you may not be able to run an SAO trigger. I stuck with the Shadow 2 for that reason. You could hardly go wrong with either.
Old April 16, 2020, 07:47 PM   #4
rc

You can't go wrong with a CZ! But I would look at the SP01 for $650 or so.
Old April 16, 2020, 08:13 PM   #5
bobn

I have been getting along with a tp9sfx canick lately. nice trigger, sits in my hand really well. it is their longer barreled gun. bob
Old April 16, 2020, 10:00 PM   #6
Jim Watson

What competition?
Old April 16, 2020, 10:35 PM   #7
TXAZ

You may be able to find a Sig Mastershop series 9mm for under $2K.
They are finely tuned pistols that are very accurate.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 17, 2020, 07:54 AM   #8
gbclarkson

Walther Q5 match
Old April 17, 2020, 07:59 AM   #9
Quick1

Gentleman, thanks for the comments, I will take a careful look at each recommendation.

Jim, specifically to your question, the honest answer is I do not really plan to compete. I shoot for fun, but being that I am highly competitive I am worried that if I get into competition it will lose the fun aspect. I may get into some comps at my local range, but nothing serious. In the end, I am just looking for a really nice race style gun that I can do tactical and competition style shooting with on my own.
Old April 17, 2020, 08:19 AM   #10
Jim Watson

Strange, to me competing IS the fun, all else is practice and preparation.

Although among non-1911s, I would prefer CZ or Walther, the Sig P320 X5 Legion has a strong following. Be sure to go for all the alphabet soup, there are a lot of variants but the X5 Legion is the "range gun."
Old April 17, 2020, 08:26 AM   #11
HighDesert

Surprised someone hasn’t said Sig P210 Target yet. If I weren’t going with CZ that would be my next choice.
Old April 17, 2020, 08:33 AM   #12
Jim Watson

Yes, that is a fine accurate pistol that ought to suit the OP, although it is not really well suited for any competition I know of except maybe NRA Centerfire in a sea of 1911s.
Old April 17, 2020, 09:20 AM   #13
stinkeypete

The OP says he doesn’t know WHICH competition so my consistent advice is “join a club! Get to know the fellas! Find out what the local competitions are!”

You may find out that what you really want is a Springfield bullseye .45 or a pair of Uberti .357’s or a S&W Model 41 .22

The thing about running out and buying a $1800 Shadow 2 from Cajun Gunworks is maybe you should spend $1995 on a cz75 “production” class gun from czCustoms or maybe just buy a CZ75 because if you really want, I know a guy selling his Shadow 2 for $1000... and $800 will get you a nice reloading press and supplies for the apocalypse... so you can plink away until competitions start up again.

Not to mention... I think cash is king now. Lots of guys have multiple nice race gun toys in the safe and may need to sell them in a few months. Some decent trades might be in the works while right now ammo is hard to find.
Old April 17, 2020, 06:52 PM   #14
44caliberkid

I don't know anything about this class of pistols, but how does the EAA Witness Elite fair with the other arms mentioned?
Old April 17, 2020, 08:04 PM   #15
JJ45

I don't own a Colt Competition Series 1911 in 9mm but I do own two 1911s among many other handguns I have or have had.

I can't imagine a better trigger on a handgun and they can be had for under $1000
Old April 18, 2020, 05:59 AM   #16
Bfglowkey

If you want a sompetiton style gun without any plans to compete then the suggestion of the CanIk TP9 SFX is something to seriously consider. It is just way more gun then what the price tag suggests. Perhaps the closest thing to a Walther Match pistil without being one. All the money you save on the pistol you can get a RMR ( Holosun or trij) and just have a silly fun time reliving your John Wick fantasies. Love mine and it always makes people go “ It was how much?” When they shoot it.
Old April 18, 2020, 09:36 AM   #17
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
I don't know anything about this class of pistols, but how does the EAA Witness Elite fair with the other arms mentioned?
Tangfolios are essentially Italian copies of the CZ firearm. The Elite is very close to the Shadow 2 models, but a bit of difference in the dustcover in looks. Internally, they are different. Sweet pistols.
Old April 18, 2020, 10:06 AM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
What competition?
This question still has not been answered. And it's important, because each type of competition has its own rules, and those rules usually affect what equipment may or may not be used. I know the OP (Quick1) said he doesn't compete but wants to do competition-type shooting on his own. That's fine, but it still begs the question: What kind of competition? Bullseye, three gun, bowling pins, steel plates, IDPA, USPSA? I saw "race gun" mentioned, and I think it's probable that a race gun aimed at one of those types of competition may not be allowed in others, so a "race gun" may not be a good choice.
Jeepaholic
Old April 18, 2020, 10:36 AM   #19
Jim Watson

I generally take "race gun" to mean a USPSA Open or Limited pistol.
But I think it likely that the OP does not know details of the wide range of venues and their equipment.

I know that a good 1911 would serve all the events you list. I don't care to analyze the catalogs to see what all the other stuff mentioned above would be good for.
Old April 18, 2020, 10:53 AM   #20
GlenF

Hello Quick1. I share your interest in having a super accurate pistol just because hitting the target is a whole lot of fun just by itself.

My wife and I got to try a CZ Shadow2 and got it just to target shoot. After trying a CZ Tactical Sport Orange, it over shadowed the Shadow 2 and we now have a TSO in 9 and 40. And yes, the Shadow 2 is still with us because it's a very fine pistol.

The TSO trigger makes it just that much better than a Shadow2.
Old April 18, 2020, 01:00 PM   #21
stinkeypete

One thing I notice about "shoot em really fast" guns is everyone says stuff like "Oh it's really accurate" but no one puts them in a Ransom Rest or puts them on sandbags at 50 yards are shows a picture of a group of 5.

My old Bullseye .45 (had a dot sight) was "Reasonably Accurate" and from 50 yards I could cover 5 holes (mostly) with a hockey puck. (a bit over 3" outside edge to outside edge.)

Rather than sitting in the gun safe for 20 years, I sold it to an up and coming club member for what I got it for (as I got it used from a club member for what he bought it for) along with brass and half a big box of cast wadcutters.

So now I am having fun looking for something... not to replace it.. I will stick to .22 this winter for club league.. but just for fun.

After much consideration I am thinking of a 1911 in 9mm. A good quality 1911 can always be slicked up and lots of them are great shooters right out of the box. No one ever said "My 1911 has a great trigger... it's almost as good as a 1911!"
Old April 18, 2020, 11:20 PM   #22
☼SIG☼

I recently purchased a CZ Shadow 2 Orange and love it. I needed DA/SA and wanted the bushing. But a TS Orange is a great pistol. The SAO trigger is sweet. If it meets your competition rules... do it.
Old April 19, 2020, 09:26 AM   #23
BillM

I shoot primarily USPSA. Been at it for 19 years. The current Production/Carry Optic
flavor of the month appears to be the Sig P320 X-5 Legion.
Old April 19, 2020, 09:49 AM   #24
Quick1

All, thanks for all the continued replies, I am taking a look and watching videos on each gun mentioned.

But, it keeps coming up about what competition and rules. Aguila Blanca listed off several types of competitions and that not all guns would be allowed in all the different types of competitions. While I am certainly not well versed in the rules of all the competitions, at this time I do not want to be. If I get into competitions in the future, I will take the time to understand the rules and ensure I purchase a pistol to meet them.

As of now, I just want a really nice 9mm pistol I can take to the range and shoot everything from paper, steel, bowling pins, tactical scenarios and so on...and have about $2000 to spend. I want it to be fast, accurate, have a amazing trigger, low recoil, reliable and if possible be able to take a red dot since my eyes can no longer really see iron sights well.

Again, thanks to everyone who has taken time to reply, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and look forward to any other gun recommendations which may come!
Old April 19, 2020, 10:06 AM   #25
HighDesert

Take a look at this link for the optics mounting options for the available CZ lines. Not sure where the other brands sit with respects to adaptability. https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/red-dot-mounting.html

Not knowing which competition does make things tougher. I don't have a ton of experience with them either. I've done a bunch of shooting at a local range and had a blast. I was using my Glock at the time and competing in the Production class. I walked over to the Limited class and was instantly intimidated. Those guys were all using space-aged pistols that didn't even look recognizable as a pistol, so I wanted to stay in the Production class.

I also didn't want to limit my options as much, so the DA/SA trigger on the Shadow 2 made sense. I can fire it SA cocked and locked or DA on first shot depending on rules. If I decide to go full out SA, it's a cheap conversion. The barrel busing and tuned trigger on the orange is a nice to have, but the bushing is $70 and the short reset disconnect another $70. That made it frighteningly close to the orange, so I kept with the blue.

If you can find the orange and don't mind the extra spend, that's a great gun. The TSO can be limited in some competitions, but honestly, if I could swing one of those, I'd get that too. Who knows, I just may someday...unless, I can go all in on a Szechmate! Not sure I'd ever be good enough to compete with that, but that's an amazing looking and feeling piece of hardware.

Last edited by HighDesert; April 19, 2020 at 10:28 AM.