The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2020, 07:33 PM   #126
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
A friend is taking one back to see if the dealer will help him get it fixed.
Persistent light strike misfires with his usual Federals.
Does it have light strikes with other ammo?
Old March 4, 2020, 08:20 PM   #127
9x19

Mine has been problem free, four magazines, five different types of ammunition:

Federal bulk (WalMart)
Federal Spitfire (truncated cone bullet, from the 90s)
CCI Mini Mag
Win 555 (bulk from this decade)
CCI Stinger

Old March 5, 2020, 02:23 AM   #128
Bill DeShivs

Some things are better left unsaid.
Old March 5, 2020, 07:56 AM   #129
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
The OP (me) didn't say anything about limited magazine capacity.
But- since you mentioned it, Keltec has a new .22lr pistol with 33 round capacity, and a smaller model with 17 round capacity.
Do they work?

Im always leary of Kel Tecs stuff. They have some interesting ideas but they always seem to come up short in the execution. Ive had a few of their guns over the years, and at this point, dont bother any more.

From the sounds of it, Taurus seems to have got 15 their rounders to work. Now all they have to do is to somehow get some sort of a rep back on their guns and they might have something.

I know some people are making the mag capacity a big deal with the Glocks, but the majority of 22 autos out there have 10 round mags, so what that big deal is, Im not sure.

Maybe Pro Mag can come up with something more high cap for those who need it.
Old March 5, 2020, 09:19 AM   #130
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Do they work?

Im always leary of Kel Tecs stuff. They have some interesting ideas but they always seem to come up short in the execution. Ive had a few of their guns over the years, and at this point, dont bother any more.

From the sounds of it, Taurus seems to have got 15 their rounders to work. Now all they have to do is to somehow get some sort of a rep back on their guns and they might have something.

I know some people are making the mag capacity a big deal with the Glocks, but the majority of 22 autos out there have 10 round mags, so what that big deal is, Im not sure.

Maybe Pro Mag can come up with something more high cap for those who need it.
Dunno about the P17, but then CP33 is very susceptible to rimlock if the mags aren’t loaded exactly right.
Old March 5, 2020, 11:38 AM   #131
Fishbed77

Quote:
Those are the same two main reviews that keep getting posted and pushed by those who seem to want to push the negative and want to pound on them.
A quick Youtube search will show many more videos of issues from at least semi-respectable reviewers.

I agree that the internet skews negative whenever possible, but even anecdotal evidence can add up.

I'm not willing to write off the 44 yet, but I'm going to wait for more evidence that these early issues are resolved (and for 15-round magazines and an affordable 1/2x28 threaded barrel option) before I spend any money on one.
Old March 5, 2020, 11:55 AM   #132
Carl the Floor Walker

I was watching a Youtube video of Hickcock45 review a firearm. You could see his irritation when he said and a I will paraphrase. 'This gun has not had any failures, this one I have in my hand. I know how the internet has bcome, there will always be the Bashers that will say all kinds of things. But this gun has not blown up in my hand, and has been reliable, this gun, the one I have in my hand'! He went on to say that he does not get on any forums.

I would say all three of the new 22's Glock, Keltec and and the Taurus are all getting slammed by the usual bashers. One guy has a failure and then 1,000 posters will parrot and start to bash. It is the new thing now on the internet.

Personally if I were in the market for one, I would try out all three, not worry about the Intenet and make my own decisions. I would also bet the odds of getting a bad one of either brand about 1%. And that 1% will turn into 90% from the internet.

Take 10,000 guns sold, and one poster post that he had a problem, then this in turn lights up all the 1 Percenters who had a problem, who then jump on the burning dog.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; March 5, 2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old March 5, 2020, 12:11 PM   #133
TunnelRat

I think saying the issues are only present in 1% of firearms is as much of an exaggeration as saying the issues are widespread, perhaps more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 5, 2020, 12:32 PM   #134
Carl the Floor Walker

And I would disagree to a extent. But not much more depending on the manufacturer. Maybe as high 5 to a max of 10% with some as little as less than 2%.
Old March 5, 2020, 12:34 PM   #135
TunnelRat

For someone whose occupation is math based, the difference between 1% and 10% is pretty dramatic, especially when we’re talking products sold in the thousands. My point is exaggeration exists on both sides.

Old March 5, 2020, 12:39 PM   #136
Carl the Floor Walker

You are right. take back the 10%. Much too high. Will stick with 1%. And these would be legitimate issues. Actually saw a study on one manufacture that well respected writer went to the manufactuer and look at the satistics of the return. Of the gun returned, most had no problems and the ones that were represented .6%
Old March 5, 2020, 12:47 PM   #137
TunnelRat

So he went and looked at a company’s records of their own returns? Seems like something that a company might be incentivized to lie about or skew the results.

Old March 5, 2020, 12:53 PM   #138
Carl the Floor Walker

Yep, and the writer is very respected in the Gun World and from him he said that the person he visited was a very old friend whom he trusted. Maybe they both are liars. I don't believe they are but you are free to choose what you believe.
Old March 5, 2020, 01:09 PM   #139
AK103K

I think the one thing thats often left out of all of this is the lowest common denominator. The operator.

How many guns are declared junk and dont (appear to) work, simply because the person using it, wont even open the manual and follow the manufacturer's directions/suggestions?

How many just dont know how to shoot properly?

Ive made out because of both.

I had both the SIG Mosquito and the Walther P22's when they first came out, and was amazed at all the bad press they got, and all the troubles so many seemed to be having, yet mine both seemed to work very well.

That is, as long as I used the recommended ammo, and/or ammo they liked, and in the one guns case, the proper (supplied) spring for the ammo being used.

When I asked a couple of people that were having trouble if they were using the right spring for the ammo, as the manual stated, the answer was. "what spring?". That was all explained in the manual. Guess they missed it.

I bought a month old Glock 17 from my local dealer, who had sold it earlier in the month to a boy, who brought it right back in complaining of brass to the face. The gun went back to Glock, and they were nice enough to rebuild the whole slide. The parts list of replaced parts was in the box when I bought it.

He took it out when it came back, shot it, and brought it right back complaining of the same exact thing. Brass to the face. He traded it in on something else.

I got it for around $400. Basically a brand new gun. I have over a thousand rounds through the gun at this point, and have yet to have one piece of brass come anywhere near my head. Im betting there was nothing wrong with the gun in the first place. Im sure hes probably going around telling everyone who will listen, the guns are junk.

I just hope he buys more. I like getting deals.
Old March 5, 2020, 02:42 PM   #140
TunnelRat

Glock's new 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Yep, and the writer is very respected in the Gun World and from him he said that the person he visited was a very old friend whom he trusted. Maybe they both are liars. I don't believe they are but you are free to choose what you believe.

When it comes to self reporting from companies I tend to be skeptical, based on history and my own experience. I don’t see that as calling people liars, as to me it’s not personal. It has nothing really to do with who the writer was/is or who the employee was/is. It’s just my standard practice.

Does this person have a name, or is it a secret? I don’t doubt your story at all, it just seems weird that we just don’t use the name directly.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 5, 2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old March 5, 2020, 02:53 PM   #141
TunnelRat

Glock's new 22

I have seen the brass to the face issue personally. I am a right handed but left eye dominant shooter. The end result is the brass comes closer to me than it does on other shooters as the pistol is shifted over to the left in front of me (similar to a left handed versus right handed person). Glocks are also the only pistol I have had where that issue was as noticeable, to the point where I almost gave up on them. The Gen 5s I have now (MOS versions) actually have an additional cut to the left of the breach face that helps hold the case in place (which is a factory change that I first read about on GT). The end result is dramatically better ejection than the other Glocks I owned. So was I a factor? Absolutely. But was the pistol also a factor? It seems like it was to an extent.

There are absolutely some issues that are exacerbated by shooters or solely due to shooters. There are also some problems that seem more common with certain manufacturers. I’ve seen some plenty of people blame the tool rather than themselves. I’ve also seen people with legitimate problems blame themselves out of a lack of confidence. It does go both ways. I’ve also seen people have issues with a firearm and shrug them off completely because they didn’t want to bother to send it back.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 5, 2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old March 5, 2020, 05:08 PM   #142
Carl the Floor Walker

I think many of us can use our own life experiences to determine what is a reasonable rate of failure. How many times have some of us that have been shooting for years, seen a gun blamed for shooter error. Or some problem that had a simple fix. I will not go into the review or report, but that would just go south anyway. Take it for what it is worth, but the writer that did the reporting was Massad Ahoob. I respect the man, his experience, others will bash him and the report. So in essence it means nothing.

Like I said earlier, shoot all three of the guns and make your own decision. If you feel like the internet forums are a good source that is fine. If not that is fine as well.
Old March 5, 2020, 05:30 PM   #143
TunnelRat

Thank you for the name.

Is there exaggeration on forums? Sure. Before forums it was the gun store and there was and is even more exaggeration there. I do have to admit, I find a certain degree of irony in someone on a forum stating that people should ignore the forums and go out and find out for themselves. You’re saying that on a forum. If the forums have no point, what are we doing here? Now that said I mostly agree with you. I don’t think any person should chose to buy or not buy a firearm based solely on one review or forum post. I don’t think the forums are completely without merit, however.

Most of what is presented, online or in a magazine, are samples of one. It’s hard to draw definitive conclusions from that. When I read negative reviews I look for a similar such reviews with the same reported problems. When I start seeing trends then I might get concerned. In my experience the problems traceable to the user alone are pretty obvious from the way the review is written.

Old March 5, 2020, 07:00 PM   #144
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I don’t think the forums are completely without merit, however.
They arent, and they are, or can be a valuable resource. The non-experience background "static" can also be very frustrating too though.

Everyone seems to have an opinion, whether they have actual experience or not, and its hard to know whats what sometimes, and whats based on experience/fact, or based on something else.

For me, the easiest thing is just to get one of what interests me, and see how it goes. Then, one way or the other, I know.

It is kind of entertaining though when you have something that works, and works well, and you get pounced on for it by those who dont have one and/or havent shot one, and they are basing everything they know, on what they have heard or watched on the internet.
Old March 5, 2020, 07:07 PM   #145
9x19

Quote:
...I would say all three of the new 22's Glock, Keltec and and the Taurus are all getting slammed by the usual bashers. One guy has a failure and then 1,000 posters will parrot and start to bash. It is the new thing now on the internet...
New? Nope... I've been a member here a long, long time, and the bashing is not new... in fact, I believe such is the reason Tamara once coined the signature iine: All handguns suck!

Doesn't matter the make, model, or caliber... somebody will have problems, while someone else will not.

I am a subscriber to three youtoob channels. One is a singer's channel, one is my Grandson's and the other belongs to a long-time internet friend. I find those are plenty.

Last edited by 9x19; March 5, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old March 6, 2020, 08:26 AM   #146
Bfglowkey

Internet reviews can be tricky but really we find a reviewer we connect with or feel comfortable with ( much like we used to do when buying from LGS’s...fund one you liked) and see what they have to say. If your expectation is not what they are selling.. try one for yourself. I have been holding off on another 22 pistol for a while, currently own and love the S&W MP 22 full size w/ 2extra 12 round mags. It is a great fun and really only dislikes one type of federal bulk which is ok with me. I will be picking up at least 2 more 22s in the near future and both the Taurus and the glock are on the short list of candidates. The fun part is the testing ������
Old March 6, 2020, 09:59 AM   #147
triplebike

If I were you I would definitely check the barrel of the Taurus tx22 before you buy one. I have never seen a good Taurus tx22 barrel & Ive looked at probably 25 from different LGS,s. The gun was released over a year ago and they still haven't solved the barrel problem. The other problem with the tx22 is the recoil assembly. The end of the assembly is razor sharp & It grinds away the front of the slide. It caused my slide to crack after 4500 rds. LLC LAKELAND has come out with a recoil assembly to solve the problem because Taurus will not. I would buy the Glock over the tx22 hands down for no other reason than if the Glock does have a problem Glock will SOLVE the problem. Taurus just replaces bad parts with new bad parts and it takes them 8-11 weeks before you see your firearm again.

Last edited by triplebike; March 6, 2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old March 10, 2020, 11:50 PM   #148
Blue Duck

My dealer has two of these in stock. I handled one of them and frankly, I liked it, for what it is. I think he is going to go ahead and shoot one of them and if he does, then I will get to shoot it, probably. Will know more after that.

One thing I like about it is it's very light weight. Would make a good packing gun for around on the farm, if it shoots and works good. I wish they would come out with one in .22 mag that was reliable, and shot good. We'll see, I guess.
Old March 17, 2020, 11:43 PM   #149
Blue Duck

Ok, I finally got to shoot one of these new Glock 22's as my dealer let me take one out and shoot it, today. It was brand new, never fired, before I shot it.

Ok, not much of a test, as I only shot about 50 rounds. I shot some partial boxes, 2 different brands. One brand was Blaser and the other was (I can't remember) and can't spell it. Agilia, I think it was. Neither one are brands I normally shoot.

Results:
No malfunctions of any kind. It shot to point of aim. I could easily shoot a snake in the head if needed. The trigger was pretty darned good for a Glock, what can I say, it was a Glock.
End result; I bought it. I am not a Glock fanboy, but I do own several. They're just tools, and I definitely didn't need another Glock, or another .22 pistol, but I liked it because it operates exactly like it's brother the G19, is pretty accurate, and seems to be reliable, 100% so far. But for me personally, I really like it because it's so light, much lighter then about any other .22 pistol or revolver I own, by a bunch.

It does sort of fill a role for me, I think, as a very light, carry gun for around on the farm, when a .22 is probably all I need anyway, and I don't want to carry anything heavier, dragging my pants down. If it had not been 100% reliable, I would have passed on it, but out of the box, that's a pretty good sign for me. I don't know where all of the bashing is coming from, on this gun. But then maybe my particular specimen is better then the average lot of them. That is usually not my luck though, as I usually always get a lemon, if ones to be had.
Old March 23, 2020, 04:07 PM   #150
Carl the Floor Walker

Finally saw a real review on another gun forum. Instead of the same old Taurus Bashing, he broke them down and compared side by side. Which is the way firearms should be compared. Maybe not so much in a 22.cal but for sure in 380 and up. Then he compared targets, slow fire and fast fire. Both shot very well and both nice guns. The Glock did use steel vs aluminum, but do not think this matters in a 22.cal, but for sure in other calibers. By the way the Taurus did better in accuracy in slow fire.
Both of these guns seem like very nice purchases. By the way, I do not own a Glock or Taurus so have no bias in this fight.