The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2017, 06:53 AM   #1
CrisTurk

G3 trigger tension adjustment

I'm using a G3. My problem with this weapon is that i have long fingers, and the trigger pull is rather heavy.

With my finger in the correct position I end up twisting the rifle to the side because I have to apply more force than I can do accurately, or taking about half a second longer for each shot to get the trigger pull right by slowly increasing the pressure. This is a problem since I want to shoot quickly and accurately.

My first solution was to buy a new trigger pack and grip. I got a brand new one fairly cheap. It was a step up from my old one, but the problem remains.

Does anyone here have any information about how to decrease the tension on the trigger? I've made alterations to this weapon before to suit my needs, so I'm not a beginner. However I've never touched the trigger pack, and there's very little information available on the G3 trigger pack.

Sincerely yours
CrisTurk
Old April 15, 2017, 05:53 PM   #2
tangolima

I have a ptr91, which is a g3 clone. I did a trigger job on it. The trigger pull now is much more agreeable than before.

For liability, I will not share the details of refitting the sear to reduce the creep, and the pull weight. But part of the modification is to replace the main spring with a lighter MP5 part. That notedly reduces the pull weight. Theoretically it increases the probability of misfires. But I have never had any issue even with military primers.

G3's fire control is very similar to m1 carbine. Do your own research and proceed with caution, and at your peril. Good luck.

-TL
Old April 16, 2017, 12:26 PM   #3
CrisTurk

Quote:
But part of the modification is to replace the main spring with a lighter MP5 part.
Thank you!

I had just smoothed down the sear with a 3000 grit knife sharpener. Decreased the angle by just a few degrees without getting neutral/negative hammer engagement. The mirror finish I got also helped a bit, but not nearly as much as I wanted.

Do you mean the hammer spring (part 3.2.5 on the image below), trigger spring (3.2.13) or the elbow spring with roller (3.2.15)?

Last edited by CrisTurk; April 16, 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old April 16, 2017, 01:15 PM   #4
tangolima

It is the hammer spring 3.2.5.

Be very careful when modifying the sear. The safety only blocks the trigger. The trigger is a fake 2-stage; it doesn't have more sear engagement when fully relaxed.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old April 16, 2017, 06:34 PM   #5
dakota.potts

Doesn't Bill Springfield do trigger jobs on these for like $65? I've never heard anything but good out of his work.

Tags
trigger job