The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 8, 2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Kyo

best range trip evar!

Ok, so I am a little excited. This past saturday I got to shoot 4 different guns and it was pretty nice. Here's the full story.
Me+dad+gf come into the range. I have my P345 +100 reloads. He buys a box of Atlanta Arms and Ammo for his Baby Eagle 45.
We start popping rounds off. I ask the gf if she wants to shoot. No is the answer. This is relevant because she's been bugging me to go, saying she wants to...so we all went. Anyway. Shooting continues.
In comes a guy, with a 50 Action Express. Its chrome, its HUGE, and my dad wants to shoot it...the guy is nice. Lets my dad try it out. Then I come over there and look at it. The owner says "try it out" so I put it in my hands. I am 5'10 and 150 pounds maybe on a heavy day, more like 145. I pull the trigger on this thing and it feels like someone punched me in the hand. Its CRAZY heavy recoil. After my 1 shot I put it down and said "too much f____ gun..." and walked off back to my lane. My dad let him try his baby eagle. The owner liked it so much he offered to buy it.
Well, then there was a guy shooting with his GF/wife. Middle aged. He saw my GF refusing, and asked her if she wanted to try his .22. Well, she did. she shot her first gun ever, and we went off to rent one. As a thanks, I let the guy try my P345. He was telling me about his .40 and how much recoil it had, and I told him he had to try mine out. He shot a mag and was impressed on how light the recoil was. After a box of 100 22's and the gun going through my dad's, mine, and my GF's, I decided I might get a .22 in the near future.
Well, then a guy beside our lane had this 1911 that looked kinda funny. So I asked him about it. He showed me 2 of them. Para Ordinance once. The funny part was that they are DOUBLE ACTION 1911's! Never seen those before! He let me shoot it, and man the recoil on that thing is heavy! The trigger was super light even for a DA. Told me he looked for years for a 1911 thats double action, and its a double stack 14 round is what he said. he also had a compact one that was too small for me to want to shoot. I let him try my P345, he liked it.
All in all I got to shoot 4 different guns, and learned lots of new things. Girls like the easy stuff first. .50 AE is too much gun, and a .22 is fun to shoot.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old November 9, 2009, 02:18 AM   #2
armoredman

.22 is ALWAYS fun to shoot! Sounds like you had a great day, glad to hear it, and good to get the gf involved!