The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 24, 2020, 11:04 AM   #1
bspillman

Springfield XD Mod2

Are there issues with the XD9 Mod2 or is it just politics that has them falling out of favor with the gun community? I can get a good deal on one. I don’t care about politics so to speak but if there are issues with them I’d like to know. Thanks.
Old April 25, 2020, 09:32 AM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspillman View Post
Are there issues with the XD9 Mod2 or is it just politics that has them falling out of favor with the gun community? I can get a good deal on one. I don’t care about politics so to speak but if there are issues with them I’d like to know. Thanks.
You're getting a good deal, because Springfield has dropped the XD Mod. 2. Check out their site. XD Mod.2 (as opposed to the XDM, new "XDM Elite", XDS and XDE, and the budget line XD "Defender") is gone.

The politics? Springfield's lobbyist's backroom deal on the FFL licensing bill tipped the balance here in Ill-i-noise at a bad time. But I doubt most people elsewhere care.

The general unhinged XD hate one sees out there is one of those weird self amplifying social media things.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; April 25, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old April 25, 2020, 11:26 AM   #3
kmw1954

The only issue I know of is that the XDS and Mod2 do not like SWC ammunition it has something to do with the slide. The XDM had a modified slide made for it which corrected the issue.

Wife owns two Mod2 a 9mm and a 45acp.
Old April 26, 2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Nathan

Springfield XD’s are great guns.

Springfield XD’s fall from grace is the result of idiots promoting some farce that the gun can break and become disabled and Glock marketing better their USA Ultra Safe Action.(known as Glockleg maker) to the rest of us!

Every XD I have had fit my hand better than a Glock, shot better and trigger felt better.

As Glockleg became a popular disability, S&W jumped into the market at a lower price, name and better marketing.

XD’s continue to be great guns at a great price. The “grip zone” sounds like BS, but does help shooting grip a lot.
Old April 26, 2020, 11:39 PM   #5
larryf1952

I've got a couple of XD Mod 2 Service full size guns in "Bitone." One is a 9, and the other a 45. The biggest gripe that I've heard about them is over the "Grip Zone" logo molded into the grip, and a lot of folks tend to hate on the grip safety. I guess none of them has ever shot a 1911. I can't even feel the grip safety when I'm holding the gun correctly, which is very comfortable and natural, BTW...Grip Zone or not.

The triggers are a little stiffer than I'd like, but the guns' inherent accuracy is among the best that I've ever experienced with any semiauto that I've ever shot. I was putting 2", 20 round holes into the bullseye, shooting slow fire from a Weaver stance at 10 yards with both of my guns on a pretty regular basis.

The loaded chamber indicator barely stands above the slide, unlike the draw bridge apparatus that the Ruger SR guns are blessed with.

I've also got a couple of Glocks that I like very well. Although I like their triggers a little better, I have to work to shoot them as well as the XD's. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one.
Old April 26, 2020, 11:44 PM   #6
veprdude

The market is (was) saturated with inexpensive striker fired pistols. Also lots of police departments selling (surplussing) Glock and S&W M&P guns. I don't know if Springfield ever got a large LEO contracts but it's hard to compete price-wise with surplus guns so the price must drop.

Can't speak for Mod.2 personally, but I like the whole XD/M lineup. "Problems" seem to be the roll pin at the top of the slide breaking when excessively dry-fired, early XDS had some sort of drop safety issue fixed, and XDM 9's and 40's often will not hold the slide open on empty.

As far as reliability, if the ammo is at least mediocre they will eat almost anything. Stainless mags are nice.

Better than a Glock? Meh. Can't say. They're probably on par and cheaper. For the $3xx price tag for a new one you'd be hard pressed to get something better.
Old April 27, 2020, 08:25 AM   #7
cslinger

Owned a Mod 2 45 sub compact and an original XD 45 compact. The mod 2 didn’t like steel cased ammo, but neither do I so there is that. Both were good guns. I sold them because I moved away from strikers.

The GRIP ZONE was a HUGE marketing blunder. It was hated and ridiculed relentlessly.

I had read that XDs when run hard were much more likely to break but I never saw issues with mine but I don’t run much super hard.

They feel great in the hand.
Old April 27, 2020, 12:24 PM   #8
XDforever

I own and carry the XD Mod 2 SC in 9mm & 45acp. Both are great guns that shoot everything I have fed them. No problems with either.l

Joe
Old April 27, 2020, 01:47 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
The politics? Springfield's lobbyist's backroom deal on the FFL licensing bill tipped the balance here in Ill-i-noise at a bad time. But I doubt most people elsewhere care.
A lot of people outside Illinois cared about SAI's backhanded dealings.
Old April 27, 2020, 02:54 PM   #10
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
A lot of people outside Illinois cared about SAI's backhanded dealings.
Yup, scratched off everything SA from my books. Colt’s AR move hasn’t gone unnoticed either.
Old April 27, 2020, 06:45 PM   #11
2wheelwander

i bought a Mod 2 .45 maybe 5 years ago and really like it. It was an ideal gun to fill a niche I needed at the time. Carried it in a hybrid kydex/leather holster and the spare full size mag as well. Granted it was a .45, but it carried well on my 6'/250lb frame, especially with a sports coat on.

Previously I carried a Glock 22 in uniformed LE and really liked that gun but needed something smaller and with the bigger punch. Always shot the G22 very well very comfortable with it. First time on the range with not more that 50 shells as practice beforehand I shot that Mod 2 two points shy of a perfect score on the Indiana LE handgun course. Still kinda proud of that, but it was due to the gun as much as anything. Its an easy handgun for me to shoot accurately, as mentioned above the Mod 2 is an inherently accurate handgun. For me, its much more accurate than my G22 gen 2 and feels better in the hand than any Glock. I'm not a Glock hater and appreciate them for what they are, but don't think they are the end all beat all of defensive weapons but more like the AK-47 of handguns. The Springifled feels like a better quality firearm to me.

I don't run steel case ammo through my carry guns, do not have 5,000 rounds through mine or run it hard so I can't speak to that. I will tell you its in my biometric safe next to my bed with a flashlight and the handgun I trust to defend my family with.