The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 20, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Arden

Tower flintlock - Can anyone tell me about this gun?

This gun was given to me by a gentleman who is in his 80's. He is British, as I believe is the gun. I don't know anything about it except what I've managed to find online.

It's marks are very faint and look like they have been worn smooth in spots. The word TOWER also looks odd. It's almost a double image...sort of like it was stamped twice.
The crown is almost invisible but I can clearly make out a letter "R" beneath it.

Any info would be appreciated. Mostly I am wondering if it is real or a repro, and if I should get it appraised. TIA

Old March 20, 2011, 04:54 PM   #2
jhenry

That is a reproduction, likely Spanish. Quality varied quite a bit with those. It would make a nice wall hanger, I would be cautious about firing it. If you do, have a competent person examine it, and only use light loads. Black powder only, 2F.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Hawg

It looks like a repro. These were cheaply made in Japan and imported by the thousands in the 70's. They were sold by DGW's for I believe 49.00 They didn't spark well and I remember Dixie offering to tune them for an additional 10.00
Old March 20, 2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Arden

WOW thanks so much for the quick replies! I guess I came to the right place.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

Can only add a ditto to advice already posted.
Good wall hanger.
Old March 21, 2011, 04:10 AM   #6
price7204

I've got one just like it. It resides on my wall and does a most excellent job of just hanging there looking good! Mine is mounted in an old ornate picture frame on a red felt background. It was never designed to shoot except for possibly a very light load with a toilet paper wadding. The barrels were thin and the bores usually off center in these cheap copies. Many were Spanish, but some came in from Japan as well. I did shoot mine a couple of times about 50 years ago. Lots of smoke and a big boom from about 15 grains of 2FG Black Powder. I would never even contemplate firing a ball or a load of shot from the pistol. It really belongs on the wall.

"Don't under estimate us old people. We can't run, but a lot of us know how to REALLY ruin your day!"
Old March 21, 2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Arden

I wasn't planning on firing it.
For now it's going back in the drawer where it's been. I'll probably find a way to display it though, because it looks cool.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Pahoo

Hawg, Is right on the mark on this one and the ones i have seen, have Japan stamped on the breech end of the barrel. Might look to see if you can locate this stamp. I have one that is used strictly for training/demo purposes.

Be Safe !!!