The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2018, 09:45 AM   #1
PlatinumCore16

Sig Sauer Emperor Scorpion

This bad boy is one slick gun. My buddy was gettin married in TN this past weekend and so my other buddy and his fiance, freshly an officer of the peace, wanted to stop by a range seeing as they are from the USSNY and he hasn't ever actually shot a handgun. So she gave her Glock19 with the NYS Police Plus trigger a small break in. Small aside, that is a disservice to police EVERYWHERE. The trigger pull was like 13lbs. It was awful.

Anyways, back to the 1911: I realized I hadn't ever actually shot .45ACP! Those bullets are MASSIVE. Well, at least compared to 9mm. But the gun was extremely satisfying. Fit and finish were great, the trigger pull was smooth, crisp, and extremely repeatable, and the weight balanced perfectly. I will say the grip shape was a little different, very oblong, but I was just guessing that was due to the shape/length of the bullets.

It get's a big A+ for me and both my buddy and his fiance enjoyed it once they got used to the recoil. But that Glock19 NY Police Plus trigger was a big pile of poo. I could even see her developing a bit of a flinch when she had shot very well at the academy.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
So she gave her Glock19 with the NYS Police Plus trigger a small break in. Small aside, that is a disservice to police EVERYWHERE. The trigger pull was like 13lbs. It was awful
I own a police trade-in Glock 19 that came with the NY1 trigger spring. Honestly, I didn't feel that it was that bad. It felt like every other Glock trigger of that time period (2002 production gun) except a bit heavier. Perhaps this example was well broken-in (although the gun itself showed little evidence of ever having been shot much). Regardless, I swapped in a stock trigger spring.
Old May 22, 2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Longhorn1986

I have been drooling over a P220 Emperor Scorpion in 10mm. I may need to save my pesos up for one before too long.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:49 AM   #4
agtman

Quote:
I have been drooling over a P220 Emperor Scorpion in 10mm. I may need to save my pesos up for one before too long.
Save away ... You'll love it.

I've got the stainless Elite P220 in 10mm, the fixed night-sight model. Great gun, accurate and built Tank-tough, albeit the 8-rd mag capacity is overly stingy.

Sig should've offered a P220 model in 10mm decades ago. Had they done so, likely as not, the departments and LEAs which initially choose Smith's 5" 1006, 1026 - or even the .45 model, the 4506 (which LAPD issued for a time) - would have gone with the Sig.
Old May 23, 2018, 04:19 PM   #5
disseminator

My next purchase will be the SIG 1911 Emperor Scorpion. So sweet.
Old May 24, 2018, 07:05 AM   #6
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
I own a police trade-in Glock 19 that came with the NY1 trigger spring. Honestly, I didn't feel that it was that bad. It felt like every other Glock trigger of that time period (2002 production gun) except a bit heavier. Perhaps this example was well broken-in (although the gun itself showed little evidence of ever having been shot much). Regardless, I swapped in a stock trigger spring.
It is possible that given a few hundred rounds, it would be a little smoother, but I felt the pull weight was quite a bit more than it should be. She had said that the reasoning behind the trigger was "to help prevent negligent discharges/shooting of suspects that don't need to be shot". The first is preventable with training/proper safety and I suspect the second is also training.

It feels like a legislative attempt to help avoid blame.
Old May 24, 2018, 07:07 AM   #7
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator View Post
My next purchase will be the SIG 1911 Emperor Scorpion. So sweet.
Meant to post a picture, it really was! If I had $1200 sittin around, I would go for it.
Old May 24, 2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
It is possible that given a few hundred rounds, it would be a little smoother, but I felt the pull weight was quite a bit more than it should be. She had said that the reasoning behind the trigger was "to help prevent negligent discharges/shooting of suspects that don't need to be shot". The first is preventable with training/proper safety and I suspect the second is also training.

It feels like a legislative attempt to help avoid blame.
Considering the NYPD's recent track record of shooting innocent bystanders, the heavier trigger is doing them no favors.
Old May 24, 2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Model12Win

I like it when I've shot my 9s for a while and pull out the .45 and ammo for a range trip.

The box of 230 grain .45s is heavy! And they do look much bigger than the 9s after you've dealt with 9s for a while. Love that cartridge!
Old May 24, 2018, 10:05 AM   #10
carguychris

Is it just me, or does "Emperor Scorpion" sound like the name of the boss villain in an 80s low-budget fantasy action movie?
Old May 24, 2018, 01:47 PM   #11
agtman

Quote:
Is it just me, or does "Emperor Scorpion" sound like the name of the boss villain in an 80s low-budget fantasy action movie?

... Or one of those Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson action films.
Old May 24, 2018, 02:04 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Judging by a lot of SIG Sauer's offerings over the past 15 years, they have been spending too much time watching 80s movies and not enough on the range.

Last edited by Fishbed77; May 24, 2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old May 24, 2018, 03:42 PM   #13
PlatinumCore16

Completely agree with the cheesy name, it is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Considering the NYPD's recent track record of shooting innocent bystanders, the heavier trigger is doing them no favors.
I haven't stayed up to the news very well, so I am a little oblivious to this, but investing in training will have wayyy more to do than a slightly stronger spring. Even my friend's fiance said the only time she is required to shoot is during qualifications. How is that still common practice for law enforcement? There is no excuse not to go to the range every weekend and shoot 50-200rds in various positions and grips *WHEN IT'S YOUR JOB*. I think we'd see a lot less "accidents" if that were the requirement. Even just once a month.

I am not law enforcement and I go to the range/try to get to the range, at minimum, once a month. As a law abiding citizen who exercises my 2nd amendment right, I feel it is my duty to myself and those around me to practice to proficiency.
Old May 24, 2018, 03:54 PM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
I haven't stayed up to the news very well, so I am a little oblivious to this, but investing in training will have wayyy more to do than a slightly stronger spring.
Yes, but the mentality of departments like the NYPD is that it is much easier and cheaper to specify heavier triggers (and then spout off BS that these heavy pulls give officers "time to think about what they are doing" - to reduce department liability) than to properly train officers.

All that said, it is not difficult to master the NY1 trigger if you are willing to put in the range time.
Old May 24, 2018, 04:01 PM   #15
rock185

I'm waitin' for the that new SIG Emperor Scorpion Rainbow Tacops Nightmare Romeo Legion to be released