The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2018, 04:32 AM   #1
Poconolg

Corn Cob Size

I have found 2 sizes of bulk corn cob. One is called 20-40 grit the other is 14-20. Which is better in a vibratory cleaner? They both cost the same, $26 per 40 lbs from Zorro.
Old May 20, 2018, 09:37 AM   #2
F. Guffey

Quote:
Which is better in a vibratory cleaner?
Poconolg, If they had one bag I would not care, if they had both bags I would think that would be too many choices. I am not the one that worries about something getting stuck in the flash hole. I check the flash holes.

F. Guffey
Old May 20, 2018, 10:02 AM   #3
robhic

Someone gave me a bag of medium-sized (no numerical sizing) corn cob pieces. I added some to my regular "Frankford Arsenal" bottled stuff. The medium particles were larger and I had more lodged in the primer hole (I decap before tumbling) and found it to be more of a PITA to use. I dumped it through a strainer to get as much out as possible and never looked back.

IMO, smaller seems better so I'd ascertain which of your 2 choices is the finer grain. But that's me....
Old May 20, 2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Poconolg

I don't know which is finer.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:28 AM   #5
mikld

14-20 Blast Media works quite well for me (for the last 20+ years)...
Old May 20, 2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

20-40 is finer. The numbers refer to how many wires there are per inch in the sieve screen used to grade them. That said, I believe 14-20 is the defacto standard size for case cleaning. Because the sieve wires have some thickness, the holes the cob grains fall through are a little smaller than the sieve screen number would suggest.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 20, 2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Irish Lad

I got the 20-40 from Zoro. Works great, never any in the flash holes. 40 lbs will last me many years.
Old May 21, 2018, 05:12 AM   #8
Big Wes

14-20 here got a 40 or 50#bag from Grainger's,(cheap!) probably enough to last me the rest of my life.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:51 AM   #9
hdwhit

Quote:
Poconolg wrote:
One is called 20-40 grit the other is 14-20. Which is better in a vibratory cleaner?
What are your criteria for "better"?

The 20-40 grit is small enough to pass through the flash hole. With the 14-20 you may occasionally get a piece of media lodged in the flash hole. This is not a big deal (the explosion of the primer compound will knock it loose without causing a misfire), but people who don't care for it are forced to inspect their brass after tumbling and knock it out with a toothpick.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:29 AM   #10
RC20

I agree the cartridge will fire, I disagree it will fire cleanly enough for target work.

That is new, I have to check what I have. Probably the larger. I use it long enough it no longer sticks in the primer holes and pockets (grin)

That said, its just routine that I sit at the prep station, do a quick clean of the primer pocket with the rotating brush (not a fanatic but I don't agree dirty pocket primer seat right either).

I have a hand trimmer for 223, the pin on it is just right size to poke through a primer hole. Each one gets that and into the ready to go container.

It adds almost nothing time wise to the process and works (until I get those grain sized ground down)
Old May 21, 2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

If you size after cleaning using a die with a decapper, that ensures nothing stays in the flash hole. However, it is possible for a grain of cob stuck on the inside to divert a loose decapping pin to the side so that it breaks. Don't ask how I know.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 22, 2018, 12:18 PM   #12
RC20

My take was that it took more lube to get shiny brass to size easy vs fired.

Ergo, that is part of why I went the way I did.

It also seems to work better with my production flow, but that is just me.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:42 PM   #13
F. Guffey

there are not many grinders I do not have, that would include coffee, meal, bone, nutmeg and ice.

One of the coffee grinders has a patent date of 1874; it is a Fairbanks & Morse. The wheels are close to 2 foot in diameter, when I turn if forward it does percolator grind; when turned in the opposite directions it does drip electric type grind.

And now I need to know what type of ears to use, field corn or sweet corn, white and or brown cobs. One of my coffee grinders is a double electrical type. And then there are the bench mounted models with the handle.

And I have wondered about sorghum, milo and maze. I have family in South Texas that will give me all of the above if I come and get it.

F. Guffey
Old May 23, 2018, 05:25 PM   #14
PA-Joe

Get the fine one.