The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 2, 2007, 05:24 AM   #1
cgbills

A CCW question.

Where do you all carry on your person? I carry in the small of my back with light clothes on. Also what holster do you use when you carry? Do you use different holsters for different places you carry?
Old January 2, 2007, 07:13 AM   #2
stevekolt

IMHO, small of the back carry is pretty risky. Should you ever fall backward onto your gun, you run the risk of a serious back/spinal cord injury. With a good holster, you can generally conceal at the 3:30-4 o'clock position and not risk such a devestating injury. Again, just IMHO.
Old January 2, 2007, 02:01 PM   #3
NCHornet

Everybody has their own position that works for them and no one position, or holster or gun is right for everyone.
What works for me is a Glock 23, in a Bianchi Carry Loc holster worn at 3:15, strong side. I just bought this holster about a month or so ago and I love it. I was worried about a full retention holster might slow draw speed so I played with the display for 30 min. The release lever is placed in such away that it is totally natural to hit it with my normal draw. I was able to practice live fire drills with it last week and it is awesome. I highly suggest it to anyone.
I also carry a Model 60 J frame in 38 special, it can be placed in a pocket in certain jeans, or a bellyband holster. I will be buying a new BUG at the gun show in Feb. it will be a Sig P232, and will be carried in a pocket holster for a BUG and for deeper concealment, along with my wifes purse. I am also looking at the Pager pal and smart carry holster, both of these look promising but it appears my pants will have to be a little looser to use them.
I have tried SOB, and IWB holsters and they are not for me. They are not comfortable at all. A crossdraw rig is a good choice if you drive a lot. Again it depends on your build and lifestyle.
Old January 2, 2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Depends

Depends on the season.
Winter time, I like shoulder holsters, ether a full rig with mags for my Kimber Royal or one of the smaller half rigs for a Smith 60 or Charter Bulldog.
Summer I almost always go with my Glock 26 in the pants at 4 o’clock, in ten minutes you hardly know it there.
Old January 2, 2007, 07:58 PM   #5
cgbills

With a tight t-shirt on, isnt it easy to see the pistol if you carry on the hip or at 4 o'clock? I wear tighter t-shirts and they are not baggy at all. I think if i carried on the hip or at 4 it would show. Thoughts?
Old January 2, 2007, 08:30 PM   #6
wayneinFL

I usually pocket carry a j-frame S&W, but if I feel like I should be carrying I carry a glock or beretta on the right hip in an IWB holoster, under an untucked shirt.
Old January 2, 2007, 08:40 PM   #7
M1911

Here's something to read and ponder when considering SOB carry: http://www.thegunzone.com/sob_is_bad.html

Personally, I carry strong side hip or pocket. YMMV.
Old January 2, 2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Haterade

Quote:
With a tight t-shirt on, isnt it easy to see the pistol if you carry on the hip or at 4 o'clock? I wear tighter t-shirts and they are not baggy at all. I think if i carried on the hip or at 4 it would show. Thoughts?
I think you answered your own question. You'll probably have to wear bigger shirts or carry a smaller gun if you want to carry there. I carry only OWB and one unfortunate side effect is that I have to adjust my wardrobe accordingly. Cold weather is easy, summer not so much.

I carry a bunch of different pistols depending on different things. Strong side OWB for me. Long, baggy shirts. I won't win a fashion show, but it's comfortable and easy to get at.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:08 PM   #9
tshadow6

ccw

I carry in my front right pocket, or in a strong side Fobus holster with baggy shirt.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:27 PM   #10
paknheat

Appendix carry works well for me.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:40 PM   #11
Tokamak

Front pants pocket or winter jacket pocket.

My .380 Kel-Tec P3AT fits nicely in a wallet holster which then fits in my right front pants pocket.

In the winter, my Ruger SP101 .357 in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster fits nicely in my right front pocket of my jacket.

I often walk with my hand on one of my guns if I do not like the looks of a situation. The right front pockets are very handy for this and no one knows what I am up to.