The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1
aaronbagby

New to Night Sights

I have an XD45 compact, and I'm looking to finally get night sights for it. Anyone have any good recommendations that are somewhat moderately priced?
Old November 4, 2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Theohazard

I like the TruGlo tritium/fiber optic sights, or the Trijicon HD tritium sights with the bright orange front sight. I think both run around the $100 range.

Though you may run into problems getting them installed on your gun. The XD's factory sights are often installed with over 10,000 lbs. of pressure. Getting them out without damaging the slide can be almost impossible. Many gunsmiths won't touch XD sights for that reason. I've heard of some gunsmiths who have designed hydraulic sight pushers for XDs, but you might have to send your gun in to Springfield (I think they won't let you send just the slide; they're probably going to want to test-fire it after installing the new sights).
Old November 4, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Creeper

What is moderately priced? Night sights will run a low of around $80 to as much as $150, depending on brand, style and who you get them from.
Meprolight, Trijicon, XS, Heinie, TruDot... lots of choices, so do a bit of homework before you drop the coin.
If this is to be a carry gun and you already have a holster, make sure that what ever you get is low profile enough to fit your exisiting sight channel... or you may end up needing a new holster.

C
Old November 4, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
kemassey

I use the Trijicon SG01 for my Springfield XDs. I really like the way they work. Not the cheapest but when your life could depend on them....
Old November 6, 2012, 09:05 AM   #5
rodfac

Trijicon's have a good reputation...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Vireye

I use the orange Trijicon HDs on my Glock 30. Love them, very bright and clearly visible in the dark. I'm planning to get the same sights for my Sig later this year.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Water-Man

AmeriGlo.net
Old November 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #8
12GaugeShuggoth

I've got XS 24/7 Big Dot on my XD40sc, love the big sight up front that's so easy to see. Nice and bright at night too. Think I paid $100 or something like that several years ago. My gunsmith did say the factory sights were a beast to get off.........

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 12, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
ShootingNut

After contacting Trijicon, they told me that they use and reccomend the
following people for installation.
http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/
SN
Old November 14, 2012, 02:46 PM   #10
mumbo719

The older I get the more I like Mepro over Trijicon.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:58 PM   #11
RadioFlyer8

I went with Mepro for my CZ. A little cheaper than Triji and great reviews on them.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Mystro

Me too. I have them all on many pistols and it looks like the Mepro lights are the brightest out of all my sights. Factory Sig Sauer night sights are right up there as well. This doesnt mean the others are not effective but over the years as they start to fade, the Mepro will have a longer service life starting out brighter.

Quote:
The older I get the more I like Mepro over Trijicon.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Edward429451

I like the Meps. Funny story. I dropped off my 1911 to get Meps on it and it seems that they were out of Meps so just went ahead and decided to install red & yellow Tru-Glos on it. I went to pick it up and immediately noticed they were not Meps. I inquired about the off brand when I had requested Meps and he casually says they were out of Meps so he went with the Tru-glos...I hate to be a nit-picker but this was big! I wanted green and got red & yellow?

I asked if I could step in their bathroom to look at them in the dark, they said yes. I couldn't see them at arms length! I had to pull it in to a Murray Gardner position (basically a weaver pulled way in closer) to be able to see the glow. I told them about this and he laughed and said no way! I made him go see and then he agreed they were no good. They did get mad at having to change them again (staked on), but I don't care. They had my phone number and never even gave me a call. I got my Meps eventually and am a happy camper now.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:45 PM   #14
thedudeabides

Half life of tritium doesn't change with the brand of night sights... 12.3 years.

With that said, I like Trijicon and factory Sig for brightness.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:03 PM   #15
Cowboy_mo

Bought Mepro night sights

I bought Mepro from Optics Planet about a year ago and installed them on my Kimber. Had a lot of help from a gunsmith friend with the installation.

I absolutely love them!!!!! The glow in low light makes them very easy for a guy with "short arm eyes" to find AND the bright makes them very easy to locate in sunlight
Old November 14, 2012, 09:08 PM   #16
Edward429451

Then they must've tried to pawn off their old ones on me! No takers today, thanks.