The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 20, 2010, 02:24 PM   #1
OhioRedHawksFan

2nd Amendment March Monday the 19th

Just wonder did any TFLers went to the march and what was the turn out?
I was planning on a mini vacation out there while attending the event supporting our constitution right - but my boss ended up changing his mind last week and told me that he needed me to work...
Old April 20, 2010, 03:10 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

hardly anyone was there. maybe 5,000. Luckily there was a little diversity in the crowd.
Something that could have been great for gun rights pretty much flopped because about 1% of 1% of gun owners could bother with showing up.
Even out of "Gun enthusiast" on this forum almost no one went.

At least there were no incidences.
Old April 20, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
sonick808

one major problem i know of: work day!
Old April 20, 2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Buzzcook

It would have been more effective if they didn't include the usual taxes bad, health care reform evil, and Obama communist stuff.

Kind of make gun rights supporters look like an arm of the republican party.
Old April 20, 2010, 10:10 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
one major problem i know of: work day
I think this more describes the willingness of gun owners to get involved than that gun owners work. Most "Tea Party" people work and the workday tea party meetings in Columbus, and other Ohio cities, regularly draw more people than this did.
Look at how few gun owners write their representatives and that can be done at anytime on any day.

Send the NRA your money and forget it is the motto of most gun owners.

Which leads into the fact that the NRA did not promote this well at all, although they were there with a booth, did some interviews and such. If you weren't online big time in things such as this forum you could very easily miss updates on the event. i heard several in attendance complain about not even knowing about it until a few weeks before when national news picked it up. If the NRA is going to hog all the money and promote themselves as a must join or you aren't really pro 2A requirement, they need to promote events like this unless they are staying away totally for some reason.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; April 20, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old April 20, 2010, 10:19 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Kind of make gun rights supporters look like an arm of the republican party.
I have only spent a little time on their website, but I saw very little off message info there. The speakers I heard did a pretty good job of staying on message. I cut out about 1 to grab some food and check out the WWII memorial and did not return until 3, so maybe some there were off topic. No one from the host organization can control the signs in the crowd or what attendees say to cameras.

There were some comments about other amendments, but no long rants about health care or any such thing I can remember.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; April 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:00 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Send the NRA your money and forget it is the motto of most gun owners.
Hey, if we could just get a portion of gun owners to contribute that much, we'd be in better shape.

I was unable to attend, but contributed to a pool to send an acquaintance. He was a disappointed in turnout, but seemed to think that there wasn't much of an audience due to the fact that it was a Monday.

Though it's symbolically important, I wonder how effective a rally in DC really is. I'd rather see a groundswell of such events on the state level, where one can build solidarity with friends and neighbors, and politicians can see their own constituents, rather than looking out the office window at the out-of-towners.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:56 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

The rally in Columbus Ohio had about 300 people. That is also a total flop IMO. I have seen larger anti-scientology protests around the statehouse.