The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 7, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
JayCody

Modern Made Mosin Nagant Bent Bolt

With my Company I have been working on a U.S. Made Modern Mosin Nagant Bolt body with a bent handle for quite some time and I am wondering if anyone would Purchase it if I were to Invest in the Tooling to manufacture it.
The bolt assembly is made of 4140 Steel and features a bent handle. One of the biggest upsides of this bolt would be that it is made of a solid piece of steel, unlike the other bent bolts on the market.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Are you talking a true "bent" bolt, like on the Mauser M48s, or are you talking about a bolt with a handle that comes off the bolt body pointing down, like most modern rifles? A true bent bolt I would be interested in (depending on price, and whether or not it would need professional installation), but a "turned down" bolt that requires notching the stock I would not be interested in.
Old September 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
JayCody

The bolt would Not be Seated into the stock. All you would need to do is assemble the bolt with My bolt body, check headspace and you're good to go
Old September 7, 2013, 07:13 PM   #4
10-96

Well why not? I'd go for one if the price were right. I usually don't go for all the sporterizing of rifles and such. I've seen a place were I can send my bolt body in and they will alter, bend, or do whatever it is that they do- but in the end- I would still have to come up with another body to put my rifle back to original.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
All you would need to do is assemble the bolt with My bolt body, check headspace and your good to go
Headspace of a Mosin-Nagant is determined solely by the bolt head- not the bolt body.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
JayCody

True but to be 100% safe I Recommend checking the headspace.

Last edited by JayCody; September 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:36 AM   #7
MEATSAW

Yes !
Old September 8, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Is there enough of an interest in a cottage industry market to make it feasible? Are there a lot of M-N replacement parts/stocks/scope mounts like there is for the Ruger 10/22?
Old September 8, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
JayCody

There are a number of companies that make Mosin Nagant Stocks, Upgraded Triggers, and scope mounts so I do think there is a market considering there are millions of mosin nagants out there. I really want to know how many of y'all would be interested in purchasing one and what you think a fair price is.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody
I really want to know how many of y'all would be interested in purchasing one and what you think a fair price is.
You didn't ask that. This was the first mention on your part of price. I've been expecting you to tell us what your target is -- I'm not the only one who has expressed interest "if the price is right."

Seriously, it's up to you to price it. Only you know what it's going to cost to produce it, and what you want or need your mark-up to be. If several of us were to say we'd pay $100, and you could produce it for $20 each ... then you'd charge $100 and make a 400 percent profit on each one. That's legal, but IMHO hardly ethical.

Speaking for my self, I also would not buy one without seeing photos of one, installed in a rifle. I'm a designer by profession, and how things look matters to me ... a lot.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:00 PM   #11
JayCody

I am working on one and I should have a picture very soon.
The production is time consuming because the bolt needs to be hand filed, polished, and test fired with 10 rounds. I will Be sending 5 bolts to be torture tested and then they will be up for sale
Old September 11, 2013, 09:40 PM   #12
seanc

I think a reasonable market price would be guessed from the going price of the currently offered bent bolts. You might be able to charge a small premium given it's US made and hopefully customers will have more faith in your manufacturing process.

An example of poorly gauged marketing: premium triggers for SKS rifles (http://www.rifletech.net/cgi-bin/sho...timatesks.html). Going for $265, I can't see them selling that many. Compare that to another US made product is an $89 trigger group (http://www.murraysguns.com/922r.htm) that competes price-wise with complete import trigger groups (http://www.kbtacticalstar.com/index....roducts_id=131).

I know you have to make money. I don't care if you make a 400+% profit, as long as it's available at a competitive price and you're able to stay in business. That said, I might be interested in one in the $65 range, at most, given the current market. And that includes shipping.
Old September 12, 2013, 01:17 PM   #13
JayCody

I'm trying to find out the cheapest way to manufacture it without compromising the quality of the product, So it will be months before its on the market. How do y'all think the bolt should be bent? I was thinking of bending it like the mosin sniper bolt, any ideas?
Old September 12, 2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody
How do y'all think the bolt should be bent? I was thinking of bending it like the mosin sniper bolt, any ideas?
Yugo/Mauser M48.

Old September 12, 2013, 06:57 PM   #15
SC4006

Depending on what the end product looks like and the price, yeah i'd definitely consider buying one.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old September 13, 2013, 01:36 AM   #16
Josh Smith

Hello,

I'd like one that's bent upward at 15 to 30 degrees someplace. I'm a lefty and it would help in working the bolt from the shoulder.

Regards,

Josh
Old September 13, 2013, 11:22 AM   #17
JayCody

I really like the look and feel of the Mauser Bolt so I think i will Go with that bend, good suggestion.

Josh Smith,
Once the Bolts are in Production I can Have one special bent for you.

thanks For the Help Everyone
Old September 23, 2013, 05:44 PM   #18
tobnpr

Quote:
Headspace of a Mosin-Nagant is determined solely by the bolt head- not the bolt body.
^^ This ^^

Bolt body is irrelevant. If headspace is within specs before changing to your proposed bolt body, it can't change after.

I've always figured they can't be manufactured cheaply enough to compete with the aftermarket modded bodies that myself and others offer.

If you can do it and hit the price point, I think you'll have a winner. My suggestion is to make them with 5/16" 24T to fit a wide variety of aftermarket knobs.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 23, 2013, 10:28 PM   #19
JayCody

I have been thinking about it for a few days now and while I would like it to be made in the USA the price would be way to High. the bolt body will be around $50 to $70 dollars and the bolt is machined from a surplus bolt body. The handle is made of 4140 steel and the entire bolt body is polished. I will have pictures up any day now and will be taking orders soon.

Tags
bolt , mosin , nagant , rifle , scope