The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Aldadentist

Springfield trapdoor load information

I just purchased a 1884 model Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70 Govt. This rifle was built in 1892 and is in very nice condition. The problem is that I don't know whether to load for it with blackpowder or smokeless, any unique characteristics involved or where to begin. I can buy Black Hills Cowboy loads I think, but I reload for everything else so I want to this also. Any advice is appreciated.
Old March 22, 2010, 01:49 AM   #2
salvadore

I own a cut down rifle..looks like the carbine..I shoot a case full of pyrodex and a 465gr cast bullet with a fiber disc in between. I think it is a good idea to compress the charge a bit. When I could see, I could shoot into 2" with this combo. Don't remember if it was 3 or 5 shots, I think 5. Be sure to check groove diameter, mine was .462.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Ralph Allen

Springfield trapdoor loads are listed in all reloading data books. These are the lowest velocity/pressure rounds. Comercial loaded ammo OK for a Springfield says "45-70 Govt" on the box. Leverevolution ammo IS NOT for Springfields. I would think Cowboy loads would be OK, but would doubl check before firing. If yours is the carbine, be warned, them old soldiers were tough. Not pleasant to shoot even with low vel/press loads. If it's the heavier model rifle, then it might be OK. My Marlin 1895CB,on the other hand is a pleasure to shoot the light loads. Good shooting.
Ralph
Old March 23, 2010, 12:06 AM   #4
Aldadentist

Thaanks for the info Ralph. If I load smokeless powder there is a lot of extra space in the cartridge. Should I use a filler to keep the powder in contact with the primer. If so, then what do you use? With black powder it fills these old cartidges but I know that isn't so with modern propellants.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:32 AM   #5
riverwalker76

Pyrodex makes a 'Select' powder that works good on 45/70 BP loads. I've used a paper patch in between the powder and bullet, and it works fine. The Pyrodex Select is a lot cleaner than your regular FG Pyrodex. I've never used a filler, but have heard of some guys using dried out sawdust. It compresses easily, and doesn't hang around.
Old March 23, 2010, 03:22 AM   #6
salvadore

River, I bought a can of Select and used it in 45/70s and .45 Colt rifles and couldn't tell any difference.
Old March 23, 2010, 04:25 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Trail Boss is apparently popular for low velocity trapdoor loads. Lots of bulk and very, very clean burning. You'll find these among the trapdoor loads on Hodgdon's site. I've attached them in PDF format.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hodgdon Powders 45-70 Trapsoor.pdf (87.9 KB, 159 views)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 23, 2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old March 23, 2010, 06:26 AM   #8
darkgael

trapdoor

Trail Boss is a good one.
Personally, I load BP for my TD carbine. I use the old cavalry load of 55 grains BP (FFg) and a 405 grain cast LFN bullet. Filler is needed. I use a grease cookie of two 0.030" fiber wads with about 1/8 of beeswax between them. The remainder of the space is filled with PuffLon to the case mouth and then the bullet is seated, compressing that.
It's a nice shooting load.
Pete
Old March 23, 2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Jim Watson

The .45-70 book covers loading .45-70 Government with both black and smokeless powders. The Government round and the Springfield rifle are not exactly like the Winchester and Sharps of that designation and the authors go into a lot of history and technique to get the best out of the Springfield.

http://www.the45-70book.com/The-Book...pence-Pat-Wolf
Old March 23, 2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Aldadentist

Thanks Jim-- I ordered the book today.