The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2010, 02:58 AM   #1
chris in va

Help...9mm reloads

This is an ongoing problem with my 9mm reloads. First it was accuracy/keyholing, now it's with chambering.

My bore slugs out to 355-356. My 356 boolits weren't working so I sold the mold and on the advice of many others, bought the Lee 358-125-FN. Unfortunatly they won't chamber until I seat this thing to 1.01"!

It measures 358 on the boolit shoulder. If I go blow another $25 for a sizing die, it'll defeat the purpose of .003" that I need. So now what?
Old March 24, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

www.pennbullets.com (I bethinkin 125g LRN)

1) Determine what weight and style bullet works in your gun; buy them.

2) Buy a mould that makes the successful bullet.
Old March 24, 2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Don P

Keyholing could have possibly been seating the bullet a little too deep. Thats what they have told me with regards to MY reloads and keyholing.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 24, 2010, 02:19 PM   #4
doctruptwn

I had the same problem this weekend with 125 gr Missouri bullet company small ball. The bullits are truely small ball verus the pointier bullet you typiclly see on a 9mm. It required going to minimum length of 1.095 but cycle very well in my gun.
Old March 24, 2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Nate1778

Chris I had the same problem with that bullet in my Glock. I finally got it top chamber and shoot well but could never get leading under control. I switched over to the TL 125 TC mold and it works well with no leading. It does have to be 1.04 in front of Unique, I would have to look at how much but it is a reduced charge and the round feels good and is accurate. I have several molds for that caliber if you want to try some bullets. I have the 125rn, the 125tc, and the little 105rn. If I can help out let me know. Your bullet works very well in a .38/.357 and its all I use in my GP100. Accurate and punches clean holes.

By the way the only mold I have that will chamber at the 1.15 is the 125rn.
Old March 24, 2010, 04:08 PM   #6
chris in va

That's the problem though, my guns wouldn't shoot the 124gr TC TL boolit worth a darn. They drop at .356 and were too small.

Quote:
1) Determine what weight and style bullet works in your gun; buy them.
The only bullet that has worked beautifully is the FMJ I paid outrageous money for (compared to casting my own).

And that's my other question...what is it about the very hard FMJ that makes it shoot so well?
Old March 24, 2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Nate1778

Whats the gun? I am assuming it has standard rifling. You want to try the RN I have?
Old March 24, 2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Chris,

A couple of points: Did you slug your bore with pure lead (cast bullet alloy will give you an oversize result) and measure the slug and the Lee bullet with an OD thimble micrometer that resolves ten thousandths? Most calipers are only repeatable to within a thousandth and I've seen some off as much as two thousandths. They are simply not adequate for bore and bullet diameter determinations. If you blow $14 + S&H on the one in the link, it will be a tool you can use with additional calibers, at least. (Don't forget to wipe its anvils off and check the vernier scale's zero reading to subtract from your final reading before making each measurement.)

Second, the tests I've run show bullets about 0.0015" to 0.002" over groove diameter are most accurate, but the bigger sizes seem to matter most to revolvers and lever rifles. For a self loader, 0.001" over groove should be workable, especially if you are having problems with chamber fit.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 24, 2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Jim243

I am way over my head on this one, but isn't a .358 a 357 mag bullet????

Jim
Old March 24, 2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Nate1778

Jim yes it is, but some 9mm'ers with a bore of .356-357 use a .358 bullet better than the typical 9mm bullet, were talking lead of coarse.
Old March 25, 2010, 04:38 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

My personal solution to a 'big-barreled' 9x19 was to replace the barrel.