The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2014, 06:45 PM   #101
guncheese

new colors today

got them in the mail today
shake and bake!!

Old June 10, 2014, 06:48 PM   #102
Beagle333

Oh yeah! You musta got the sampler pack! NICE!!!!
Them babies are smoooooth.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 12, 2014, 10:44 PM   #103
skizzums

this is my saturday project, i shot some aloxed 230-309 through the new 300blk yesterday and leaded it up something terrible, probably spent a good two hours chipping lead off everything today, never again
Old June 13, 2014, 04:16 AM   #104
Beagle333

Wanna learn to PC?

Delmar O'Donnell: "C'mon in boys, the water is fine."
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 13, 2014, 06:44 AM   #105
skizzums

i see you doing your own copper plating in the future
Old June 13, 2014, 08:32 AM   #106
Beagle333

Quote:
i see you doing your own copper plating in the future
Hmmmmm..... How many colors does copper come in?
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 14, 2014, 05:43 PM   #107
skizzums

alright got all the "stuff", was pleased to see that HF pc was only 5$, was displeased that the airsoft BB's are 3x that much(same cost as a new toaster oven). guess my boy is getting an airsoft next week.

now I just need to get off the couch and cast some 230's. hope this works.
Old June 14, 2014, 07:51 PM   #108
skizzums

They are cooking right this minute, and all my rifle bullets fell over onto their side.

Not a good start

update: they are actually not too bad, they coating is visually uneven, but feels pretty smooth
they are totally encapsulated, which is the goal right? i dont care too much about the appearance, i just cant run alox in the 300BLK
i think i had too many BBs for one, and i cant help but think the humidity outside was working againt me as well, but i am satisfied nonetheless

Last edited by skizzums; June 14, 2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old June 14, 2014, 10:15 PM   #109
Beagle333

You might try one of the ideas shown here to keep em standing and it'll improve the coverage if you can.
clicky for idea link
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 14, 2014, 10:20 PM   #110
skizzums

i tried the washers, thats what they were initially stood up on, i think i will just use nuts and stand the bullet nose up, i dont care if the nose gets a ring around it, those 230gr have a beveled base that makes real hard to keep stable
Old June 14, 2014, 10:31 PM   #111
Beagle333

Those tall skinny ones can be a pain. I don't do any like that, but I see guys working on the problem quite often. I don't know if anybody has figured that out easily. There are racks and pins and nails and all sorts of tricks for those that won't stand on their own. Maybe those need regular lube, since it's such a pain to stand them up. I don't know, since I don't shoot 300blk.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 14, 2014, 11:07 PM   #112
skizzums

Being on its side really doesn't seem like it would effect the function of the coating. If i cant easily get them to stand, i just wont bother
Old June 15, 2014, 12:32 AM   #113
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Those tall skinny ones can be a pain. I don't do any like that, but I see guys working on the problem quite often. I don't know if anybody has figured that out easily. There are racks and pins and nails and all sorts of tricks for those that won't stand on their own. Maybe those need regular lube, since it's such a pain to stand them up. I don't know, since I don't shoot 300blk.
The guys that use Hi-Tek say they don't have a problem. - Bake on a screen, and they aren't really supposed to adhere.

I have no actual experience yet, but I do have some 'Black Cherry' waiting for a convection toaster oven and a fresh batch of bullets...
Old June 15, 2014, 07:30 AM   #114
Beagle333

I got a convection toaster yesterday. (thanks Craigslist!) and I'm working on wiring up my PID to it now. And I have a bottle of Brick Red Hi-Tek that I'm going to try out as soon as I get the oven ready, and get this 1/4" hardware cloth fashioned into some racks.

And if some are wondering why I am trying out Hi-Tek when PC is working so well for me... it's so I won't have to stand the bullets up after coating.
With Hi-Tek, after the bullets are shaken in the coating and spread to dry, you just toss them into a wire basket like a pan full of chestnuts roasting and bake away. (requires two coats though)

(or that's what I have read.... I have not tried this for myself, .... so don't say I recommend this stuff yet.)

I don't think it'll replace PC, but it's just another way to get em down the barrel cleanly and I like to have options.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 15, 2014, 07:35 AM   #115
Beagle333

Skizzums, those don't look too bad from the photos. And if they shoot well, that's perfect! I made some really ugly bullets back when I was wet tumbling, but they shot great... exactly like the pretty ones that were sprayed. So I don't think 100% perfection in the coating is necessary if you aren't going for that really long shot. And you will develop better and smoother techniques as you go. That's what, the second batch? Pretty good, I say!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:38 PM   #116
Beagle333

I got my $30 convection oven now. It has two racks, 12x15", and all it needs is two flat pieces of aluminum (or stop signs) and it's ready to bake a bunch of coatings at once!

These pics were before I cleaned it up this afternoon, and now it's even better looking. I am going to have a hard time committing this one to plastic fumes! This one looks better than the oven I'm using!!! (except mine has 4 burners on top)
I need one that is bent, cracked, rusted and has a knob missing, to use as a backyard boolit cooker!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 17, 2014, 12:12 AM   #117
A pause for the COZ

I had made up a mesh basket for my 223 stuff, Works well enough. I dont even notice any undue lines or anything else. Its galvanized and maybe that helps keep the PCing off of it while in the oven.
Dont know for sure, but sounds good any way.

Dont see why that wont work for any others. I may even try just dumping the bullets and powder mix into the mesh and let the BB's and powder fall through just leaving the bullets. I may have to buy some mesh that is slightly bigger to allow the BB's to drop through and leave my bullets. Worth a try though.
Would save some picking with the tweezers.

Old June 17, 2014, 04:35 AM   #118
Beagle333

I'm glad the mesh is working. That's encouraging. Dumping through the mesh sounds like it might leave a ridge of powder along each line of screen though and I don't know if you can tap it hard enough to get the powder to fall off the wire without de-coating the bullets significantly. There's gotta be a better way than standing the skinny rifle bullets up though. I hope this might be it!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 17, 2014, 10:40 AM   #119
skizzums

that was the first attemt, i tried my second last night, took out half the BBs and had much better results this time

Old June 17, 2014, 12:05 PM   #120
Beagle333

Skizzums

Those do look good. Are you baking on foil, parchment, or the hardware cloth?
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 17, 2014, 12:31 PM   #121
skizzums

just the stick-free foil on their side

hope these work out, dont wanna have to buy bullets for this thing

the pretty ones up front are the new ones, the uglies in the back are the first try
Old June 18, 2014, 11:48 AM   #122
serf 'rett

I’ve been following this thread with some interest. I don’t cast (yet) but wonder if the powder coating would be a way to use lead bullets in polygonal barrels. I've got a 40S&W with a poly barrel and might like to use lead bullets in it.

Anybody using powder coated bullets in a polygonal barrel?

Is there any leading or buildup?
Old June 18, 2014, 12:15 PM   #123
Beagle333

I don't shoot any polygonal barrels... but here's couple of threads on it. And there are more under the "Coatings and Alternatives" heading.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=polygonal

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=glock
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:17 PM   #124
skizzums

beagle, beagle, beagle, i could KISS you right now, seriously

went out and put 99rounds through the 300 today, NO lead, not even a speck, i wish i had took pics of the ALOX shoot, it was liquified everywhere

also, i am a little angry at the internet today, i only had lil gun and h110 and the 230gr cast bullets, i swear i read a hundred posts on every AR15 and 300BLK forum with people stomping their feet in disgust at ppl askking about h110 in subsonicBLK loads; YOU CANNOT USE H110 IN SUBSONIC 300BLK AR LOADS!!!!! IT WILL NOT CYCLE THE BOLT!!!! ONLY BOLT ACTION!!!i saw it over and over and over

were all these people just regurgitating what the last guy was saying?? did no-one acually try it?? cause it not only worked, it worked perfectly and out of a 8in barrel and even locked the bolt back on the empty mag, whatever, sorry to rant, so annoying sometimes(the internet), maybe it was just HF miracle coating that made it work

anyways, back to the powder coat, i was shooting as fast as my bony little fingers could pull the trigger to test the gun, i am astonished of the difference between last time, thank you for all the guys before me that did all that redneck engineering for me

hard to tell in the pics, but no lead, shooting 230gr 50/50 alloy with 2-3%tin, H-110 @ 9,6gr

Old June 18, 2014, 06:45 PM   #125
Beagle333

Woohoo! I'm glad for you! And I'm glad you're in GA! ha ha.

I don't know anything about 300blk shooting, but I do know that many folks are happy with PC and clean shooting bullets, and they are learning the little fine adjustments that let the PC protect the barrel and also provide the level of accuracy they want out of it.
It's easy and it's cheap and IMHO it beats the heck outta pan lube and tumbling Alox.
Have a Colt and a smile.