The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 19, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Pud

Need Belt for holster advice...

Looking for some advice about good quality, reasonably priced belts for carry.
Now carrying a 1911, and have a good holster-but my current belts could be better...
Any and all comments appreciated!!
Pud
Ruger P97 / Ruger SR1911 CMD / Ruger SR9c / S&M M&P 15 Sport/Ruger Mk 3 22/45./ S&W PC Shield
Old February 19, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Shawn Thompson

Looper Law Enforcement. They make an 1.5" leather holster belt that is reinforced with an inner layer of kydex. Not only do they turn out some top shelf products, Bart and Lisa Looper are guinely good people to do business with. Highly recommended.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
kutz

Check out the NRA Store
Old February 19, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I use an Aker B21: http://www.akerleather.com/off-duty-...me=Dress+Belts

I don't have a belt from The Beltman, but he comes highly recommended, as well.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

You are carrying a heavy gun and need a good belt. Trust me, a cheap belt isn't going to hold up nearly as well as a well made one. You can buy several cheap belts or just buy one good belt and save money in the long run.

The Beltman makes great belts and are well worth the money. If you can afford it and need to save up a bit, I'd suggest you go that route.

www.thebeltman.net

All you need is double layer belt. Mine is horsehide and even after 4 years of use, it is still as stiff as the day it was new.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:25 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Clothes make the man....

Many gun writers & tactics instructors advise using a system for a concealed firearm; belt, holster, spare mags, light-OC spray holder etc. the items should fit snug & not slide all around.
Most good belts should run about 1.5" wide. A few clever designs like Mitch Rosen or KL Null narrow the dress belt to 1.25" in front to aid concealment.
Top brands for well made gun leather or synthetic belts include; www.usgalco.com www.thebeltman.net www.blackhawk.cim www.galls.com www.policehq.com www.5.11tactical.com www.miltsparks.com www.mitchrosen.com www.donhume.com www.safariland.com www.kirkpatrickleather.com www.tedblockerholsters.com www.highnoonholsters.com . Leather type materials or lined belts are high quality. Greg Kramer; Kramer Leather sells horsehide & other exotics. Del Fatti does too.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

Check out Rick Garcia here. www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/contact.html

I got one of his belts about 9 months ago and love it. All are heavy double thickness leather. The feel like a sam brown duty belt for stiffness and holding up a pistol in a holster. Prices are reasonable and his quality is fantastic!!
Old February 19, 2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Captains1911

Sounds like you aren't using a gun belt at all, so in that case any gun belt will be a huge improvement. Without one the best holster in the world will not perform properly. I like Wilderness Instructors for nylon and Beltman for leather.

Last edited by Captains1911; February 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #9
JimDandy

Wilderness is good. If you're bigger one of their "gift" belts, I forget the name, may save you a few bucks. For leather there are a ton of good options, for a cheap but good choice, Gould and Goodrich can be found on Amazon.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
scottycoyote

i like the instructor style belts, i have an uncle mikes but wilderness and 511 are probably just as good or better
Old February 20, 2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Yung.gunr

I wanted a better belt than what I had, but didn't want to drop a lot of $$. I went with an Amish belt from Hanks Clothing. Got it 3-4 months ago and I've worn it almost every day, works great and something like half the price of other "Gunbelts".
Old February 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Captains1911

Quote:
I wanted a better belt than what I had, but didn't want to drop a lot of $$. I went with an Amish belt from Hanks Clothing. Got it 3-4 months ago and I've worn it almost every day, works great and something like half the price of other "Gunbelts".
I know nothing about those, but what separates gun belts for non is the stiffness. Gun belts are very stiff, much more than any regular or dress belt I've ever seen. It's not just a marketing scam as you seem to be implying, it really does make a huge difference. Furthermore, there are decent gunbelts out there for $25 to $30.

ETA: I just googled the Amish belt you referenced, and it actually is intended for CCW, so I would call it a "gun belt."
Old February 20, 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Thumper

Spats above is right. Aker makes a good belt for the money.

A Milt Sparks 1B will only run you a C-note and will last you several years, though.