The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 19, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Aksarben

3 dot sight

Having a hard time getting used to the 3 dot set up on my cz it seems pretty busy and its not easy finding the dot on the front its a compact so the sight line is on the short side to begin with. Don't want to spend the money for comp sights at this time, but I am thinking about just blacking out the dots on the rear sight has any body done that?
Old February 19, 2012, 10:09 PM   #2
AK103K

If you track the front dot and put it on the target as the gun comes up, the rear will rock right up into alignment. The trick is to pick up the front dot first, and put it on the target before the sights are aligned and then let the rear come up into algnment.

If you try to line the dots up first, and then put them on the target, its a lot harder and unnatural.

Another thing that you may also want to consider, POI with most three dot sights is where the front dot sits, and not the top of the blade. many seem to find they "shoot low" for that reason.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:59 AM   #3
rep1954

I have changed all the three dot sights I've ever had they just dont work well for me either. I like having the front dot as long as it is large enough to see clearly. Just put some black tape on the rear sights and see if you like it or not. If you like it get out the black marker and go to it. I do like the XS Sights "Big Dot Express Sights". Your front sight is your most important of the two. For years I shot a Sig 226 in compitetion and had the white markings on the rear sight blacked out with a black marker.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
jad0110

Quote:
If you track the front dot and put it on the target as the gun comes up, the rear will rock right up into alignment. The trick is to pick up the front dot first, and put it on the target before the sights are aligned and then let the rear come up into algnment.
This does help, and it may work for the OP so it is worth a try. This technique does help me, but I still don't have an easy time with the 3-dot arrangement. I can make it work, but my favorite sights are still a black blade, and an all black rear. Simple, clean and nothing distracting (for me).

The black electrical tape suggestions is a good idea, and easy to undo if it makes things worse. Start with just the rear and try it. If you like it, try blacking out the front. Stick with that for a while and if you find you like that setup, then you can look into painting the sights.
Old February 20, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Aksarben

3 Dot sights

Thanks for the suggestions like the idea of picking up the front dot first I don't think I am doing that trying to get the front and rear dots aligned first going to try the electrical tape also. thanks
Old February 20, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
kraigwy

I have the three dot (white) sights on my Beretta 92FS. I had the same problem.

I took a dab of florescent orange paint and covered the front sight dot. So now I have the two white dots on the rear and the orange dot on the front.

It made a world of difference and didn't cost anything since I already had the paint.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 20, 2012, 05:43 PM   #7
rep1954

Quote:
I have the three dot (white) sights on my Beretta 92FS. I had the same problem.

I took a dab of florescent orange paint and covered the front sight dot. So now I have the two white dots on the rear and the orange dot on the front.

It made a world of difference and didn't cost anything since I already had the paint.

I've noticed alot of after market sights starting to offer the different colors front and back for semi autos. Most makers have been offering an orange front and white outline rear for many years.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:44 PM   #8
loose_holster_dan

weird. cz 3-dot sights are some of my favorite sights on any of my weapons.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 24, 2012, 05:43 PM   #9
jad0110

Quote:
weird. cz 3-dot sights are some of my favorite sights on any of my weapons.
It's not that wierd when you think about it. Some people love driving Ford F150s, others love driving Mini Coopers. I've got a CZ-75, and I'll probably black out the white dots (by non permanent means) soon. My prefered sights are plain black revolver sights (with either a blade or partidge style front sight and a plain black rear), though I do fine with a white outline rear on a plain black front sight as well.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:56 PM   #10
TriumphGuy

I'll second kraigwy. Model paint or nail polish works well.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:30 PM   #11
KyJim

I have used a product called Sight Black to darken nickel/stainless sights when I didn't want to paint them (fairly collectible pieces). Good for limited use as it will come off with powder solvent. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504...1-2-oz-aerosol
Old February 24, 2012, 11:44 PM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

I never cared for three dot sights myself. After some experimenting I prefer a plain black rear sight with a wide notch and a gold bead in the front sight.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:48 PM   #13
KyJim

Quote:
After some experimenting I prefer a plain black rear sight with a wide notch and a gold bead in the front sight.
I have one of my handguns set up that way. I really like it.