The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2011, 01:44 PM   #1
bullethole1

Handgun/Revolver laws

Whats wrong with a regular citizen having their firearm in a belt holster? I think the government needs to pass a law that allows this because I dont see nothing wrong with it.
Old July 29, 2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Webleymkv

If you're talking about open, rather than concealed carry, then several states already allow that. My home state of Indiana allows open carry as no distinction is made between open and concealed carry (we simply have a "License to Carry a Handgun"). Many other states even allow open carry without a license, but require one for CC. Other states still ban OC all together. Like CC, it's really a state-by-state thing.
Old July 29, 2011, 08:33 PM   #3
armoredman

Arizona has had open carry legal since we became a state, 99 years ago. We are now a Constitutional Carry state, open or concealed, no permit required. And the last thing we need is a federal law saying it's OK...anything the government gives you permission for is no longer a right, but a privilege. We need more states to recognize the right to carry, which is coming as the Heller and MacDonald decisions are being applied.
Old July 29, 2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Jim March

I spent a week in Texas just over a year ago, hanging out with some politically active conservatives.

Their opinion was that open carry was wrong for Texas, because if somebody with the wrong skin color did so it would cause a major freakout.

I assure you, that was actually their opinion.

Sigh.
Old July 29, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

???

People with blue skin aren't supposed to carry WEEpons? Who'd a thunk it?
Old July 29, 2011, 11:34 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
Their opinion was that open carry was wrong for Texas, because if somebody with the wrong skin color did so it would cause a major freakout.
That is sad I always thought that we as a society would outgrow this crap in my lifetime, but the older I get the less faith I have. I guess the bottom line is ignorant people raise ignorant kids and perverted values go on. While there are valid issue on both sides of the open carry debate race is absolutely not one of them.

Also, wanted to add you can open carry in Georgia - Y'all come.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 30, 2011, 12:35 AM   #7
bullethole1

Wow ,I didnt know that about the other states. I guess in Texas you cant legally do so?
Old July 30, 2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

Oh, for God's Sake.

Closed.