The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Shanester66

Mossberg 590A1....defense ammo?

Hey guys...just purchased my 1st shotgun and was wondering what you guys use for defense ammo? Maybe advice on range ammo too.
Thanks in advance for any help.
NAFC Life Member
Old September 17, 2009, 11:09 AM   #2
oneounceload

Think you'll find as more folks chime in, and if you read through past threads that good old 00 Buck is first with slugs a close second place. Depending on the rules of your range, practice rounds may vary somewhat.

And welcome to TFL
Old September 17, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Kmar40

I guess we need a thread on "What is the best self defense ammo for ____" for every type of shotgun.

Try reading the Baikal thread and viewing the links provided for the 6000 other threads that covered this.

Or maybe just use the search button.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Shanester66

I was actually looking for more brand related info then type but thanks.
NAFC Life Member
Old September 17, 2009, 03:21 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No brand specifics will suit for every use. Many brands make a nearly identical load for each type use. Regular 00 buck or low recoil 00 buck in any brand is what I would feed to intruders...
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 05:27 PM   #6
JerseyDrez

After reading all of those penetration test articles, I am a bit hesitant in using a shotgun as home defense...especially since I have 3 other family members in the house.

Everyone goes back and forth on self-defense loads, but for target, just shoot whats cheap. I usually use Sellier and Bellot 00B, because it comes in packs of 25 shells for around $10...good ammo for fairly inexpensive. It beats buying those little packs of 5 shells for 6$, eff that.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old September 17, 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

Depends on what you want for patterning and penetration. More than ever, you can tailor your defensive shotgun's performance by your ammo choices these days. For open patterns, try S&B, Rio Royal or other inexpensive, soft lead pellet, unprotected buckshot loads. For medium patterns, the standard buckshot loads from major manufacturers (Federal, Remington, Fiocchi) should do. For really tight patterns, there's a good chance Federal Premium or LE loads, or Hornady TAP FPD, all of which feature the FliteControl wad, will deliver for you.

Whatever you decide to use, run the gun HOT (about 15 rounds as fast as you can shuck 'em should do it) and make sure it's still running the ammo you chose without getting sticky.

Then load the magazine with the buckshot of your choice, stuff some slugs in the Sidesaddle or butt cuff, and you'll be good to go. For practice/training, whatever birdshot runs well in the gun and is cheap will do.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Kmar40

Quote:
I was actually looking for more brand related info then type but thanks.
Sorry, I came in a little too hot on that landing.

I don't think one could know ahead of time. Your gun may like one brand or another. I've seen some guns that shoot a drastically different pattern with different loads. You won't know until you test it.
Old September 17, 2009, 07:01 PM   #9
therealtwitch

as with any gun and ammo there will be MANY opinions. for what its worth mine is loaded with 2 3/4 federal flight control 00 buck.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:17 PM   #10
inSight-NEO

Personally, I prefer Federal LE Low-Recoil 00 Buck (9 pellet) for HD. For range use, I simply use the non-LE variant of this same load. Both are 2 3/4" loads.

I have considered trying #1 or #4 Buck, but have yet to try either.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:40 PM   #11
therealtwitch

i have wanted to try the low recoil stuff but never seem to find it in stock at the story when I am there. I hear good things though
Old September 17, 2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Cruncher Block

Defense: whatever 00 buck patterns best. Right now, it's Remington 8 pellet reduced recoil. I also have some Federal standard load flitecontrol but I haven't patterned it yet.

Range: whatever is cheap and safe. For pumps, birdshot works for practicing basics of sighting, form, and handling (think reloading while staying on target). Run some buckshot as well just to be sure your technique holds up with full-power loads.
Old September 18, 2009, 02:16 AM   #13
ADB

Quote:
After reading all of those penetration test articles, I am a bit hesitant in using a shotgun as home defense...especially since I have 3 other family members in the house.
If there's any chance that your shots are going to be backstopped by an inhabited room, don't take the shot. Period. Buckshot will go through walls. Even birdshot will go through walls with incredible ease and remain fatal on the other side.

The closest thing to being truly safe against overpenetration is a handgun loaded with Glaser safety slugs. Even with those you should exercise caution.
Old September 18, 2009, 07:27 AM   #14
GeauxTide

Welcome

One of the most hotly contested subjects in the time I've been on the forum. Almost as diverse as the personal preference in the firearm selection process. My own preference is 7.5 or 8 shot dove loads in the gun with five 00 on the external mag.
Old September 19, 2009, 07:57 AM   #15
zombieslayer

I like to load mine up with a couple 3" magnum OO bucks (15 32cal lead shots!?) and then four rounds of 1oz slugs. I could keep one in the chamber for even one more round, but dont feel the need to. But shoot a few types, you'll see that at HD distances, pretty much any type of 12ga ammo is going to cause Major Damage!!! hell, #4 highbrass turkey load would be more than suitable fo home protection, imho
Old September 19, 2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

Remington has a new home defense load that is a duplex load of #2 and #4 shot. I guess Remington doesn't know anything about using shotguns for H/D........
Old September 19, 2009, 01:43 PM   #17
Superhouse 15

I'm a big fan of the Flite Control loads from Federal. Truly amazing patterns from SD type guns. The discontinued the low recoil OO civillian load, but still list it as LEO only. Send them repeated emails about it, I do, and it worked for the Nyclad.
Old September 19, 2009, 04:48 PM   #18
bartenderfloyd

I use winchester 00 low recoil. I like the way they shoot out of my 500. I keep the Remington 000 around too but shooting that stuff is like firing a cannon.
Old September 20, 2009, 01:38 PM   #19
inSight-NEO

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Flite Control loads from Federal. Truly amazing patterns from SD type guns.
I agree.

Quote:
They discontinued the low recoil OO civillian load, but still list it as LEO only.
This is news to me. Is this a recent development?

This confused me as almost every reseller I shop at (whether brick and mortar store or online store) carries the standard (or "civilian" as you call it) low recoil 00 Buck variant. The "Federal Premium Home" website also continues to list the Low Recoil 00 Buck as an option. In addition (and on occassion), you can also find the "LE" version being sold at AmmunitionToGo.com.

If nothing else, I hear Hornady offers a solid Low Recoil round as well (the TAP series I think...not sure).

Quote:
I hear an awful lot about this stuff and IMHO, almost any effective round can prove quite penentrative. Sure, some penetrate more than others and its not bad to err on the side of caution. But, you also dont want to end up on the side of the fence where "ineffectiveness" may reside. Either way, I guess based on general consensus that #1 or #4 Buckshot are good, less penetrative rounds should you decide to stay with in the Buckshot family. Then there are the proponents of various Birdshot loads. Then, there are folks like me who prefer the Low recoil 00 Buck loads (coming in at around 1140 fps..give or take).

Its ironic that you voice hesitancy about using a shotgun for HD vs. say, a handgun. I say this because I know of several individuals who have chosen to use a shotgun for HD exclusively due to their concerns about various handgun loads being far too penetrative. So it goes...

In either case, I honestly believe the best precaution against "overpenetration" is practice, familiarity (with the weapon used, the ammo contained within and your surroundings) and avoiding "wild" or "blind" shots at all costs. Also, closely tied to my previous statement, Im of the mind that unless an assailant (or probable assailant) is within plain sight, completely identifiable and within plausible range, there is absolutely no reason a weapon should be fired.

Any bullet/round, regardless of caliber, can result in disaster if the weapon firing it is not wielded in a responsible manner. To put it another way; no round, no matter how "safe," will make up for carelessness.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; September 20, 2009 at 03:00 PM.