The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 30, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1
KCabbage

Silencer in Nebraska?

Greetings.
What must be done to obtain a silencer for a home defense rifle in Nebraska?
Hiow long does it take? How much does it all cost?
Thank you for your time and help!
Take care
Old April 30, 2008, 09:54 PM   #2
MGRacer

Here are a couple of good pages that should help you with suppressor ownership questions. It sounds more complex than it is and it is well worth it!!

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ownership.asp

http://www.srtarms.com/legalities.htm

Ar these the kind of home defense rifles you had in mind?

Silenced 44 Mag Rifle -- The Silent Destroyer by TD Mfg.

AAC M4-2000 Suppressor on AR-15
Old May 1, 2008, 07:10 AM   #3
KCabbage

Thank you very much.
Old May 1, 2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Lawyer Daggit

Can I recommend that you not suppress a gun that is intended to be used for self defence.

I know your reasoning is probably that a loud report indoors could damage your hearing, but silencers or more correctly 'sound moderators' are a tool linked with 'offensive' use in that their user intends to capitalise on the element of surprise, and for this reason they are associated with hit men.

The use of a silencer could influence the decision to prosecute and may also influence a jury.

If worried about heading use a load that is not going to go throught the sound barrier.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5
MGRacer

Even a load that is moving slower than the speed of sound will have a muzzle blast that will damage your hearing. However, long ago I decided that if necessary I would not worry about damage to my hearing if it meant protecting my family.

It is my opinion that most rifle rounds have too much penetration for my use as home defense (however, I live in town so your situation may be different.)
Old May 2, 2008, 04:31 AM   #6
mnono

You'll need to do a form 4 and pay a transfer tax 0f $200. It takes about 6-8 weeks.

I wouldn't use a suppressor on a home defense firearm. That's just a legal problem waiting to blowup

Contact Rob at http://www.exeter-arms.com/ he's located in Nebraska as well, which will help you in your transfer.

He will have something in stock. Good luck and have fun.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:53 AM   #7
KCabbage

Thanks everyone!
This world is so backwards. I want a silencer to protect my hearing in case of a self-defense scenario. I can't beleive that would be a possible legal problem. If thats the case, why in the world are they civilian legal? I guess i'll just buy some tomahawks instead.
Are there silencers that last quite a while? I've seen information stating they wear out very quickly.
I will probably leave it alone for now considering by abou the time I got it the new pres. would probably ban it.
Take care y'all
Old May 7, 2008, 09:39 PM   #8
David Hineline

Spending too much time

You are spending too much time talking to people who have never done it but are sure they know all about it.

Come to the shoot in Kearney, NE Aug 16, there will be plenty of dealers there to service you, and they will have a time on the firing line when only silenced weapons will be used.

http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/ffs.pdf
Old May 7, 2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Lurch37

Quote:
Contact Rob at http://www.exeter-arms.com/ he's located in Nebraska as well, which will help you in your transfer.
An excellent suggestion as I have spent time talking to Rob. He likes to talk fast, but, just ask all the questions you can think of, even if you have to ask twice or three times...

As stated previously, there is a $200 tax on top of whatever price you pay for the silencer itself. Depending on the Maker of the silencer, he was quoting me that they should be good for many thousands of rounds, say 10-15k, then this particular Maker would rebuild it free once, they charge a fee the second time, they a bit more the third time, etc..

Your local Police Chief also has to sign off on it I think, or you have to make a Trust. Anyways, give Rob a call and he will fill you in....in a hurry.
Old May 8, 2008, 01:19 PM   #10
KCabbage

What a trust?
Thanks
Take care
Old May 8, 2008, 01:20 PM   #11
KCabbage

How much would this cost me? I want one as short as possible.
Old May 9, 2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Crosshair

If you want to use a suppressor for HD I would say go for it. The Lawyers can/will try to get you on anything if they want to. Any defense lawyer that doesn't drool on themselves will be able to shoot those arguments down.
Old May 9, 2008, 09:32 PM   #13
David Hineline

Meeting in Lincoln

I will be at this meeting in Lincoln if you want t get answers in person.

http://ccwnebraska.yuku.com/topic/1960
Old September 25, 2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Exeter Arms

Hey KCabbage, This is Rob with Exeter Arms. I can answer all your questions and take care of all your needs. Give me a call at 402-366-1596 anytime. I am available almost 24 hours a day. We keep over 200 silencers in stock all the time. Rest assured I will not talk so fast.