The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 11, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
ericp

Question on range etiquette and laser usage

I recently started frequenting an indoor range and would like to hear the opinions of people on the usage of lasers. While I am familiar with my sights, I have added a laser to my Glock and would like to put some time in on it. I certainly don't want to offend anyone or cause them to lose their concentration. Would any of you like to comment on your experiences?
Old March 11, 2008, 09:51 PM   #2
crashm1

As long as the beam stays downrange I don't care.
Old March 11, 2008, 09:59 PM   #3
AKGunner

I say use it. I practice with one on my snubby regularly. I can't imagine someone having a problem with your laser as long as it's pointed down range. It ain't golf. There are loud bangs going off constantly at the ranges I go to.
Old March 11, 2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

Unless it is forbidden by the rules of that particular range, who is to say you can't or shouldn't use it? If someone has taken up shooting so they can relax in quiet without distractions like loud bangs, odd lights, flashes, etc., perhaps flower arranging is for them!

You bought it, use it, train with it, be safe with it and enjoy. Lasers are valuable shooting aids.
Old March 12, 2008, 01:13 AM   #5
jpwilly

If some baby at the range doesn't like your laser challenge them to a dual! The only thing that angers me at the range is getting hit by someones brass over and over and having to tell them their brass is hitting me (as if it's not obvoius) or the non saftey types who think firearms are toys and are screwing off the entire time!
Old March 12, 2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Darren007

Quote:
getting hit by someones brass over and over and having to tell them their brass is hitting me (as if it's not obvoius)

I've had this happen to me so many times, Im startin wonder if most people are just brain dead. And im not talking about the occasional errant brass that flies my way. I can deal with that. Its mostly the .22lr guys who blast away without a care in the world, completely oblivious that im pulling their hot brass out of my shirt.
Old March 12, 2008, 01:26 AM   #7
bentol888

"Hey you! That laser sight is startin' to piss me off!" Can you imagine?
Old March 12, 2008, 01:42 AM   #8
chris in va

I've never heard it being an issue. If anything be prepared to hear requests to "try it out".
Old March 12, 2008, 01:46 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The only thing that angers me at the range is getting hit by someones brass over and over and having to tell them their brass is hitting me (as if it's not obvoius) or the non saftey types who think firearms are toys and are screwing off the entire time!
I figure that this is just part of the experience. Anyway, what are they supposed to do? Stop shooting and wait until you're done?
Old March 12, 2008, 05:33 AM   #10
MLeake

getting hit by brass?

Don't stand to the right.

If you are shooting a revolver, why not ask the guy to change sides, so his brass won't be an issue? Yours won't be.

If you are shooting a semi-auto, then where is your own brass going?

This is why I prefer ranges which have those little divider walls between stations (unless I can get access to a M&P range with movement and barriers).
Old March 12, 2008, 06:09 AM   #11
Colt Delta Elite

Follow you own advice.

Quote:
If some baby at the range doesn't like your laser challenge them to a dual! The only thing that angers me at the range is getting hit by someones brass
Why don't you challenge the "brass thrower" to a dual. Your terrible problem will then get solved one way or another!

< this space for rent >
Old March 12, 2008, 11:49 AM   #12
model70fan

I was at an indoor range this weekend with a couple guys from work, I kept getting hit by the brass from my buddy to the left, even with the divider between us, it's part of range time. I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and thought I had it all cleaned out but when I got home and took of the sweatshirt I dumped about 30 cases from my hood, I didn't care, my brass probably hit the guy to the right of the barrier on my right, his was doing the same, etc... It happens. But back to the OP laser sights are legal and if others are looking at your target while shooting at theirs thats their problem Go ahead and have fun, just keep it down range(I wouldn't want a dot on my forehead either) let them worry about their own guns
Old March 12, 2008, 01:09 PM   #13
CraigC

Wouldn't bother me as long as the owner doesn't let his muzzle sweep anybody. The flying brass is a nuisance on an indoor range, usually the barriers are insufficient in keeping it at bay. At an outdoor range, it is unforgiveable. I don't put thousands of dollars into my babies and take mighty good care of them for some knucklehead to beat them to death with his flying brass. This is not a judgement on anyone here but the AK and AR shooters are the worst. YOU ARE responsible for where your brass goes and what it does when it gets there. If it dings my $1500 custom Ruger, we have a problem. I don't do it to others and I expect the same in return.
Old March 12, 2008, 01:36 PM   #14
P99fan

Regarding throwing brass on the next guy . . .

There are times when you can't do much about it. Move up a little or back a little to miss the guy to the right. But then if he decides to move . . .

When I'm shooting a semi-auto, I usually make it a point to tell the guy next to me that I'll do my best to miss him. If we're both shooting for an extended period of time, I've even offered to swap places.

What else should be done?
Old March 12, 2008, 02:34 PM   #15
ericp

Well I know what it feels like to get some brass down your shirt. I'll have to be sure to remember my neighbors from now on. Thanks for the feedback on the laser question too. I will certainly say if anything since installing it, my bad habits are becoming more apparent. Like for instance, why 1 out of 15 will be 6" away from the rest of the group. ... that will change.
Old March 12, 2008, 02:43 PM   #16
CraigC

Guess that depends on who was there first. If I pull up to the range and there are people shooting brass chuckers with nowhere to go but right next to them, I'll wait for them to finish or another lane to open up. If I'm there shooting and brass chuckers pull up to shoot and there is nowhere to go but right next to me (or another shooter that objects to getting pelted), usually something can be done to accommodate both shooters but ultimately it's his problem. 99% of my guns don't throw brass but many shooters who prefer autos seem to think it's no big deal, the "I can't do anything about it" excuse. The problem is most people won't speak up but would rather either wait for them to finish, take their hot brass down their shirt and all over their guns or just leave altogether. Well, YOU are just as responbile for that brass popping out the side as you are the bullet flying out the front. You ain't gonna beat up my guns with your brass!
Old March 12, 2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

1) Never heard of a problem with lasers at a range. They'll sure make you be aware of Rule #2!

2) If flying brass (or loud noises) bother you, I would suggest building your own range someplace, or maybe taking up knitting. Some annoyances come with the hobby; buy a helmet.
Old March 12, 2008, 03:20 PM   #18
MLeake

I generally don't worry about the brass, but...

... I must admit, at one of the outdoor ranges where I sometimes shoot, there are some young, early-20's AK guys. You know the type, set up rifle targets at 25 yards so they can shoot as fast as they can pull the trigger and still (maybe) hit the target.

If I see them around, it's usually time to start packing up my gear. They are not only oblivious to where their brass is flying, but they can't control those rifles as well as they should at the rates of fire they are attempting. While I'm pretty sure all their rounds are ultimately stopped by the berm, I suspect it's a matter of time before some go flying (luckily, it's a national forest, so rounds shouldn't fly into an inhabited area).

Unfortunately, it's a state owned range, and it has no rangemasters.
Old March 12, 2008, 03:23 PM   #19
MLeake

Beating up guns with brass

Brass is a fairly soft metal. I've never seen it "beat up" a gun. Has anybody actually seen a firearm damaged by somebody else's flying brass? I could picture a really freak bit of geometry and timing causing some odd stovepipes, but can't picture brass damaging one of my pistols or rifles.

Only hot brass that ever dropped down my shirt was my own. Shooting a P220 at an indoor range, and brass hit the divider, did a corner shot off the wall to the ceiling, and right down the collar of my chamois. Haven't duplicated that trick yet...
Old March 12, 2008, 03:30 PM   #20
toybox99615

WOW

That's the only comments I seem to get when I use my Viridian green pulsating laser on my P22 at the range. Pretty soon I have a few guys who want to try it out. Usually I let them fire a mag full down range. Lasers are here to stay. Those who get upset should be required to use a blunderbuss if they are opposed to changing technology.

I think there are now four of us with lasers shooting at the Saturday night gallery shooting.
Old March 12, 2008, 05:24 PM   #21
bclark1

+1 Tamara.

There is no such thing as a "perfect" situation. Anyone who shoots for defensive or hunting purposes should already be versed in dealing with distractions. Lasers are fine for use, and should require no caveat, as they pose no danger if the gun they're attached to stays safe. If distractions - lasers, noise, brass, whatever - are such a problem, you might want to pick a tamer hobby. Lord knows I have the attention span of a gnat in most situations but I am locked on when shooting. Brass seems to be a particularly hot topic, though off-topic. People should know where they're shooting, and it's their fault if they bring some gold inlaid ultra-fancy custom job somewhere that it might get damaged. Personal responsibility should be something the gun community espouses, not being a "victim" of the guy in the next lane. I'd much prefer 100 responsible citizens shooting $250 trade-ins and throwing brass down my shirt to shutting them out for one fellow who can't suffer the indignity of an inconsistency in his finish. Know your surroundings, be proactive, and control yourself in spite of distractions.
Old March 12, 2008, 07:41 PM   #22
CraigC

Quote:
Brass is a fairly soft metal. I've never seen it "beat up" a gun.
Yeah, and soft copper bullets don't wear out tough steel barrels either right? Seriously folks, I did not pull this rabbit out of my hat. If you don't think a brass case flying at a high rate of speed can damage your guns, try it. Is anybody here willing to take a fistful of empty brass and throw it at one of their prized possessions? I'd especially like to see this demonstration on something wearing a nice stick of walnut.

Quote:
Personal responsibility should be something the gun community espouses, not being a "victim" of the guy in the next lane.
Yes, it should and auto shooters should take responsibility for their brass. Would you not be pissed if a fellow shooter walked up to you while you were shooting and poked your rifle several times with a screwdriver? What's the difference? Absolutely none. It has nothing to do with being distracted, I can handle the brass bounching off my skull. It has everything to do with having enough respect for your fellow shooters to mind where your brass is being ejected. Makes absolutely no difference how much whatever it is costs. It's my property, I work my ass off to pay for it, I am NOT willing to allow some inconsiderate shooter damage it just to keep from hurting his wittle feewings. It's attitudes like yours that make public ranges so undesireable.

Quote:
If flying brass (or loud noises) bother you......maybe taking up knitting.
Give me a break. I did not just fall off the turnip truck. Maybe if the prospect of taking responsibility for your own actions is so offensive, you should take up knitting.
Old March 12, 2008, 09:38 PM   #23
captkirk9195

I guess my range is pretty good, as we don't get hit from neighboring brass from the dividers
Old March 12, 2008, 09:56 PM   #24
mac45

As long as the laser doesn't show up on ME, I don't have a problem with 'em at the range. In fact, I might be one of those guys that asks to try it
As far as the brass thing goes, guess I'm lucky. It's not a serious problems at any of the ranges I go to.
Old March 13, 2008, 12:16 AM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Yeah, and soft copper bullets don't wear out tough steel barrels either right?
Soft copper bullets are going many hundreds of feet per second and are propelled by tremendously hot gases. Even so it takes many thousands of bullets to wear out a barrel. Brass is going a few feet per second. It might ding a wood stock, but that's about it. I've used brass punches quite vigorously on blued finishes with no ill effects.
Quote:
Give me a break. I did not just fall off the turnip truck. Maybe if the prospect of taking responsibility for your own actions is so offensive, you should take up knitting.
Public range=getting hit with brass. If flying brass enrages you then a public range is not a place you should ever go. One might as well complain about how dangerous cars make it to cross the street as complain about the perils of flying brass at a public range.

If someone in the range next to me were to complain about my brass, I would do what I can to help (move slightly, move to another lane if possible), but I'm not going to stop shooting because they have a problem with flying brass. Flying brass is simply part of the public range experience--like loud noises, smoke and the smell of gunpowder... People who can't tolerate those things are going to be unhappy at a range no matter how hard people try to accomodate them.