The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2014, 04:36 PM   #1
bigwrench

Sizing powder coated bullets.

How much thickness are you adding to bullets when powder coating? And, are you sizing before, after, or both before and after powder coating?
Old December 21, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2
straight-shooter

Adds a couple of thousands thickness and I resize after coating only.
Old December 21, 2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Adds a couple of thousands thickness and I resize after coating only.
Ditto. If you want to lead up your die you will do it quick with a bullet that is not lubed or coated. Plus size matters when loading, not before coating or lubing. Not saying a .001" will make a huge difference but coating and bullet diameter will likely vary a little and if they swing .003"-.004" you could create an issue if they aren't sized prior to loading.
Old December 21, 2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Super Sneaky Steve

I PC first then size. Never been a problem. Squirting my push through die with a little One Shot doesn't hurt either.

The only time I size first is when adding a gas check. Then I put a little lube on the GC before running them through.
Old December 21, 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
armoredman

i size first, using One Shot, (can't stand the stuff as a case lube, but it works wonders with lead), then when I need some I clean them and powder coat. Then size again. Why? Well, I haven't any reason to change what I've been doing, and if I decide to traditional lube, they are already sized. So I end up with a baggie full of cast sized bullets waiting for whatever lube I feel like throwing on.
Full disclosure - I just started powder coating a month or so ago.
Old December 22, 2014, 04:08 AM   #6
hartcreek

I size my bullets as I cast them. I dump my wet quenched bullets out and immediately run them through the sizer die while wet. I powder coated after the bullets had dried. I only have powder coated for 9mm for glocks as it just does not make sence to me to do everything.

I am hardcasting and gaschecking and appl the Lee liquid Allox with a Q tip on my rifle bullets and it seems to work better. I am using them in my 30-06 at 2600 fps and not getting leading.
Old December 22, 2014, 12:53 PM   #7
oldpapps

Oil and the like don't do well on bullets when powder coating, it sticks to the oil but when baked, slips off.

I cast, let em cool, push through a Lee 'push' sizing die, shake in powder, bake, let em cool, push though the sizing die the second time, load.

Do I need to size before coating? No. But that is my habit. I seldom cast and coat on the same day (same week) but have a lot of time sitting around with little to do and the first sizing operation gives me something to do. I seldom have any empty brass that is not spoken for in some special project. It just gets loaded up.

As to the initial question.

Harbor Freight Red tends to go on a little thicker for me. How much? Don't know, they get sized anyway.
PBTP powders have covered well on a one coat process. Any time I tried a second coat, it was a 'too' thick failure. All I want is for the polyester to cover the bearing surface and butt of my bullets. I've moved to a 'Clear' polyester powder. I don't have to be concerned with thin spots in the pigments in the coating. (OK, I do slip a little color in from time to time but just a hint, neon pink and neon yellow.)

I only do 'shak-en-bake' coating. Can't speak for the much purdier spray on coating style.

Load with care and enjoy,

OSOK
Old December 22, 2014, 02:55 PM   #8
armoredman

Quote:
Oil and the like don't do well on bullets when powder coating, it sticks to the oil but when baked, slips off.
Good point, should have mentioned I clean sized bullets with acetone prior to powder coating. Clean and thoroughly dry.
Old December 23, 2014, 12:36 AM   #9
bigwrench

I have one mold for 9mm that drops at .357. Which is perfect for one of my pistols, however another likes them at .356, and yet another at .355. Add a couple thousandths and that's a lot to reduce at one time. I'm hoping that the powder coat will allow me to size at .356 after coating and have them work well in all three guns. Then I will not have to load three different batches of bullets for three different guns. What are your experiences with bore fit on powder coated bullets as it relates to accuracy and barrel cleanliness in comparison to non coated bullets?
Old January 13, 2015, 07:17 PM   #10
bangerjim

I have been PC'ing for well over a year now and it is great!

ESPC will add normally 2 thou or so to the size, but when you shove it thru you sizing die, it is whatever your sizing die is.

I size after casting (to catch any out layers and for improved size accuracy) and after PC'ing....normally. If I am actually trying to gain size, I do NOT resize the PC. I cast a 9mm NLG that I PC and then size for 38 SPL with great success.

But as said.....keep all grease and lubes off your bare lead because that stuff will cause problems when you bake.