The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Biff Tannen

Rossi Circut Judge... Yes or no?

http://http://www.rossiusa.com/produ...fm?category=15
Own it?
Shot it?
Thoughts / experiences?
Would / wouldnt buy it?

Thanks for playin!
Old December 27, 2011, 11:16 AM   #2
seansean1444

i really like the idea but im waiting for more options with rounds... i like the .22lr, 22wmr combo
Old December 27, 2011, 11:24 AM   #3
BigJimP

No, I don't own one / and I think the concept is interesting ...but I don't think its that practical / or at least not practical for anything I need a weapon to do....

A standard pump or semi-auto shotgun in .410 has at least 3 shots / and if you can legally take the plug out ....most of them will shoot 5 shells. A good utilitarian pump gun like the Browning BPS is available in a .410 .

The .45 LC isn't an especially attractive caliber to me ..or at least nothinig there that a more modern caliber .....44 mag, .357 mag or even a .45 acp can't do.

If I wanted to carry a modern .410 shotgun ...and a .44 mag or .357 mag revolver in a holster...in effect I have the same capability - or more, because I'd have at least 9 shells ( 3 in shotgun / 6 in revolver --- or maybe 5 in shotgun and 6 in revolver) / and frankly much higher quality weapons in the dedicated shotgun and dedicated revolver / although its 2 weapons....and while the Rossi is cheaper / it just doesn't make sense to me.

To me its a novelty ...and I've seen them for sale at my local gunshows over the last few months....

Last edited by BigJimP; December 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old December 27, 2011, 08:59 PM   #4
zippy13

Remember the old western movies: The characters who didn't know anything about guns and/or couldn't shoot straight were assigned shotguns. I suspect their real life counterparts are the market Rossi is targeting with their Circuit Judge.

The .410-bore patterns the poorest of the popular shot shells. Do you really think shooting a 41 shot shell in a 45 rifled barrel is going to improve it's performance?

I'm with my buddy, Big Jim, on this one -- The Circuit Judge is, at best, a novelty. Don't get me wrong, I have several .45 LC revolvers and .410-bore shotguns; but, I have absolutely no desire to combine them.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

Well, they aren't legal to hunt birds with despite the cylinder plug they come with.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
beezeecee

briefly delurking

I purchased a Circuit Judge in 410/45 last fall. I didn't get a chance to shoot it until a trip back home to Ohio in December. Most folks will tell you all of the negatives of the Judge line. I can tell you that my dad and I had more fun shooting this rifle than most anything else that we've shot in the last few years. Completely impractical but will put a smile on your face if you take it for what it is. We enjoyed some "cowboy load" 45 ammo in particular. I wouldn't choose it as my only long gun, but I am definitely happy that I made some room for it. Let us know what you decided.
Jeremiah Johnson: Found him froze to a tree.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
oneounceload

I am curious how well the shield works so it doesn't hurt your arm with the cylinder gap
Old January 13, 2012, 05:31 PM   #8
beezeecee

Oneounce,
They seem to work as intended. We were shooting with long sleeves but no gloves. My wife, my dad, and I all shot without any problem. My biggest complaint is how cheap the sights feel. They are made of plastic and seem like they could break easily. My haven't, but I wouldn't be shocked if they ever did. I'm not really sure why they chose to go so cheap, but then again not too many people ask for my financial advice.
Jeremiah Johnson: Found him froze to a tree.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Microgunner

I'll have the .22lr/.22wmr combo as soon as they become available.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Quickdraw Limpsalot

It's interesting, but I have no use for it and won't be buying one.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:57 PM   #11
huntinaz

If the 45 colt shoot semi-accurately I think the 45/410 would be a fun gun and still kinda practical. Same goes with the 22/22mag. Wish they weren't made by Rossi. If I find a good deal on one I'll probably buy one years down the road.
Old January 13, 2012, 06:06 PM   #12
huntinaz

Oh wait, just read that the 410 barrel is rifled. So why have it shoot 410? Lame, I think the 22/22Mag would be a fun plinker still. Should have made one in 38/357 instead of 45/410 if they were gonna rifle the barrel.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:47 PM   #13
HShack

Well, the barrel is rifled f0r the .45 LC. It c0mes with 2 screw in ch0kes- 0ne is just sm00th, the 0ther has straight rifling. [ my "o" desn't wrk].

T sht bird sht
, yu use the straight rifling. Fr the .45 LC, yu use the smth tube. Yu als use it fr the >410 Winchester PDX defensive rund. It has 3 cpper disks [which engage the rifling] and abut 12 BB's [in the 2 1/2" shell]. Awesme rund fr a 410.

Als, there's a 250 grain .45 LC rund with a big hllw pint bullet that is impressive.

Old January 13, 2012, 08:55 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
Own it?
Shot it?
Thoughts / experiences?
Would / wouldnt buy it?
No.

No.

Maybe OK as a donor for a steampunk prop.... if I was into that sort of thing......

Not.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:35 PM   #15
zippy13

I'm rethinking the concept after reading a recent posting in TFL's handgun forum: The revolver version, the Judge, makes a great snake handgun. A .410-bore shot shell puts out a lot more than a conventional revolver capsule shot load.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:49 PM   #16
huntinaz

Quote:
The revolver version, the Judge, makes a great snake handgun. A .410-bore shot shell puts out a lot more than a conventional revolver capsule shot load.
And I can tell you that standard 38 shot caps are hell on snakes, there is no need whatsoever to fire 410 loads at them. Plus, you don't have to buy a taurus!

Quote:
Well, the barrel is rifled f0r the .45 LC. It c0mes with 2 screw in ch0kes- 0ne is just sm00th, the 0ther has straight rifling. [ my "o" desn't wrk].
Why the hell would you make a rifled choke for a rifled bore???

I'm told rifling will make a terrible pattern, but will a smooth choke fix this? If so, then I think the option to shoot 410 and 45 colt loads accurately would be a functional firearm.
Old January 13, 2012, 10:30 PM   #17
Lee Lapin

Don't own one, haven't shot one, have handled/examined them. Wouldn't buy one. I'm happy with conventional large bore revolvers, if I need one of those (have .44 Mag SA Rugers and a S&W Mod. 29), and can't see any use in a "neither fish nor fowl" chimera - no matter how popular it is.

But if you want one, it's your money.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 14, 2012, 02:05 PM   #18
HShack

^Why the hell would you make a rifled choke for a rifled bore???

I'm told rifling will make a terrible pattern, but will a smooth choke fix this?^

The smooth choke is just basically a thread protector, used when shooting the .45 LC or the Winchester >410 PDX defensive round with the copper disks, or .410 slugs.

The other choke has lands and grooves but they are straight-not spiraled.
Used when shooting any type of shot. This choke tends to straighten out the chaotic flow of the shot imparted by the rifling, thereby minimizing the pattern size.

By the way, the PDX round tends to put the copper disks in the center of the pattern [ because they are engaged by the rifling] and the BB's spread out pretty good [also because of the rifling].

Seems to me for a home defense weapon you'd want a large pattern.
Old January 14, 2012, 04:33 PM   #19
WV_gunner

I have a .45/.410 version and love it. Pretty accurate gun surprisingly. I just leave the thread protector in always. Federal 000 3 inch are fun and for hunting Hornady ballistic tips are nice. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot at the range.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:19 AM   #20
Lee Lapin

Seems to me for a home defense weapon you'd want a large pattern.

Some folks agree with that idea. Others don't.

I don't think of a shotgun as a "to whom it may concern" weapon, unless there's a guarantee there are absolutely no friendlies/noncombatants downrange and therefore in danger from 'friendly fire.' I want everything coming out of the muzzle to go where I want it to go, not where the vagaries of physics sends it, and as I see it, it's my job to hit what I shoot at, no matter what I'm shooting.

Anyone who wants a scattergun is welcome to them, it isn't my job to tell anyone else what they should want. But narrow assumptions can lead to wrong conclusions.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:56 AM   #21
aztecjaguar

Just purchased A Circuit Judge:

I own a Public Defender Judge. I love this gun. I saw a Circuit Judge at my local Gun Shop. I was looking for a rifle that I could possibly hunt with. Was considering a .410. So I bought it on a trade with my AK 47. which I felt I had no use for. He put a Hologram glass on it. I am considering putting a scope on it. Wonder if anyone has any suggestions on a good inexpensive scope I could get.Took it out Sunday to shoot. It had been a while since I had been shooting & it was fun. I was impressed with the accuracy with the .45 and also the PDX loads. I was shooting at a distance of about 40 yards. Some problems though. The cylinder seemed to hang up when cocking the trigger. I don't know if the .45 shell was not seated right or what. Wonder if anyone has had this happen to them. Also the stock gets in the way when ejecting the shells. I wonder if anyone has modified the stock to compensate. I went on the Taurus site but I haven't gotten any response. Also the cost of the .45 colt ammo is outrageous. I hope to find someone who reloads that I can purchase from. Would like to learn to do it myself. I've heard mixed opinions on hunting with one but I hope to try it out myself.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Pfletch83

After some thinking on the subject a Circuit Judge would be a very good option for home defense because the cylinders can be kept loaded without the worry of magazine springs wearing out or becoming weak.

Load it with a cylinder full of .410 Buckshot or .45 colt hollow points and a person would be hard pressed to find a better option.

It can be loaded ( The speed loaders made by 5-star) or unloaded in a flash, and fired at the same rate as a semi-auto but without the worry of a jam ( as long as U.S. spec. ammo is used) and be used one handed if for some reason the other hand is out of action ( through injury or holding a flashlight/phone) I've been thinking about picking one of the circuit judge revolving carbine/shotguns for awhile.

But I do have my two Mossberg 500E's that do a good job for around the house .410 defensive duty ( The S&W Gov. is a good option as well for the same tasks and for close range personal defense outside the home)

Last edited by Pfletch83; April 17, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old April 19, 2013, 06:44 PM   #23
CurlyQ.Howard

Not to be critical, but in a world of skateboards, the Rossi Circuit Judge is a pogo stick (IMHO).
Old April 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #24
lee n. field

Quote:
Would / wouldnt buy it?
I looked at and handled the .45/.410 version at Wally World. It was pretty, and seemed reasonably well made. Insert obligatory Taurus warnings here.

Would be more interested in it as a dedicated .45 Colt (or .44 Magnum) carbine. (Which, I notice they do have a .44 Magnum version now, with an unsightly rail. At least they list one. Taurus has been known to list vaporware guns that never materialize.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 20, 2013, 01:36 AM   #25
ShelbyV8

It has a smooth full choke for the 410 and a smooth cylinder bore for the 45LC. Since the 45 is .44 larger than the 410 don't shoot .45 through the full choke.

Tags
rossi circuit judge