The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Targa

M9 Beretta guide rod

I picked up a M9 yesterday and I love the gun but man that cheap, flimsy guide rod is a borderline insult in cost cutting. I have already ordered a proper steel one that should have been used in the first place. Anyway I digress, has anyone kept that plastic insult long enough to see if there any adverse affects to it after a couple thousand rounds or so?
Old January 24, 2017, 07:18 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

Mine has been plastic for the whole time I've had it, for a few thousand rounds or so. Never had a problem with it. I believe military issue M9s have plastic guide rods as well.

One issue I have heard about with switching to metal guide rods, is the rod bending when it gets hit or something. Plastic guide rods just flex and go right back to how they are supposed to be.
Old January 24, 2017, 07:31 PM   #3
iraiam

I think the polymer guide rod is actually part of the "sand resistant" scheme of the pistol. A steel guide rod will work fine, but steel can get bent. I have several 92/M9 pistols, I have changed some of the guide rods to steel for aesthetic reasons, I have also used the polymer rod extensively without issues.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 24, 2017, 07:44 PM   #4
GeneS

Yeah, the plastic guide rod is actually the better one.
Old January 24, 2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Targa

Ok everyone thank you, I will stick with the polymer and have the steel as a backup. I am just use to military issued M9's and they do have the steel rod. I knew the rods were plastic in the later offerings but when I took it a part and saw the thing I was pretty surprised at how.....well, flimsy it appeared. Sounds like it is good to go, thanks again.
Old January 25, 2017, 12:54 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Haven't heard any reports of problems with the plastic rods. The irony is that I have heard of the two-piece steel rods failing...
Old January 25, 2017, 04:39 AM   #7
b.thomas

I started thinking about going the metal route with my Smith 910s. Was advised on here and another web site to stick with the plastic!
five-six years later now and somewhere around two thousand rounds...........the plastic guide rod is still chugging along just fine.
Just might go with metal some day when I need a too change the guide rod, but for now I'll stay with the plastic!
As the old saying goes..............iffen she ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
Old January 25, 2017, 08:32 AM   #8
rodfac

My son has over 5000 round through his 92 with no guide rod problems. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 25, 2017, 08:49 AM   #9
Model12Win

Military M9s have plastic guide rods now. They are every bit as good as the steel ones and offer some benefits. You do NOT need or even want a steel guide rod, trust me on this. It is not a "cost cutting measure" but one of performance. Stick with the plastic guide rod and buy ammo instead.
Old January 25, 2017, 09:48 AM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.thomas
I started thinking about going the metal route with my Smith 910s. Was advised on here and another web site to stick with the plastic!
FWIW the issue on S&W metal-frame DA/SA auto pistols is different than with Berettas. On the Smiths, the guide rod has to sit in a tiny sharp-edged metal shelf under the barrel during reassembly, and if the edge of the plastic rod becomes rounded off, it may refuse to stay put, making reassembly a PITA. Some S&W fans prefer steel guide rods for this reason.

The guide rod retaining lug on the Beretta is much larger, so this is not a problem.
Old January 25, 2017, 10:15 AM   #11
Martowski

Plastic rod here in my 92fs, no problems at all.

Back in the 80's they said a plastic frame on a pistol would never work and look where we are now.
Old January 25, 2017, 10:31 AM   #12
g.willikers

What are the chances that polymer frames can flex and a steel guide rod might bind where a plastic one won't?
Just a thought.
Old January 25, 2017, 01:15 PM   #13
Martowski

I wouldn't think the guide rod would come into contact with the frame or be supported by it at all since it is held between the barrel and slide. But I could be off on this.
Old January 27, 2017, 09:45 AM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martowski
I wouldn't think the guide rod would come into contact with the frame or be supported by it at all since it is held between the barrel and slide. But I could be off on this.
Pardon delay in replying, hadn't had a chance to fish my 92S out of the safe and take it apart.

The guide rod doesn't remain in contact with the barrel lug; it bears on the takedown latch on rotation to the assembled position. In other words, the takedown latch interposes itself between the guide rod head and the barrel lug.

Since the takedown latch is in direct contact with the frame, it will transmit force directly from the guide rod to the frame.