The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2015, 06:37 PM   #1
BerdanSS

.36 ASP navy?

In the winter absence of the famed Croy Creek Traders Fair ....I was once again wandering through the local antique mall. Way in the back, there was a glass case with a steel framed .36 navy with a price tag of $160. It of course was laying on its right side. I asked if I could handle it. Two odd things, the hammer is a very strange shape to me (smaller in spur than my Pietta navy model) and the muzzle had almost like a 22° target crown on it, a very well finished one at that.

I'm making the assumption off of my limited and rusty knowledge, that this is an ASP for '81 off of the markings. If someone could confirm that I'd appreciate it

The timing and action are spot on. The cylinder is free of a turn ring and is very clean as is the bore. The color case hardening is a rich dark purple/blue and gold. It had a AH stamp on the right side (1981?) And the DGG circle stamp under the loading lever. Which I believe is Armi San Paolo or Euroarms? What do you think if it could be had for $150?
Old February 9, 2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Hawg

I'd have jumped on it for 160.
Old February 9, 2015, 08:41 PM   #3
Gaucho Gringo

It would be in my safe now if I had seen it.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old February 9, 2015, 08:58 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Yep I would not have left it there.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:02 PM   #5
BerdanSS

I've been thinking on it for a couple hours now, and hard. With half a mind to go get it tomorrow when they open, as I have tomorrow off work. But I guess I really should pass. I'm right at the end of finishing up a project gun, and I have two other pistols higher on the list than another navy (even though I don't have a true navy, mines a .44) I really want a .31 Baby Dragoon or L&R.

Wish I would of got good pictures of it out of the case. I'd of been more than happy to pick 'er up and send the ol gal one of you gents that would want it.

This is the best pic I got.

I realize the tag says $165, the other side is marked $160...but I'm fairly certain it could go out the door for $150 in Yankee greenbacks.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:04 PM   #6
BerdanSS

Here's another cry'n shame in the same case An (according to the seller) never even been capped .36 Euroarms Navy that other than a couple dings on the grip is pristine, not so much as a fingerprint..with the original box.

Old February 10, 2015, 09:22 AM   #7
BerdanSS

Deer Slayer, got your PM Sir. I fired you one back
Old February 10, 2015, 11:24 AM   #8
deerslayer303

Thank you.
Old February 10, 2015, 03:21 PM   #9
jspappap

I wish we had an antique mall like that around Fredericksburg Va.
Old February 10, 2015, 06:16 PM   #10
BerdanSS

I was eyeing that .45 cal single shot in the picture too he wouldn't come off it any though. It didn't have any markings on it. Despite its looks, it felt like a really quality piece.

Just goes to show ya, you should never rule out anywhere to look. I also got a copy of the 1973 black powder shooters bible for $1.75

When I walked past the case, I was hopping the volcanic pistol was real too...took about 4 seconds to realize it wasn't.
Old February 11, 2015, 06:02 PM   #11
deerslayer303

Woohoo, this Navy is on its way to the slayer stable!! Thanks so much BerdanSS, a very generous thing for you to do. I guess I finally own a Navy. Why not. I did this same thing a few years back there was a Pietta Navy laying in the LGS and even though I didn't want it, I didn't have the heart to let it sit there, so it came home with me and I shipped it to a member here. I have dealt with some very honest people on this forum, one of the reasons I don't talk black powder any where's else.
Old February 12, 2015, 04:50 PM   #12
BerdanSS

Your most welcome sir. Happy to help, can't have homeless pistols laying about now can we? And such a fine looking one at that. You'll have to judge for yourself, but that shorter hammer spur is something I would LOVE to have on my Colt Army. And the sight picture is crisp as a fresh carrot.

Man all this looking and holding.....I feel a NEED to burn some swiss! Dad gum that groundhog! C'mon spring!
Old February 12, 2015, 06:53 PM   #13
deerslayer303

Lol for sure
Old February 12, 2015, 07:38 PM   #14
deerslayer303

So that thing is an Armi San Paolo? If so did all their guns have that hammer??
Old February 12, 2015, 11:56 PM   #15
BerdanSS

Quote:
So that thing is an Armi San Paolo? If so did all their guns have that hammer??
I'm not sure as I'm not very familiar with ASP. All I know is personally, I LOVE the way the hammer is on this one

Hey Slayer....
Don't mean to put out a spoiler but I cant help myself, the color on this things frame is too purdy not to share

Old February 13, 2015, 08:08 AM   #16
deerslayer303

Wow, it is really pretty. That hammer is pretty slick also. It should be hereby day with the mail. Can't wait to see it. And it looks like the much hated Pietta tail is not present on the grip of this one.
Old February 13, 2015, 12:57 PM   #17
deerslayer303

And beauty she IS. I got her today. Very nice 51 Navy. THANK YOU. I think she will make the trip south to see Mike sometime soon also.
Old February 13, 2015, 05:09 PM   #18
BerdanSS

Outstanding! Yes the tail missing was one of the things that caught my eye. Fit very well in my hand. Not something I can say about too many '51s.
Old February 23, 2015, 10:45 PM   #19
BerdanSS

Well, if all the pieces fall into place, I'm going back Saturday for the unfired Euroarms .36 and possibly that single shot if a bargan can be made. $225 (hopefully $200 ) seems like an unbeatable deal for an unfired '70 production .36 navy. I wasn't going to buy one for myself, but not having a proper caliber navy, and that one sitting there has been gnawing at me
Old February 24, 2015, 08:07 AM   #20
deerslayer303

Lol yep things like that have a tendency to haunt you relentlessly haha. I'm surprised you fought it off this long.