The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
steelman93

Help with 700x and 9mm

Hello all, new here, but not to reloading.

I used to shoot in a trap league and reloaded a lot of shotshells using 700x. I moved and have not done any shotgunning in about 4 years due to a lack of a place to shoot, but I still do a lot of rifle shooting at an indoor range and recently started pistol shooting.

I have a large amount of 700x left over from my shotgun days I would like to use up (probably 4 pounds or so) The only pistol I own is a XDM in 9mm.

I looked up loads in an old Sierra manual I had and based on the loads there loaded 50 rounds of 90 grain metal jacked hollow points using 4.7 grains of 700X (the min load for a 90 grain bullet) and 50 rounds of 5.1 gn. I have some heavier bullets to load next, the Sierra manual didn't have any loads listed for 125 grain, and my newer Sierra manual doesn't have any loads using 700x. I went to Hodgdon's website and say that their loads for a 90 grain GDHP are 4.1 min and 4.5 max.

I am concerned about the rounds I loaded. I saw another posting and now wonder if the second edition Sierra manual I got the loads from were meant for lead bullets. I am concerned my loads are too hot.

Do I need to pull the bullets and reload the cases with a lighter charge, or can I use these?

TIA
Old December 4, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the answer is hard to know. The reason none of the SR powders are in QuickLOAD's database is the author says the burn rates have varied too much over the years for him to feel comfortable with publishing powder files for them. So, if you have a slow lot, you might be OK, but it's impossible to be at all certain.

Lyman #49 shows 3.8 grains of 700X starting to 4.2 grains maximum for 125 grain JHP bullets. For 90 grain JHP's it has 3.6 to 4.5 grains. The wider range is probably to cover light target loads. Lead bullet loads do go higher, to 5.1 grains in that manual.

In any event, it does sound like your loads may be on the warm side for the bullets you have. Whether or not you could fire them safely depends on a number of factors ranging from specific lot burn rate to how well your barrel supports the cases, and also whether or not the primer unseats them before the powder gets fully burning, and then how long your throat is once they get shifting forward like that.

I think the best advice, since those fast powders can get peaky pretty fast when overloaded, is to pull them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle