The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 2, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1
SKostas

Hearing protection for kids

Anyone recommend a good set of earplugs for kids? I need them to hear me while I'm teaching them how to shoot- I hear tell that the Peltor Combat Arms or some such are used by troops in theater with some success- anyone know of a good kid-sized version?
Old July 2, 2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Vt.birdhunter

Some "mold to fit" type plugs are likely to work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=521839
Old July 2, 2010, 05:59 PM   #3
jglsprings

I bought some electronic muffs, the kind where you can hear normal levels of sound, for my son. I wanted to make sure that he could hear EXACTLY everything I was saying. The hard part is finding a set that will adjust to the smaller head size.

Something along these lines......

muffs

Commas save lives...
Old July 2, 2010, 07:16 PM   #4
velocette

I've found that earplugs work pretty well in damping out the noise of unruly children. Ear muffs must be used along with earplugs to quell the noise of politicians pandering and puffering.

:-^
Roger
Old July 2, 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Casimer

How old are these kids?

Here's a forum dedicated to youth shooting programs. Someone there is likely to have some recommendations - http://www.targettalk.org/viewforum....c0fb7c4c1ae6ff
Old July 4, 2010, 03:39 AM   #6
bamaranger

Dillons

I bought youth sized muff's and glasses from Dillons, the Blue Press folks.

I also started bamaboy w/ a Cricket and .22 CB's, so that he could shoot a bit w/o muff's in the very early stages, and I could coach w/ him hearing easily. But we went to muffs quickly, trying to establish safe habits.
Old July 4, 2010, 01:20 PM   #7
SKostas

Thanks, everyone- they're 7 & 10- I don't know as muffs will be the way to go- but I'm going to try a couple of different plugs and see which they can hear me best with. We'll aslo be startin' em out with 22's....
Old July 4, 2010, 03:37 PM   #8
CPTMurdoc30

I got my 10 year old a set of Peltor Youth muffs and they work great. They allow him to hear me good enough and block a good bit of noise as well.

I have a hard time with ear plugs on him because his ears are very sensitive. I would look to see if you could find some small triple flange ear plugs.

For my plugs I use the following and They are nice soft gel I can wear them all day long and not be bothered by them.

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/no281125.html
Old July 15, 2010, 06:38 PM   #9
finz50

Let them use the foamies, just make sure you cut the in half (lengthwise). That's what I use for my 6 and 9 yr old kids...
Old July 15, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

There is significant sound transmitted to the ear canal via the bones around the ear. Muffs are needed to help deaden that sound. It's not a bad idea to use plugs too, but if you're going to use only one method, muffs are probably the way to go..

Be sure that the muffs seal all the way around their perimeter. Remember that the child won't know how the muffs are supposed to fit--you're going to have to help them make sure they are fitting properly and working well.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:53 AM   #11
demigod

Muffs for kids. Most people don't know how to get ear plugs in properly anyway. I always see them barely hanging out of their ears.

The only plugs I'd consider for kids would be the ones with the Stethescope style head piece that holds the plugs in place.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:42 AM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
There is significant sound transmitted to the ear canal via the bones around the ear. Muffs are needed to help deaden that sound. It's not a bad idea to use plugs too, but if you're going to use only one method, muffs are probably the way to go..
Exactly, and almost as much inner damage occurs this way - I just got my hearing tested, and one of the causes of my tinnitus over the years had been plugs only with my shotguns along with the occasional hunting shot with no protection. Muffs can be fitted to small heads, even with glasses on.
Old July 16, 2010, 06:50 PM   #13
Buzzard Bait

double muff

I double muff kids I use foam plugs in their ears and the a set of 31 rating ear muffs over that
bb
Old July 17, 2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Regular_Joe

'Ears' are important

Definitely recommend going with muffs for kids - their hearing is so much more sensitive than adults. I second the notes above about using foam plugs along with the muffs for younger kids and that kids rarely know how the muffs are supposed to fit.

I have 6, 8 and 12-yr-olds. The 6 year old uses muffs w/foam plugs, the 8 yr-old uses the peltor youth (~$25) muffs that he says are comfortable enough to wear all day, and the 12-yr-old uses a set of shotgunner muffs (slimmer, lighter, tighter fit for him - he is in between the youth and adult sizes).

Another thing we watch for is when they put on their 'eyes' - sometimes thick frames will unseal the muff.

Kudos for introducing the next generation to the fun and safe world of shooting!
Old July 21, 2010, 08:01 AM   #15
gregjc9

I too make my kids double up on the ear protection, the soft rubber mushroom style plugs and ear muffs. If they dont hear me, they are always within arms reach, but that's never been an issue.

Greg
Old July 21, 2010, 11:25 AM   #16
longranger

Quote:
Thanks, everyone- they're 7 & 10- I don't know as muffs will be the way to go- but I'm going to try a couple of different plugs and see which they can hear me best with. We'll aslo be startin' em out with 22's....
Fitted ear plugs are expensive and your kids are growing,they last about as long as a pair of their shoes.My kids and grand kids never liked anything poked into their ears.They liked dads and granpa's electronic muff's.
Muff type with rifles will mess cheek weld for some shooters,no perfect answer,let them find what works for them.None of my kids younger than 12 liked any of the stuff poked in thier ears and would have them in wrong or not at all.The ones they will wear are the right ones.
Old July 21, 2010, 04:39 PM   #17
mete

Sadly the habit of listening to very loud music is common and most kids by the time they are 18 have lost a significant part of their hearing !! Try to address that along with gun and other sounds.
Old July 22, 2010, 07:14 PM   #18
Bentonville

http://www.proears.com/store/p/157--...Ultra-33-.aspx

These are some of the best muffs on the market. They are leather and good quality. 33NRR is the highest muff I have found. I want the Pro Ears active eletronic muffs. Always use plugs and muffs together. Teach them the right way early on. Good Luck