The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 01:57 PM   #26
Tangentabacus

This thread is full of lols.

Although, kodiakbeer is very right. Bear attacks are sparse and rare. I have been within rock throwing distance of bears more times than I can count. Only twice out of those many many times did I ever feel threatened, but I am still alive and I have yet to have to shoot one.

Not to mention, like I said a simple shot in the air will make most bears crap their... fur? I was gona say pants, but they don't usually wear those.

To kind of throw in my own bit of silly... I feel that if you ever have to use a gun while camping it most likely won't be because you need to shoot a bear. Either way, it's just a good idea to carry one while camping. Not to mention, one of the best things to do while camping is target shooting.

I am going to get out of this thread before I have to go buy myself some hip waders.

Good luck camping, and be safe with them bears.

Oh, by the way... Since most of us have missed what you originally said. Cheap ammo that has lacquer on it is a bad idea in an AR unless you can do some serious cleaning. It can cause misfires and such. Not that I have ever fired them myself, but after some research I found online that most people don't report massive problems, just inconvenient jams and misfires. Some people mention that the gun tries to load 2 shells sometimes because the lacquer on the cheap Russian ammo keeps the first shell from ejecting and forces the second shell into the already jammed chamber. On a rare occaision the moons align and it can fire this second round with the other shell in the chamber, according to some. I don't see how that's possible.

Personally, I say that so long as you take good care of your AR and clean it pretty good after you shoot the lacquered ammo then you should be A-okay.

Last edited by Tangentabacus; May 25, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:58 PM   #27
rickyrick

I think he was asking about the varnish on the russian ammo gunkin' up his chamber.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:58 PM   #28
TRguy

crghss - South Florida huh?

You carry a AR for black panthers when you go to Publix? Is it loaded with 20 or 30 rds of ammo? 55gr or 75gr Hornady TAP? You probably should carry the AR to protect you and yours from the ferocious cockroaches you have in that State.

In deadliest warrior who would win between a FL alligator and a AK grizz?
Old May 25, 2010, 02:05 PM   #29
DanThaMan1776

even I got knocked off course. Please.. as interesting as it is to debate what gun is best for bears, let's focus on the question.

WILL SHOOTING WOLF AMMO ALL DAY CAUSE MY HORNADY BRASS AMMO TO JAM UP IF (GOD FORBID) i NEED TO USE IT?
Old May 25, 2010, 02:07 PM   #30
Tangentabacus

Quote:
Cheap ammo that has lacquer on it is a bad idea in an AR unless you can do some serious cleaning. It can cause misfires and such. Not that I have ever fired them myself, but after some research I found online that most people don't report massive problems, just inconvenient jams and misfires. Some people mention that the gun tries to load 2 shells sometimes because the lacquer on the cheap Russian ammo keeps the first shell from ejecting and forces the second shell into the already jammed chamber. On a rare occaision the moons align and it can fire this second round with the other shell in the chamber, according to some. I don't see how that's possible.

Personally, I say that so long as you take good care of your AR and clean it pretty good after you shoot the lacquered ammo then you should be A-okay.
That is the information you are looking from us. Hope you came to a decision on what ya are going to do!
Old May 25, 2010, 02:17 PM   #31
crghss

Yes we have bears. We have panthers, boars, sharks more then a few poisons snakes and of course lightning, which kills more people then wild animals. Gators are harmless but we do have Crocodiles.

But whats your point?

I've been diving with sharks on the Great Barrier reef (thats in Australia), camping in the home of the Bali tiger (thats in Indonesia) and Flyfishing from the bottom of the Grand Canyon to the Kenai peninsula (hope you know where these places are). The only weapon I carried was my brain.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:23 PM   #32
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
TR , you are absolutely right ! I shouldn't have posted in this thread . I just don't suffer fools well . Please accept my apologies !! Now what is your problem Vermont , I probably have the same problem !
Old May 25, 2010, 02:27 PM   #33
crghss

Sorry DanThaMan1776...

The Wolf ammo I've shot doesn't seem to be noticeably more dirty then say Remington green box or Winchester white box. But being an autoloader I would clean the weapon after firing. I am bias since I can't help myself in this regard. I always clean my guns after firing. Even if I'm headed back to the range the next day.

I bought Wolf ammo and was very suspect of it because of things I'd read. Paid close attention to my 1911 while shooting (+200 rds) but noticed no ill effects from using it.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:27 PM   #34
TRguy

Quote:
TR , you are absolutely right ! I shouldn't have posted in this thread . I just don't suffer fools well . Please accept my apologies !! Now what is your problem Vermont , I probably have the same problem !
A bit incoherent, but I laughed. Glad you damn Yankees have a sense of humor.

Last edited by TRguy; May 25, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 03:12 PM   #35
Willie D

Quote:
WILL SHOOTING WOLF AMMO ALL DAY CAUSE MY HORNADY BRASS AMMO TO JAM UP IF (GOD FORBID) i NEED TO USE IT?

Wolf (Black Box) switched to a polymer coating and doesn't use laquer anymore so you shouldn't have to worry about your AR's chamber becoming "sticky or gluelike" as the laquer coated stuff can sometimes cause.

That said, Wolf is filthy and shooting 300 rds of Wolf is probably the equivalengt of shooing 600rds of good ammo, grime wise.

Shoot, clean, don't worry too much.
Old May 25, 2010, 03:35 PM   #36
James R. Burke

I know you said you dont have the time to test it, but before I really want to know how it will work in my rifle, and accuracy etc. I try it. Sorry I can not me no more help than that.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:40 PM   #37
johnwilliamson062

Fairly certain old production wolf is worse than new.
THere was a batch of surplus X39 with really brittle brass. People would shoot the lacquer wolf out of a rifle, then the brittle brass surpluss and it would stick. The brass would crack instead of extracting. THis seems to be where most of the wolf reputation comes from.

I would be more worried about the effect of the steel case on other parts of your AR(extractor and such).
Old May 25, 2010, 04:46 PM   #38
azredhawk44

Quote:
Yes.

Brass grabs filth in the chamber as it expands. That's why brass is dirty upon ejection from your rifle, even before it hits the ground.

If you shoot brass in a chamber that has previously shot Wolf, then allowed to cool and bond in the chamber, you are VERY likely to have a stuck case when shooting a brass round.

There. Question answered.

Load up the 9mm with 147gr FMJ and sleep soundly. It's the best gun you have, aside from the 12ga single shot.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:45 PM   #39
Kmar40

Regardless of tone of the response, I can't imagine an knowledgeable person even the biggest AR fanboy from suggesting that a 223 AR is an appropriate rifle for bear. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Hard to take this TR guy seriously.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:58 PM   #40
Tangentabacus

Quote:
Being that I have had bad luck with one shot kills lately......

I would send your camping buddy to start imediate diplomatic negotiations with the bear, form a special commitee, allow known bears through security but stop ederly goats....... for futher screening of course, especially if they have shampoo..... and, oh yeah, cut your ammo budget in half.....

I think the bear won't bother you if he's getting free health care....thats what I heard..
Ricky, I know I wasn't going to keep talking on this thread... But, I just wanted to tell you that you just made me laugh.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:04 PM   #41
crghss

Ricky, that was too funny.........

.......and a little sad at the same time.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:28 PM   #42
pvt.Long

I have a S&W ar15 and I havent had any trouble at all out of makeing the transition from dirty steel ammo to cleaner brass.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:29 PM   #43
alaskaman94

Quote:
Last summer traveling to Alaska it seemed to me I saw more locals with ARs in case or Grizzly than any other firearm. Seems the locals would know more that those traveling through.

An AR with 20 or 30 in the mag will stop any bear. I would think all shots would be close range or it wouldn't be an emergency. Maximum velocity, bullet penetration and wound cavitation would be expected at such close distances.

BULL. im one of those locals and yea you may have seen me with my AR but it was chambered in 450 bushmaster. [DELETED] sure u can kill a bear with a 223 on the hunt (dumb) but theres no way when that bear is full of adrenaline. where in the 907 where you when you say all these locals with 223's are? id realy like to know.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:00 PM   #44
alaskaman94

this all makes me lol. speaking for ALASKA;
Quote:
The odds of shooting yourself in the foot while sleeping with your AR is much higher than the odds of a black bear attacking you in your tent.
i shot 2 from the tent in unit 16 last year. both were agresive. next, i cary on the russian all the time.. and im dang glad i do.. i keep a running total have seen 47 bears fishing there in the last 3 years... thats ALOT. there not scared of poeple and sombodys gona get eaten there soon. spend a few weeks every summer there and you would see why all the locals carry. great fishing there to btw, a 223 may kill a bear but NOT with any consistency. now lets quit acting like 3rd graders!
Old May 25, 2010, 09:14 PM   #45
Fat White Boy

Remember- you don't have to out run the bear. You only have to out run your buddy....
Old May 25, 2010, 09:58 PM   #46
TRguy

I flew into Bethel at the end of June last summer for a two weeks.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:18 PM   #47
Nite Ryder

Going Camping...Ammo question

Well the OP is probably up in Alaska camping by now. Wonder what his thoughts are? I have a close friend who lived for some time in Alaska, and he still visits there often to hunt with his friends. He told me a story about his latest hunt, and backed it up with photos. He was walking up the trail and almost to their destination when a Grizzly came charging down the trail headed toward him. It was so close that he jumped to his right and fired his gun as the bear passed him. He didn't have time to do anything but pull back the hammer on his rifle (a lever action 45-70) and point it to his left at the bear and pull the trigger. His shot killed the bear, but the jump or fall to his right broke some bones in his arm. The bear crashed into the brush on the side of the trail about 10 yards behind him. I don't remember where the shot hit the bear, but he said if the shot wouldn't have been fatal, he wouldn't have been able to shoot again. He said the charge happened so quickly he didn't have to to even think what he was doing, he just tried to get out of the way. So, my thought is anyone that travels to Alaska and is camping out in bear country is very foolish if they use a tent. They are even more foolish if they go under-gunned. I think experience is a big teacher, but sometimes getting the right experience can get you killed. I have a photo of a man partially eaten by a bear, wouldn't want to be in his tennis shoes.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:29 PM   #48
DanThaMan1776

hahaha i'm glad someone pointed out I only have to outrun my buddy! Only problem is my buddy is a track and field prodigy and wouldn't just outrun me, he'd make it back to IL before the bear picked his teeth clean of me. I am starting to feel silly for bringing an AR into bear country...
Old May 25, 2010, 10:49 PM   #49
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

ENOUGH.

Looks as if the original question has been answered, so the thread is being closed. There seem to have been enough personal insults to last everyone for a long time, too.

There were 60 posts in the thread before I started culling out the non-contributory and insulting ones. If you had one deleted, there's a reason why . . .
Closed Thread

Tags
brass , hornady , river , rock , wolf