The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 5, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Soundtrackzz

my leather is very squeaky

Hey guys. i just bought a holster and cartridge belt for my ruger blackhawk. Not exactly for cowboy action shooting but just because i wanted it. It came in the mail today and everything is very squeaky. im assuming this is just a result of it all being new. but is there anything i can do to make it stop?

Thanks
Old August 5, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
LHB1

The late Lou Alessi recommended rubbing the leather lightly with any of the following to eliminate holster/leather squeak:
- white candle wax
- neutral shoe wax
- powder.
Old August 5, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Hawg

The best thing to do is wear it. It'll quit when it gets broke in.
Old August 5, 2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Dragon55

Like Hawg just break it in but..... if it really bothers you baby powders. And you'll smell nice too
Old August 6, 2009, 01:43 AM   #5
Model-P

Shoe wax/polish will make it even more squeaky

The old timers used to apply many coats of Neatsfoot oil, but it would oil-stain the clothing and the leather would get too soft.....by today's standards Now it is said Neatsfoot oil (or any other oil) attracts dirt which will cut the leather fibers and reduce the life of the leather. Funny, but in the old days they said Neatsfoot oil prolonged the life of the leather. Dunno

Lexol is pretty good.

Wear it around the house until it is broken in.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

First thing I do with any new leather holster I intend to use, is drop it in a boiling pan of water for 2 or 3 minutes. Then I Vasoline the gun I intend to carry in it, and put it in the holster, and let it air dry. This takes the slack out of the holster, and kind of custom fits it to the gun.
I then take the holster and give a good dose of plain old saddle soap that I use on the saddles for my horses. This gives the leather a good water resistant quality, and will take any squeak out of the leather.
I'm sure that boiling leather probably isn't real good for it, but with proper care ( and having good leather in the holster to start with) , they will last for 20 or so years.

P.S. Be sure to clean the gun and re-oil afterwards.
Old August 6, 2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Noz

I've seen a couple of holsters badly damaged by DIPPING in boiling water.

I moisten mine in warm water to shape. I put the gun in a bread wrapper to protect it from the wet while the leather dries.
Old August 6, 2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Hawg

I don't think I'd want to put any leather in boiling water. You can reform good vegetable tanned leather by dipping in water and letting it dry with the saran wrapped gun in place. I don't think you're going to have much luck trying to reform cheap chrome tanned leather.