The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
CoyoteHunter

Need a little help in starting reloading.

Hi
I'm wanting to start reloading and don't have alot of space and was woundering about the LEE Hand press i'm looking to keep the setup small so I can keep it in a breefcase and take it to the range and work up loads there also.I'm only going to load 22 hornet / 22-250 and 44 magnum those are the only centerfires I have left :barf:after my devorce

All sugestions will be helpful.

Joe
Old April 30, 2009, 12:00 PM   #2
tiberius10721

you can reload without taking a lot of space!right now I dont have my garage setup for reloading cause I just moved .So believe it or not I have my lee turret press bolted down to my cheap computer desk.my loads turn out just as good as when it was bolted down to my counter top in my old garage.I just have to be careful on how hard I pull the handle and I have to help guide the shell casing into the dies with my fingers.takes a little longer but still works.If I were you I would start out with a lee turret press.they are well made ,cheap,and their instructions are easy to read and follow!
Old May 1, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
dmazur

Check this out -

Hood press

This looks like what you want, but it is rather expensive. It has the leverage required for reloading, yet it folds up to fit in a toolbox (or briefcase.)

The cartridges you listed are all within its capacity, but long action cartridges (such as .30-06) won't fit inside its "frame". The dies would fit, but the brass won't fit under the die.

You should be aware that setting up your powder measure might be a little tricky if your range is windy...most scales don't like wind at all. However, you should be able to devise some kind of clear wind cover that would permit a reading on a digital scale with the cover in place.

I've heard of benchrest shooters doing this, so they can really chase the load development in "real time".

I'm kind of excited at the possibility of doing this myself, but I have to find a press that handles .30-06...
Old May 1, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Teuthis

I suggest something like a Redding Boss and perhaps one of the light, portable stands for it. I have the Frankford Arsenal model; and it is not only portable but it is quite stable for all loading functions. I have the Boss and my powder measure mounted on the top plate. Something like The Boss is small and portable, but strong enough to load most calibers. I have one now because of limited space and it works as well as my larger RCBS press. I am not intimately familiar with all the brands, but I imagine any of them will work well for you.

I have never been convinced that working up loads at the range is all that good an idea. For accuracy with your scale you need a quiet place with no wind. I've tried to load out on my patio and have experienced difficulty with accuracy from the scale, even in the lightest breezes. I may do some steps outside but I weigh my charges where there is no wind.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:04 PM   #5
vranasaurus

I don't think reloading at the range is a very good idea.

You need to be able to concentrate on what you are doing and most of the time a range is a poor place to give all your attention to reloading.

Not to mention that it isn't like you can't just whip up a few rounds in a little time. It takes time to change dies, measure powder, lube cases, etc... You don't want to spend your range time reloading. It will eat up your range time.

And as mentioned above scales and wind don't mix. I have to turn off the a/c vent in my man cave when I want to weigh powder charges.

You need to load all your rounds prior to going to the range.

As to the handpress it will work fine. I started reloading 45 acp and 44 mag on a handpress. I will tell you that if you get into reloading you will soon make room for a bench mounted press as they are easier to use. But to get started a handpress will work fine.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Mark whiz

I agree that the handpress will work fine for those rounds you mention. You could also, for about the same amount of $$, is get you something like a cheap Lee Challenger press, mount it to a 2X4 and just clamp that to a desk or table top when you want to load................ did this for quite awhile myself....................and I STILL use the Frankfort Arsenal portable reloading table with my heavy press mounted on it cause I still don't have a "permanent" reloading area yet.

I agree with the other's advice about not loading at the range - kinda counterproductive, at least for me. Part of reloading is the thinking that goes into it - and I think planning what loads you want to try and WHY you want to try them in advance, solves a lot of issues that will never happen at the range.

If you can find a reloading setup that fits in a briefcase - I wanna see it...................right now my stuff FILLS a closet when not in use and I still have "run-off" materials in storage.
!
Old May 2, 2009, 12:55 AM   #7
bhawkeye

Do some research (reading) - and get a real press. If you are serious about reloading, you will not be happy with a hand loader.

If you aren't, don't bother trying. Reloading is not hard, but it takes patience, attention to detail, and the willingness to do your homework.

If you are lacking any of these - skip it & buy your factory loads - you'll be much safer.
Old May 2, 2009, 01:29 AM   #8
Hook686

The Lee Hand Press with .357 magnum and .44 magnum carbide speed dies was my only press at one time. Space was at a premium and the Hand Press, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, a cheap digital caliper, an old balance beam scale and a Lyman Tong Tool priming tool was my reload kit. I figure it was all under a hundred bucks and fit in one plastic storeage box. I cranked out about 50 rounds per hour.

Today I have the Lee Classic Turret Press. However, that Lee Hand Press still makes an occasional trip to the range with me. I find it a nice tool.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 2, 2009, 02:43 PM   #9
dmazur

I found a photo that showed another shooter's "range reloading setup". It looked like a piece of plywood attached to a B&D Workmate, with a conventional single-stage press and powder measure attached to it. The top was attached far enough back from the front edge of the Workmate that operating the press didn't tip it over. The shooter said that he took care of wind issues by weighing charges inside the back of his SUV, with a digital scale.

He also claimed he could do the same amount of development work in one afternoon (by reloading at the range) that he would get in a month of reloading / driving back and forth.

What I'm getting out of this is, if you are an experienced reloader, you can probably devise a field setup and work within its limitations. I'm not so sure I'd recommend it for a beginner.

In fact, the more I read about the hassles of trying to to this at the range, I'm not so sure I want to do it myself any more.
Old May 2, 2009, 04:27 PM   #10
David Wile

Hey folks,

People have been reloading cartridges at the range or out in the field since people have been using cartridges. People have also been casting their bullets in the field even before they started using cartridges. Check the Ideal/Lyman 310 Nutcracker hand tool that has been around in various incarnations since cartridges were first used. Some of the old Ideal tools served to cast bullets as well as to size, deprime, reprime, and then load those cast bullets in their spent cases. They did not use a scale in the field; they used measures that were previously calibrated on a scale for given charges they were reloading. Sure they first started with black powder, but they also continued using measures after smokeless powders were introduced. As long as you are not going for hot loads, measures can do a very good job for field loading in a safe manner. Are measures as accurate as a scale? No, of course not. They can, however, produce some very good results which may be more than satisfactory for one's needs.

There are times that I like to take my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy out to the range and also take my Lyman 310 Nutcracker along to reload the cartridges I shoot. If nothing else, it gets a lot of attention if other folks are there. I can shoot five or ten cartridges and then reload them right then, right there, on the spot. I can easily fit all my reloading kit for the 45-70 in a small briefcase. The 310 tool does not take much space at all. What takes the space is a pack or two of primers, a box of bullets, a lube pad and lube, a few rags, a can of powder, some measures, and a cup sized container in which you can put the powder to be dipped with your measures. Actually, I would bet that I could probably fit all of that stuff in a 30 cal. ammo can rather than a brief case.

It is making the most accurate ammo possible? No. It is, however, a fun afternoon every now and then. While the Nutcracker only necksizes the cases, one can actually reload ammo without having a bench mounted press. Do I want to reload without a press? Not a chance. The hand tool is just an occasional fling for me, but it can serve to do the real deal if that is all you had to rely upon.

Don't tell me about the Lee Loaders. I tried one of those about fifty years ago, loaded one box of ammo, and promptly decided I would buy a press. I am willing to use the Nutcracker hand tool, but I draw the line at a Lee Loader.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old May 4, 2009, 10:39 AM   #11
harry carey

i thought Hood was not making this press anymore??? Harrell is ??? or are they both making it ?
Old May 4, 2009, 05:41 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

Small package reloading

I have seen an old man at the local range that reloads 30-06 with a Lee Classic loader. It is manual, requires a mallet, and a block of wood. It uses a scoop measure. It can fit in a shirt pocket. It cost under $35 I believe. He carries a bit of powder in an old prescription bottle wich has a wide enough mouth to get the measure in with out a lot of spillage and the wind will not cary it away. he carries it in a small plastic tool box, and has a lot of room left inside of it. I have seen him relaod 10 rounds in less than 10 minutes. Mind you he has been doing so for many years. He says it is the only way he relaods, and he keeps a supply of new brass incase he splits one or two.