The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2008, 07:20 PM   #1
ZX10Aviator

Kempf lee turret kit ?'s (pro auto disc) .223

Trying to get setup, ordered the kit with the .223 dies, upgraded. The Lee pro auto disc powder measuring system makes no sense to me yet, Im hoping I can get some help. For the 1.62cc's (20.5grains of IMS 4198 powder I will be using) it says the two discs to use, the kit didnt come with the dual disc kit. I dont see any of the discs with one hole big enough to do it, and it doesnt say how to do it with one disc....

I figured this would be a complete kit from kempf, has anyone else ordered it and used it? Whats the secret? Double charge it with a smaller charge twice?

Im confused and I hope someone is doing this and can help.

Thank you very much.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:04 PM   #2
D. Manley

The "Double-Disk Kit" is a separate purchase and is not included. Its merely 2 auto-disks (stackable) and longer screws. They also have a "Micro-Disk" for very small charges and an adjustable charge bar available for separate purchase.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:14 PM   #3
CrustyFN

I'm not comfortable charging twice with a smaller disk. The best way is to buy the double disk kit. When you use two different size cavities make sure the smaller hole is on top.
Rusty
Old November 28, 2008, 09:19 PM   #4
ZX10Aviator

I know what the double disc kit is, Im trying to figure out why they sell you a kit that wont load what they say it will? I guess Ill have to call them and see if they can explain why the .223 kit isnt setup to reload .223.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
fourrobert13

The kit is capable of loading 223 with the supplied disk. It depends on what powder you use. You usually need the double disk kit for extruded powders, but ball powders seem to be what the kit is catered too.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:31 PM   #6
ZX10Aviator

oh? I wish I could find someone that has done it to explain how..
Old November 29, 2008, 12:51 PM   #7
fourrobert13

Quote:
oh? I wish I could find someone that has done it to explain how..
Explain what? If you read the instructions that came with your autodisk, it will tell you what you need to do. If you look at the powder chart, it will tell you what disk will dump the appropriate charge. I have no problems using H335 or TAC with the supplied disk. As I said before, the kit is catered to ball powder. When you start using extruded powders like Varget, you will need the double disk kit. Your instructions will explain to you what 2 disk to put together to get your desired charge. It's not that complicated.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:06 PM   #8
ZX10Aviator

Quote:
For the 1.62cc's (20.5grains of IMS 4198 powder I will be using)
what disc do I use? If you can show me how the formula works itll make sense to me, thats all Im trying to figure out.

Thank you. I appreciate the patience.

**trying to understand it.. on the IMR 4198 line, all the way to the end is 19.8 grains? So if I wanted to go with that amount, Id go up and use the 1.57 disc?**
Old November 29, 2008, 06:20 PM   #9
fourrobert13

IMR 4198 is an extruded powder. You will need the double disk kit. The last page of your instructions at the bottom will tell which to disk to put together to get the volume you want. According to the instructions, and the supplied disk, even with the largest disk, you will not be able to reach the charge you are wanting. 1.57 disk is the largest you have and according to your instructions, it will drop a charge around 19.8 gr of powder. You can either add one of you current disk to up the charge, or buy the double disk kit and put together disk 1.02 and disk .61 to reach the cc volume you mentioned. It is all in the instructions that came with the auto disk. The instructions even tell you which disk goes on top and bottom. I hope this helps you out, or explains it a bit better.

ETA: here is a link to Lee's online instructions http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/AD2302.pdf.

Also in reference to your question about disk 1.57, that is correct it will drop 19.8 gr and if that is the charge you want, then use that disk. I will tell you this much, the disk are close to the chatge listed in the instructions. That 19.8 may actually be 19.5 to 19.9gr. I have been using this system for years now, and even with pistol, I find I have to use one or more higher volume disk slot to achieve the charge I want.

Last edited by fourrobert13; November 29, 2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old November 29, 2008, 06:50 PM   #10
ZX10Aviator

Excellent, Im getting it now, thanks so much. I ordered a dual disc kit the other day. Im getting there!

Thank you!
Old December 1, 2008, 02:03 PM   #11
ZX10Aviator

Ok, loaded my first 10, what I had to do was split the operation, did them up to adding powder, (used one disc), then switched to the second disc, and more powder then finish the operation.

Shot them, worked well, looking forward to the DDK to do it in one step though.

Thank you for the help all! Now that it makes sense Im a happy camper!
Old December 2, 2008, 02:34 PM   #12
ForneyRider

I didn't have much luck with IMR powders and the Lee Auto Disk. A short cut (IMR SSC, RE powder, etc.) powder or a ball powder work great.

Depending on powder and charge, a single disk may suffice, however I purchased the double-disk and adjustable charge bar. I liked the double disk quite well, but tried to stick with single disk when possible.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:01 PM   #13
ZX10Aviator

Yeah, well, I went from a buddies manual when getting the supplies, knowing what I know now Id probably go a different powder, but, if it works, it will work, so far its worked out great. My DDK should be here friday.