The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1
cabbit10

Adding Surefire M70 Fore End to Mossberg 590A1

I'm looking to replace the stock foreend on my 590A1 with a surefire M70, however I'm having a devil of a time.

First, the fore-end arrived with none of the tools the manual said it was supposed to come with.

Second, the magazine tube seems to be in there real tight and I'm afraid of twisting it too hard.

Third, I tried using a screw driver to move the fore end retention ring/nut but it kept slipping and scratching the surface.

Anyone have any advice on how to get this thing changed?

Yes, I am a mechanical idiot...
Old August 14, 2006, 10:56 AM   #2
cloudcroft

Then take it to a gunsmith and let him do it. Don't risk messing up your gun by doing it yourself.

You DO need a certain skill level and if you don't have it, get someone else to do it.

-- John D.
Old August 14, 2006, 11:31 AM   #3
cabbit10

I think I'll do just that.

Thanks.
Old August 14, 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
earlsimmons

You don't need to remove the magazine tube; you only need to slide the fore-end off the action slide assembly tube (after removing the nut from the end). If you've got a set of allen wrenches, one of them will probably fit the notches in the nut (when placed lengthwise across the nut) well enough to allow you to unscrew/rescrew it easily. The Surefire fore-end fits tightly on the action slide assembly tube so you might need to whack it on with something soft (like a rubber mallet or piece of wood). If you ever do need to remove the magazine tube from the receiver for some reason, I recommend unscrewing it with a strap wrench because they are usually secured with Loctite (or some other adhesive).
Old August 14, 2006, 04:28 PM   #5
cloudcroft

I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the magazine tube with ANYthing without heating the threaded part (going into the receiver) of said tube first in order to soften the epoxy or [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] they use.

Otherwise, you stand a REAL good chance fo bending/twisting the mag tube big-time...and will have to order another one.

After I took mine off, I cleaned the threads of all that glue and did NOT reapply it...I wanted to be able to remove the tube for cleaning whenever I wanted and it stays on there just fine with no epoxy or whatever.

-- John D.