The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 4, 2002, 09:05 PM   #1
geo57

need advice on garand ammo

as im nearing the purchase of an M-1 garand, i would appreciate feedback from garand owners and shooters on what new factory ammo you would reccomend that will not damage my rifle ( op rod) in any way. i know enough to stay clear of the newer " light magnum" offerings. thanks
Old November 4, 2002, 09:19 PM   #2
cookhj

anything short of the light magnums will work fine. the garand is a very strong rifle and will hold up to any "modern" factory loads. i have shot plenty of remington 150 and 180 gr soft points through mine, and she ate them just fine.
Old November 4, 2002, 09:20 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

For new ammo, I'd suggest the "military" bulk pack type ammo sold by Remington UMC, Winchester or Federal.
Stick with 150 grain ammo, which is what the M1 was intended for. The heavier 180 grain ammo or ammo loaded with powders different than GI type ammo, can bend the op rod.

Most people who have problems with M1's and ammo, are usually using some kind of cheap or foreign surplus ammo of unknown type.

Of course, the ideal ammo is some genuine GI M2 ball ammo. This may still be available from the CMP.

GREASE your M1, oil alone won't do.
Old November 4, 2002, 10:09 PM   #4
Jimmy Mac

The Danish ball is very good ammo. It is as good or better than any Remington or US made ammo.

It is also cheaper and comes on Garand clips in bandoleers.

Avoid the Korean ball on the market now. It does not work so well in most Garands.
Old November 5, 2002, 08:05 AM   #5
Jack19

Check with AIM Surplus, Ammoman, and SOG, I'm a Mauser 8mm guy, but I think I saw some decent prices on 30.06.
Old November 5, 2002, 08:26 AM   #6
foghornl

I just took a look at Southern Ohio Gun website; they have the Danish .30-06 ammo loaded into the en-bloc clips and clips in bandoliers, priced @ $169 for case of 624 rounds. (48 rounds per bandolier, 13 bandoliers per case).

This ammo is as close to the original Ball M2 formula as you will find, short of "roll your own".
Old November 6, 2002, 01:08 AM   #7
hagar

Another vote for the Danish. Comes in clips, and shoots extremely well in my Garands. Not reloadable, but sell the bandoliers and clips, and buy some more!
Old November 6, 2002, 12:03 PM   #8
cheygriz

I would avoid the American made commercial hunting ammo like the plague. The manufacturers use slow burning powders to maximize velocity.

No powder slower than 4320 should be used in a Garand. 4895 is even better. Most commercial hunting ammo is loaded with powder similar to 4350. That is too slow for the Garand.

The Garand action is indeed strong, and there is no safety concern, but the slow powder allows the pressure to be too high when the bullet passes over the gas port, causing a too violent operation of the action, and possibly damhging the operating rod.

Stick to military ammo, or handloads with fast burning powder,
Old November 6, 2002, 01:34 PM   #9
art g
Registration in progress

Unless you are shooting M2 ball or the commercial equivalent such as PMC, I would suggest using this...
http://www.mccann.shop-utopia.com/scope/parts.html
Old November 6, 2002, 09:19 PM   #10
nandoaqui

TRY THIS:

My post of 10/31/02:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Did a web search and found a competitive source: J&G Sales (www.jgsales.com).

Danish (80's and 90's mgf) 30.06 (150 gr) in Garand clips, 48 rd/bandolier.

Just ordered 10 bandoliers (480 rd total) @ 11.99 each band.

Their Prices:
1 - 9 @ $12.95/band
10 - 25 @ $11.99/band
26 or more @ $11.69/band

Not too bad, I think..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received today, 11/06/02 -

Beautiful '91 stamped ammo, in Garand clips, brand new bandoliers. Haven't tried the ammo yet, but from what I have read, it will be fine.

Caveat: Shipping can be expensive, but still a good deal overall.

Alex
Old November 6, 2002, 09:45 PM   #11
WYO

Today, I received a 624 round case of Danish from CMP, prepacked in the clips and bandoliers. The materials inside the crate indicated that it was 1989 stuff. It was in beautiful shape. $172 including shipping to my door. I can't wait to try it out, and I wish I had enough money to buy some more before it runs out.
Old November 6, 2002, 11:55 PM   #12
SteelyDan

Following up on cheygriz's comment about avoiding modern hunting ammo in Garands, I'm curious if the reverse is true. Are there any red or yellow flags raised by using military loads in a modern hunting rifle? I'm just talking about target practice, not for hunting.
Old November 7, 2002, 10:27 PM   #13
cheygriz

SteelyDan,

It is perfectly okay to use military .30-06 and military .7.62X51 NATO in commercial rifles.

Military 5.56X45 should not be used in commercial rifles. Milspec 5.56 chambers have a longer leade than SAAMI spec .223 chambers. The military ammo could cause an overpressure situation in a SAAMI chamber.
Old November 8, 2002, 08:47 AM   #14
geo57

cheygriz, you mentioned powders used in commercial hunting ammo...would the white box fmj ammo from win. and federal also use slow powders or would these be loaded with the more desirable faster, mil type powder? i realize this stuff is more expensive. on the other hand a person shooting it knows its quality ammo and a source that wont dry up.
Old November 8, 2002, 12:27 PM   #15
cheygriz

Geo 57,

I am afraid you've got me on this one, my friend. Since W-W white box and the equivalent Rem. and Fed. pistols rounds are similar to their military ball ammo, I would assume that their generic rifle ball ammo is also.

However, before I shot any of it in my Garand, I think that I would E-mail them and ask.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer, but I just honestly don't know.

chey
Old November 8, 2002, 04:39 PM   #16
geo57

chey..no problem. i appreciate your honesty, thanks
Old November 8, 2002, 05:01 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Have to agree with cheygriz regarding ammo. It should be within mil-spec. Too hot and it'll cause the action to unlock too fast and pound the receiver. Parts wear accelerate and with long term use of ammo over mil-spec pressures, you run the risk of ruining the receiver.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:33 PM   #18
StarfuryZeta

re: Korean M2

Jimmy Mac,
What is wrong with the Korean PMC M2 that is out now? It seems to be priced right for economical shooting (and the boxed format makes it local indoor range friendly).