The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 29, 2016, 09:54 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
US has fielded steel-cased ammo in the past (1943 .45acp).
Yes, yes we did. Do note it was the same year we fielded the zinc/steel penny, and ONLY in .45acp. Even at the height of wartime shortages, we did NOT use steel cased rifle ammo (and as far as I know the steel .45acp stuff came only from one location EC 43), and we went back to brass the following year (44), when demand for ammo due to combat was actually greater.

I don't like steel cased ammo, and I don't buy steel cased ammo, other than some 7.62x54R surplus copper washed stuff that was so unreliable, I gave it away.

Steel cased ammo wasn't created simply as a lower cost alternative, it was created as a military expedient, that happened to cost less and worked well enough for military use, in the eyes of those nations that adopted it.

Personally, I happily pay more for brass cases that I can reload (boxer primed) or Berdan primed brass that has a higher scrap value than steel.

It MAY not be crap, but I don't see steel cased ammo in other than a few military calibers, and with my shooting habits, steel's cost advantage simply doesn't outweigh the disadvantages.
Old August 29, 2016, 10:35 AM   #27
Model12Win

Well the combloc auto pistols were designed for it, so my Makarovs shoot it a lot. In that caliber in those guns, it's every bit as reliable and accurate as brass cased stuff. That's probably not much of a surprise since these guns were specifically designed to run steel-cased ammo almost exclusively.
Old August 29, 2016, 01:06 PM   #28
dbldune

Not good for me

Used some steel cased 223 in y gas piston Stag #8. Had to have a gunsmith remove it. Never again!
Old August 29, 2016, 02:39 PM   #29
Erno86

If not stored properly...steel cased ammo will rust.

--- George Orwell
Old August 29, 2016, 03:27 PM   #30
Reloadron

Quote:
If not stored properly...steel cased ammo will rust.
Yes, and if not stored properly brass cased ammo will corrode.

So I guess what it comes down to is be it steel or brass cased all ammunition should be handled and stored properly. The brass cased ammunition above was not stored in a cool dry location, it got ugly.

Ron
Old August 29, 2016, 04:45 PM   #31
Gunplummer

I never heard of copper washed bullets because I don't buy scrap.
Old August 29, 2016, 04:45 PM   #32
JWT

Range I generally shoot at will not permit them to be used in their facility.
Old August 29, 2016, 04:55 PM   #33
Josh Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I never heard of copper washed bullets because I don't buy scrap.
You really choose to be ignorant, don't you? They say it's bliss. Whatever makes you happy.

Josh
Old August 29, 2016, 05:06 PM   #34
Rangerrich99

When I bought my first AR I also bought several hundred rounds of TulAmmo. After a little more than 200 rounds, the extractor pin snapped. Replaced that and about 300 rounds later a round didn't extract and my brand new factory extractor was slightly bent.

I gave away the rest of that ammo and haven't used steel cased since. Now, from everything I've read here on the forum and elsewhere, my gun should shoot steel cased just fine at this point. However, I've been reloading .223 rem for almost two years now, and haven't bought a single round of the stuff in over 18 months. So, I probably won't be buying any steel-cased any time soon.

As for does steel suck? Well, probably not, but having done several side-by-side comparos, none of it is anywhere close to the consistency and accuracy of the ammo I make myself, for essentially the same cost per round.

I will say that if I had a cheapo AR/.223 rem rifle that I just used to plink with, and if it would eat steel-cased I'd have no problem buying steel for it.
Old August 29, 2016, 05:26 PM   #35
CWKahrFan

I tried a few brands of Russian steel but couldn't get any decent accuracy so dropped it 'cause it wasn't much fun for me.
Old August 29, 2016, 06:16 PM   #36
iraiam

It depends, most of the steel cased ammo I have bought/shot was not high quality, it seems most was made to be cheap practice ammunition or for just plain bullet slinging. The steel is plenty soft enough not to wear parts in our arms. I think much improvement could be made if a company really wanted to make a steel cased quality round.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 29, 2016, 10:35 PM   #37
briandg

If you look at the accuracy reloading posts you will find that just about everything they do to attain better accuracy is a totally moot point with steel.

If it works for you it may not work for other rifles and you are, by definition, limited totally by whatever care is taken by the maker.

I once experimented with steel cases. Running a tapered punch into a case and hammering over and over, I never managed to make that case neck expand. doesn't sound like a great idea. If you get results, more power to you.

Tags
steel , tula , unreliable , wolf