The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 7, 2015, 09:37 PM   #26
buck460XVR

Sounds like a fun trip. There are several sources of information .....http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.home..... http://www.bwca.cc/activities/huntin...sehunting.html.....http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/canoeing/bwca/index.html.

Northern Minnesota(along with Wisconsin) hit the bottom of its ten year cycle of grouse populations in 2013-14. It peaked in 2009. Woodcock populations in both areas also continue to drop slightly just as in the past 20 years. Logging has been outlawed in the BWCA since Jimmy Carter, so finding areas of good grouse/timberdoodle cover means looking for areas where some natural cause opened up the cover for regrowth. There was several large areas of blow-down during 1999(4th of July derecho) that should be considered and the Pagami Creek fire in 2011 opened up about 150 square miles. There are several EPs close to the Pagami Creek area. The blow-downs were very extensive in the Arrowhead area. Woodcock hunting, unless the flight is on, will be primarily on native birds, If the flight is in(probably late October) it should be a pointing dog heaven. Remember, in Minnesota, they are considered migratory, but can be harvested with lead shot and do not require waterfowl stamps. Guns are restricted to three shells or less. I believe Minnesota has a blaze orange requirement for hunting small game. While the mosquitoes should be done with by the time good grouse and woodcock hunting is going on, bear ticks in the area are going to be thick. To deter the chances of contracting Lyme, repellent for both you and the dog should be brought.
Old March 7, 2015, 10:10 PM   #27
Vt.birdhunter

Fine intel there Buck460, much appreciated.
Old March 22, 2015, 06:50 PM   #28
Longshot4

With tandem canoes and 2 persons. If you use the J stroke you should be able to reduce the amount of water to accumulate in the bottom of the canoe. I have a floating case but it is loaded at the end. My partner also has a floating case but it zips up the full length witch is great when the case dose get wet you can dry it out more easily. Ware as I have to place mine on a boot dryer over night to get it dry. You can also avoid the water in the bottom by placing the guns in the boat after the deks... are in the canoe so the guns are off the bottom. Also I had put D-rings on the sides of the canoe but not too high and string loops on them so you can keep the cases up out of the water. Know how to break down and clean your shotgun when it gets wet. I like the spray from Beachwood that coats with a light waxy film. There are other types of coatings. A Rig Rag in a plastic bag works well also. My biggest concern would be with the choke tubes, trigger assembly and ejector. keep them clean and lubed. If you have a air compressor handy it can make cleaning a wet gun a snap. If you want to keep your shot gun in like new condition give up on hunting with it and leave it at home.
Old March 23, 2015, 01:06 PM   #29
buck460XVR

Quote:
If you have a air compressor handy it can make cleaning a wet gun a snap
I can see explaining that one to folks as you portage deep into the BWCA.......