The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 5, 2015, 09:13 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

anyone ever made or seen grip panels to convert a birdshead to convetional grip???

got a buddy that is interested in cowboy fast draw... in a hurry to buy something, he got a great deal; on an old Uberti nickel birdshead grip revolver... then in reading the rules, looks like birdshead grips are not allowed... he likes the birdshead grip... so...

he really doesn't want to switch grip frames... & is wondering if anyone has ever made or seen grips that would convert the birdshead grip frame into a tradition grip shape??? that he could easily put on, just to play the fast draw game

seems like it should be feasible... & he's not going to be competing much formally, so if it was something the local club would let him play with, just to get started, even if the official association wouldn't like them...

thoughts ???
Old March 6, 2015, 05:52 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

I've never seen any but it doesn't mean they don't exist. He might have to just make his own. If made in a traditional "plow handle" style (as in on the normal SAA) - I really don't know how comfortable they'd be as I'm thinking the BH frame is maybe more curved on the front of the frame? Might end up more like a "Bisley"?

I'm sure someone will come along that is familiar with the CAS rules and just what he could do to comply. As far as switching frames out - unless he can find a frame and parts to do it cheaply - he may be just better off finding a good used SAA that conforms to the rules. It would be a shame to have to "give up" the BH - especially if he likes it.

As an example - I purchased a new Uberti Bisley and it was around $500 - and a new steel frame Cattleman would probably be close to that. A brass frame Hombre though would be less - nothing wrong with them as they have a steel frame just a brass grip frame/trigger guard - and I believe they'd meet CAS rules but you'd have to check. Last year though, I passed by several good used Uberti SAA - both priced at or below $300. One was in 44 Spl. and the other in 45 Colt . . . and now i'm kicking myself I didn't pick up both of them.

Please post if you find something that will work with the BH frame - a good question and I would like to know the answer as well! Good luck to you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 9, 2015, 08:33 AM   #3
brazosdave

i think the Hombres meet SASS rules, but i think NCOWS doesn't allow them because of the matte finish. Then again, it ain't that hard to refinish a pistol, so that would prolly negate that argument.
Old March 9, 2015, 08:37 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

CFDA

http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/