The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 24, 2015, 04:14 PM   #1
ZVP

One I really like!

I've never been accused of being totally sane but I think I am on this one!
The more I shoot and admire the Piettia Police .36 caliber '62, the more I am falling for it!
OK, 6 shots, wonderfull, ya never know when you'll need the 6th.
The frame size, perfect for larger habds that do not fit a small .31 frame. Overall size is just about right, maybe you could do with a 4" bbl instead of a 5 1/2" It'd just make handling that much quicker!
Nevertheless, it'sjust about perfect for a beltgun! TheGrop could use a little trimming to fit the individual hand but mine has a thicker grip and seems to fit pretty good.
Powerwise it's a typical .36.
Not exactly historically correct but who cares it works great!
I think that maybe a larger front blade would pick-up quicker and clearer than the small stocker does. It'd also improve accuracy.
Mine holds a decent 2 1/2"2 7 yards very consistantlly, I'd like to see it print a little tighter but it's good rnough for the "Social Work" that it's meant for.
As a plinker, it's a blast! No respectable can is safe.
I have been reading up on the Gunfighter grip and I realize that I need to grip higher, just under the Hammer spur to improve steadiness and control the little recoil present. Groups ought to shrink a little if i learn this!
Way shorter than the '51 the Police draws faster,seems to be barrel heavy though and I contribute it to the massive casting containig the ratchet mechanism. A vast improvement for ball seating.
This revolver really has me intregued! I have to learn to shoot it well, just one of those things...
ZVP
Old January 24, 2015, 08:31 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Thanks for the review. I ordered one from the Black Friday sale Cabelas had last year. I didn't even shoot it, as soon as I got it, I turned around and shipped it to Goons gun works for him to work his magic. I can't wait to get it back and try it out.
Old January 24, 2015, 11:09 PM   #3
45 Dragoon

Wooo hooo , they're in the que Deerslayer303!!

(thanks for the mention!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old January 25, 2015, 07:29 AM   #4
brazosdave

I have 2 of em, love em!
Old January 25, 2015, 07:31 AM   #5
brazosdave

Here's one of em in the holsters i make for em
Old January 25, 2015, 02:01 PM   #6
deerslayer303

Very Nice holster Dave, I mean like really nice!! I mean like I want one.
Old January 26, 2015, 04:34 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

ZVP - If I'm not mistaken that is basically a '61 Navy with a shortened barrel isn't it? Same frame size as a '51 and '61?

They are nice pistols and I would think with that barrel length, a fairly easy carry was well.

I had a '62 Police Pocket at one time - 5 shot and smaller frame. A nice little revolver but I sold it as I just preferred a little larger frame and more "heft". The pistol you have looks like it has the best of everything - good weight and balance, good barrel length and I don't think you can beat a 36 caliber. In the past 50 years I've had two 44s (if I remember correctly) and still went back to the 36s as they are just fun and a hoot to shoot.

Great looking leather too! Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 26, 2015, 09:59 PM   #8
Bishop Creek

Quote:
I had a '62 Police Pocket at one time - 5 shot and smaller frame. A nice little revolver but I sold it as I just preferred a little larger frame and more "heft".
I have a second generation Colt Police 1862 .36 (made in 1982) and it is a blast to shoot!

Last edited by Bishop Creek; January 26, 2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old January 28, 2015, 12:12 AM   #9
Model12Win

I've been thinking of the Pocket Police or Pocket Navy as a CCW gun, with Ruger LCP as backup.

Five shots of .36 round ball in a compact package can solve a great many problem, and look good doin' it too!
Old February 24, 2015, 10:19 AM   #10
brazosdave

these pistols make excellent carry guns, and if you want to ensure total reliability, send it to 45 Dragoon at goonsgunworks.com and it will be as perfect as it could possibly be. I carry a 51 Navy snub he worked every day. It never malfunctions. Ever.
Old February 24, 2015, 04:14 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

how about a pic of that 51 navy snub... just recently bitten by the navy bug myself... with a pair of custom conversions
Old February 25, 2015, 08:28 AM   #12
rodwhaincamo

I'm more enamored with larger calibers, but I need a Pocket Police, which just seems right for a mid size caliber, and a '51 Navy just seems a must as well. Lower on the list but it is on it.

I, too, would love to see the cut down '51! One thing I love about a Colt, which is a quick change of the barrel gives you options.
Old February 28, 2015, 12:25 AM   #13
MattShlock

Fluted cylinders are pretty.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:06 AM   #14
brazosdave

Magnum Wheel Man, here's a pic of my snubbie
Old March 2, 2015, 08:15 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

Very nice... Love it... even has a set of Lightning grips

do you find it shoots to a different point of aim with that grip ??? I put a set of lightning grip frames on my pair of Montado's in 45 Colt, that I use for CAS... 1st time out on my practice targets, I missed more than I hit... needed to learn some new muscle memory for that grip profile

I just cut off a 31 cal. Pocket to about the same length barrel... one that was converted to 32 S&W, before I bought it... to use as a belly gun along with my converted Navies... I'll need to introduce that one to my camera, as I don't have any pics of it, since the barrel was shortened... but it's about the same length ( or at least profile ) as your Navy
Old March 4, 2015, 06:53 PM   #16
Bishop Creek

brazosdave,

Thinking about getting one of those snubbies, I see Dixie Gunworks has the one like yours and have seen another version with an 1860 barrel and fluted cylinder and shoulder stock cutout and screw (?) on the Midway site. I like the look of yours better. How do you like it?

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ducts_id=16530

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/197...ProductFinding