The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 1, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1
jd3020

Gun safe lights

Im not for sure where this thread should be started at but i figured its a general discussion on a gun safe and its firearms related so hopefully this wont get closed. Any ways I have had a smaller 23 cu. ft gun safe for a few years now that i bought when i started working for john deere. Yes it is a john deere safe but its made by liberty. I know liberty offers motion detected lights which i have in this safe but i will say they arent the best in the world. They are very nice becuase they come o n when you open the door. Now in the small safe they do seem to light up so you can at least see what your hunting for, but here about a month or two ago i came home with a brand new liberty (john deere) safe that is 64 cubic feet or 64 guns. Now this thing is a monster weighing around 900 lbs standing about 6 feet tall 30 inches deep and 48 inches wide (i cant remember the exact measurements but these are close). i decided to move my lights from one safe to the other and well those two little led jobbers from liberty just dont do it for me. So my question to you guys is do you have any suggestions on how to put a motion activated light in this beast of a safe. Im pretty sure im going to use rope light as it gives a nice brightness. any my safe does have a power outlet in it already. Im just not an electrical guy so i would like to not burn my safe down on the inside.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old April 1, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
SmokeyVol

I have LED Christmas lights in my 25 gun safe. A string of about 30 runs all around the inside face of the frame facing in and does the job pretty well. I have a small toggle switch mounted near the door and they are on the same extensionasion cord as my Goldenrod.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
rebs

you can get a decent rope light from walmart for about 12.00
Old April 1, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
FrosSsT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-WIRELESS-...ht_2566wt_1139

Even comes with a switch, problem solved.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
mitchntx

http://www.lowes.com/pd_147835-53058...led&facetInfo=

These are ~$8 each and work great in my safe. I have 1/2 dozen or more.
Same batteries for the last 9 months.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
PoorRichRichard

At Christmas time Target sells these little three packs of push button stick-on lights. Only 2 or 3 bucks a pack. Each light takes 3 AAA batteries. Also use them in my camper-bed shell of my F-150. Cheap, and no big deal if they get lost or broken.
Old April 2, 2012, 07:17 AM   #7
jd3020

i neer thought about christmas lights. i happen to have a couple of boxes of led that i bought a couple of years ago. after i posted this i had thought about a switch on the door. More or less like a switch for a fridge is what i would need. I just hate to go drilling into the fire profing and end up taking some of the protection away

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old April 3, 2012, 04:17 PM   #8
454me

I have 2 safes and mounted different light in each. In one I mounted this at the top. It has it's own switch and lights it up pretty good.

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...&storeId=10051

In the other on I mounted 5 halogen puck lights down one side. I have a switch at the bottom but am thinking about a motion switch so when I open the door it will come on. I would prefer to use led's but can't find any that put out enough light. They are too dim for that use.

http://community.webshots.com/user/454me