The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1
dnr1128

Coyote hunting

Anybody here do any coyote hunting? I live in south MS and right around the house there is an active pack of very large coyotes, including one the size of a GSD. Two of the main landowners have given me permission to hunt as much as I want on their property. In fact, one of them said that if I opt to use a call I should do so from the back of my truck, as they will come right up.

Any tips from hunters?
Old November 18, 2010, 08:49 PM   #2
b12alex

My advise be a good shot with your rifle or be very hidden. They pick up on any movement and can spot you from a long way off. Be a good shot because if you miss the first shot makeing a running shot can be tough. some times you can get them to stop but you might have to make a very long shot aswell. I have a .223 that i can hit a nickle at 200 yds. But the thoughs animals still look small at 600 yds. So if you can shoot, just hunt early morning and till last light. You will see them.
Old November 18, 2010, 08:57 PM   #3
SamC

Take a look here for lots of coyote hunting info.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...s.php?ubb=cfrm
Old November 18, 2010, 09:13 PM   #4
LanceOregon

Most effective technique is to use an electronic caller. It will make life much easier on you.

Even better is to combine a caller with a decoy as well.

Trying to pattern coyotes is quite difficult. It is best to lure them in with a call.

Old November 18, 2010, 11:48 PM   #5
lefteyedom

Feral dogs pack verse Coyotes

When I was a youngster in 1970s having to killing off packs of feral dogs in central Mississippi was regular thing.

With people dumping their unwanted puppies out "in the woods" and chicken houses dumping the knots and other other dead chickens "in the woods" larger packs were common. Facing down 5-15 dogs was not really fun.

Coyote hunting is fun, putting down a pack of wild dog dangerous/
Old November 18, 2010, 11:59 PM   #6
siv

Make sure you take the wind into consideration. I don't know if it is windy down there is MS, but up here in the MN - SD area, it gets mighty breezy. I've found that it works best to set up with the wind crossing or in my face. A lot of the time they will try to circle around you and approach from down wind to pick up the scent of what has caught their interest. Also good camo is a must unless you have some stupid dogs on your hands.
Old November 19, 2010, 06:06 AM   #7
LanceOregon

Quote:
A lot of the time they will try to circle around you and approach from down wind to pick up the scent of what has caught their interest.
That is why having decoy together with a call is so important. If the coyote can actually see what it thinks is making the noise, they will head right for it.