The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 29, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
mdd

need chronograph...recommendations?

I'm trying to figure out the quirks of my m77 mkII 223 and am down to the amount of powder i'm mixing for it. I need a chronograph to move forward from here. I'd appreciate recommendations on brands, setups, etc.
Thanks
Michael
Old March 29, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
crimsondave

Go to Midway and look at them all. Most of them have reviews by people who own them.
Old March 29, 2010, 04:18 PM   #3
wogpotter

PACT!
Excellent company with good customer support.
Some more discussion & suggestions HERE: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402762
Old March 29, 2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Dodge DeBoulet

CED M2 for me. There's a thread here that discusses it and others.

I particularly like the fact that it's brains aren't anywhere near the sensors, and that you just need a simple USB cable (which it comes with) to download your shot data to your computer.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old March 29, 2010, 10:50 PM   #5
thekyrifleman

Shooting Chrony....cheap, durable and accurate....
Old March 30, 2010, 05:52 AM   #6
oldandslow

mdd, 3/30/10

I have owned a Pact for about the last five years and it is the most tempermental piece of electronics I have come across. It won't register when used in full sunlight so I have to get to the range before 0800 or after 1700 to get it to read correctly. If it is a cloudy day it will work, but I have to time the shots so the sun is behind the clouds .

At a local pistol match this last weekend one of the range officers had a new Shooting Chrony set up. It seemed to work great for everyone who tried it. I have not owned this particular brand so I can't comment on its long term function.

good luck- oldandslow
Old March 30, 2010, 05:59 AM   #7
rattletrap1970

I have a shooting chrony, it's OK. It has some issues with the display. Sometimes it seems like when you are looking at the display all the segments of the numbers are lit (so you don't know what the number is). I have an older one and they will not take it back in trade toward a updated version (which I think sucks). I have been reading the reviews and such, I think I will be getting a CED.
Old April 1, 2010, 06:45 PM   #8
bkhann

Now that the weather is spring-like I have been using my chrony to get all of my loads fine tuned. I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master with optional memory to give me a total of 1000 shot memory. This is overkill as the most I have ever used in one session is 250. After shooting my first chrony dead, I built a titanium shield for the front of the chrony. I also replaced the metal rods holding the diffuser with wood dowels. I have shot these, so I always keep a half dozen or so in my bag. I always shoot at a distance of 15 feet and I always use a gun stand and a target behind the chrony to help prevent accidents.
I will typically make tags for each load end paste them onto a sheet with the string number. When I get home from the range I write down the shot info from the chrony and do my calculations. I think that having the computer next to you (as opposed to on the chrony) makes the whole operation much easier. Outside of a few read errors here and there, I have few problems with my system. I did break down and bought a tripod for the chrony. It just helps to ensure that everything is secure. Now that I have been doing this for a while, set up and take down is 5 minutes or less.
I think that having a printer at the range is cumbersome at best unless it is important that you have a record of the chrony info there (like testing power bases for IDPA).

Best of luck.

BKHann