The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 30, 2009, 12:15 PM   #1
kflach
Registration in progress

Potential Nipple Cross Thread

I took my nipples out to clean my 58 Remmy NMA. When I re-inserted them, one of them stuck. I think I'm on the verge of having that nipple cross-threaded. I haven't forced it, but at this point it insists on stopping before it's fully in.

I know that I can use that chamber as my "safety" chamber, but I'd still like to get the nipple to go in properly.

Any suggestions?

I've tried inserting all six nipples just in case it was a 'fit' issue, but none of them work in that chamber's threads.
Old July 30, 2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Hawg

If it screws in easily past the first two threads it's not crossed. Maybe some debris or fouling in the cylinder threads on that chamber.
Old July 30, 2009, 12:51 PM   #3
mykeal

Chase the threads in the cylinder with a tapered tap.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
robhof

robhof

If you don't have the right tap; you can use an old 22 cal. bronze brush connected to a slow drill to polish out the debris. I've used one on my ROA cylinders to clean the threads after a long day of shooting. The longer rifle brush works best for me, I drill it in about 2/3 of the way then reverse it and repeat, try the nipple and repeat til clear. You might also try some hot soapy water on a Q-tip and screw it in and out first.
Old July 30, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
ClemBert

It is always a good idea to use an anti-seize lube made for guns on your nipple threads. Not only will it make the nipple easier to get out the next time but it will screw in a little easier too. I don't think your nipple is cross threaded. Remove that nipple and try one of the others in it's place. Don't forget anti-seize lube.

As far as a safety chamber...is that necessary on an 1858? The 1858 was designed with safety notches between each nipple. Just lower the hammer on one of the six safety notches and you can carry around a fully loaded 1858 without worry.

Last edited by ClemBert; July 30, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old July 30, 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Whooops

Maybe I am being foolhearty but, Remington, Colt, or Ruger, I never have a safety chamber until I have fired the first round.

Tnx,
Old July 31, 2009, 06:03 AM   #7
mykeal

The problem, as I read his post, is damaged threads. He needs to repair the threads first, then clean them out with the brush and then apply the anti-seize. First things first.

The only way to repair damaged threads is to chase them with a tap; a plug tap will work but a tapered tap is recommended. If you don't have one they can be purchased at any hardware or home repair box store; they are not expensive.

The subject of the thread is repairing his cylinder, not 'safety chambers', so I'll leave that subject alone.
Old July 31, 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
kflach
Registration in progress

<grin> Yep, the Remmy has the safety notch in it. However, I don't feel as bad about the chamber being messed up if I think of it as a "safety chamber" just like what's required in a match. "My cup is half full."

At this point I'm pretty sure the cylinder is gonna need to be tapped.

Thanks all!
Old July 31, 2009, 09:55 AM   #9
robhof

robhof

Then follwo mykeal's advice and ideally bring the cylinder to your lacal hardware store and get the right tap. Chasing a damaged thread is relative easy and the steel of B/p revolvers is soft enough to chase without damage and easily with hand pressure. Be sure to get the T handle to apply even pressure as you thread it in, and use penetrating oil liberally. Keep us informed of your progress.
Old July 31, 2009, 10:19 AM   #10
kflach
Registration in progress

I hadn't thought about taking it to the hardware store. The people at the local store are very friendly and helpful and can show me how to do it.

Another source told me that the Pietta has a 6mm x .75 thread size.
Old July 31, 2009, 10:43 AM   #11
ClemBert

If you have it threaded to the point where it stops just before it is in it is not cross threaded. I noticed on my 1858 with the factory nipples when I went to put them in they would thread easy for several turns then they'd get pretty tight even though I knew they weren't all the way in. Then as you cinched them a little more all of a sudden they get loose again for the the last few turns. Finally, they'd bottom out and tighten right up.

Don't make a bigger deal out of it that you have to. Take that nipple out and try it in another chamber. The other nipple from the other chamber try it out on the problem chamber. Are you using anti-seize grease?????
Old July 31, 2009, 10:47 AM   #12
ClemBert

p.s. If you want to see the drama with my 1858 nipple story read THIS.
Old July 31, 2009, 10:56 AM   #13
kflach
Registration in progress

Clembert,

1.) I can get it in about half way.

2). I, too, noticed the tendency for the nipples to get tight and then lighten up in the other chambers. This one stops hard, and I'd have to apply a *lot* of pressure to try get it to go further. I've been hesitant to do so because I didn't want to mess it up. I guess if I'm already looking at having to tap it, it won't hurt to really try forcing it just in case that's all it needs (I've already cleaned it to make sure it isn't some kind of fouling stuck in the threads).

3). I've tried all 6 nipples. None work in that chamber. All work in the other chambers.

4). Yes, I'm using anti-seize grease.
Old July 31, 2009, 11:05 AM   #14
kflach
Registration in progress

I read your nipple saga. Sheesh. Why must nipples be so complicated! <grin>
Old July 31, 2009, 11:27 AM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Why must nipples be so complicated!
It's usually the women they're attached to.
Old July 31, 2009, 11:32 AM   #16
kflach
Registration in progress

Don't get me goin!!!!!

<really big grin>