The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 23, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Great Law Review Article on Practical Problems with Gun Control

If you could get every anti in the United States to read this 55-page law review article, I think it would probably convince a substantial percentage of them to rethink their efforts. The author makes a great effort to demonstrate the inherent practical problems in current gun control legislation caused by defiance of those laws and the sheer number of firearms available in our society.

http://lawreview.law.wfu.edu/documents/issue.43.837.pdf

It is worth reading in general just for the tremendous amount of good information contained within; however it is particularly worth reading if you debate with antis on this subject. It has a number of arguments that explain why even if their goals are something we wanted, their approach is not one that will succeed.
Old January 23, 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
maestro pistolero

Wow, that was exhaustive. All that to say this:

CONCLUSION
Without a commitment to or capacity for eliminating the
existing inventory of private guns, the supply-side ideal and
regulations based on it cannot be taken seriously. It is best to
acknowledge the blocking power of the remainder and adjust our
gun control regulations and goals to that reality. Policymakers who
continue to press legislation grounded on the supply-side ideal while
disclaiming the goal of prohibition are deluded or pandering.
Old January 23, 2009, 06:11 PM   #3
crashm1

Yeah I read that yesterday after seeing the blurb at Dave Hardy's site. The things that stuck out for me was a 400 year supply after a ban and that compliance would probably not exceed 30% and probably less in many states.
Old January 23, 2009, 07:20 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

Thank you Bartholomew. That will take a while to digest.

Does anyone happen to know the compliance rate in Canada, Northern Ireland and Australia outside the big cities? I'd guess that after 400 years of British occupation in Northern Ireland they've probably come close to their goal but probably both Australia and Canada are closer to the 30%.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 23, 2009, 07:45 PM   #5
vranasaurus

Quote:
Does anyone happen to know the compliance rate in Canada, Northern Ireland and Australia outside the big cities? I'd guess that after 400 years of British occupation in Northern Ireland they've probably come close to their goal but probably both Australia and Canada are closer to the 30%.
I thought I read somewhere that prosecutors in some canadian provinces refuse to prosecute people for possession of unregistered guns and possession of a gun without a license.

If the prosecutors won't prosecute the law has no teeth and compliance numbers would be rather low.
Old January 23, 2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

The article gives the official take on registration from Canada. IIRC, it was 5 million registered to 7-10 million unregistered. I also like how the article notes that even using Japanese-like compliance rates, the United States would still have more illegal firearms than any other country had firearms period.