The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 26, 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Dave R

First Deer Hunt!

I am in my early ‘50s, have wanted to hunt deer for years, but couldn’t get over the inertia hump. Which is to say, I couldn’t get anyone to invite me out.

Finally got a young guy from work, an avid hunter, to take me.

We started small, A half-day hunt. Here in Idaho, that’s practical.

We left about 2pm. Headed out to a spot recommended to us by a mutual friend. A 2-point only area. You can only harvest bucks with 2 points on one side. This area is supposed to be full of them.

We drove till the pavement ended, then drove another half-hour or so. We were getting out into the boonies, or so we thought until the school bus came up behind us, and a UPS truck passed us going the other way.

We drove another while, until the road petered out. We glassed every mile or two. Nothing.

When the road got too small, we walked into some rougher country. Got to a prominent point and glassed. We spotted a small feeder creek with water in it, aspen groves and mixed open grass around it.

Saw two groups of 3 does. Figured we were getting warm. So we stalked roundabout to get close to the herd. All told, we’ve walked about 1.5 miles of terrain, with much up & down. My legs are getting rubbery. We set up in a good ambush spot. Sure enough, some more does appeared. Then a buck appeared. I counted points. Two and Two! Range about 250 yards. I can make this shot!

Buddy sees me setting up and whispers “No! Too Big!” I’m thinking “Too Big? What the heck?” Then I see the two and two points were on the SAME SIDE. 4 more points on the other side. A 4-pointer. Illegal. My heart rate begins to return to near normal.

I maintain the ambush spot, in case another younger buck should show. Buddy, who still has some legs left, unlike me, scouts up higher.

I stalk a little closer to the herd, mostly to practice stalking, and maybe just in case. I move when the wind stirs the leaves. I’m still when the wind is still. I get as close as I dare, then just observe. It gets still enough at times that I hear them munching.

Every time I count the herd, there’s another deer--6, then 7, then 8. All does except the 4 pointer.

Finally, another herd jogs through the herd I’m watching and they take off. Buddy may have spooked that second group.

We figure its time to head back before we lose the light. We shadow the spooked herd up the mountain and back to the car, glassing them regularly. This is so cool.

We got to the truck just at dusk, legs rubbery again, and drive out. I marvel at the awesomeness of finding the deer, stalking, and being that close to the herd. Everything went fine, except nothing to shoot.

And that’s OK. There will be another time. And eventually there will be a shot, and field dressing, and perhaps a bigger celebration.

But I still feel like celebrating the hunt.
Old October 26, 2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Ironwood

Dave, Welcome to the hunting brotherhood! Not every good hunt has to end in a kill. You just experienced one of those good hunts! Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.
Old October 27, 2008, 03:03 PM   #3
ammoeater

That's awesome Dave, good for you! You just found out why we call it hunting, not killing! A day in the field is never a waste, whether you bag your quarry or not. Good luck, you will be addicted like the rest of us.

Also, consider inviting someone else along for their first time, once you get into it. We hunters seem to be a dying breed...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old October 27, 2008, 03:57 PM   #4
deanadell

Aint it fun???
Old October 27, 2008, 04:41 PM   #5
JKump

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Didn't get to pull the trigger, BUT....I bet you can't wait to the next trip out. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old October 27, 2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Bronco1957

Congratulations. Some of my best hunts, I never pulled a trigger.
Old October 27, 2008, 05:53 PM   #7
BIGR

Good for you Dave. It only gets better. As the guys said its not always about killing the animal you are hunting. Its about being in the great outdoors away from the hustle and bustle. Seeing animals do things that you would never see if you didn't go outdoors. Enjoy your hunting...
Old October 27, 2008, 05:57 PM   #8
VaFisher

Welcome, you have waited a long time to start but what's left will be fun if done right you should have many a day to look back on in later years.
Old October 27, 2008, 07:36 PM   #9
TheNatureBoy

Dave, sounds like you got off to a great start. Harvesting a deer is only a part of the total experience. My best outings have been ones when I didn't fire my weapon. A good chase, listening to guys lie about how and why they missed, ribbing, and getting ribbed when I missed, seeing and passing on game, spending a week at camp with the guys. Did I mention listening to guys lie? I agree with Ammoeater. Invite some one to go hunting with you. Have fun
Old October 27, 2008, 07:46 PM   #10
fisherman66

Quote:
Congratulations. Some of my best hunts, I never pulled a trigger.
That's the truth. Watching mother nature open the window of a day is awe inspiring. Eating a backstrap grilled MR over a campfire is the only thing that even comes close.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:52 PM   #11
Dave R

Thanks for the good words. Yes, it was a great start. And yes, I can't wait to go again.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:39 PM   #12
Dearhunter61

Outstanding! Great hunt. I am sure you will have the chance in the future to get one. Keep it up and you will. Welcome aboard! Let us know when you get your first....but to tell the truth you just experienced what hunting is really about...it is not about shooting a deer in as much as it is about the hunt!