The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2002, 01:23 AM   #1
sjones

how deep the wad?

I am a newbie at this,so please bear with me. I just bought a used mec sizemaster and am trying to figure out how to tell if the wad is deep enough. I am loading winAA huls,waa12sl wads and 7 1/2 shot. I have lowered the sliding tube down the shaft till I get 60 pounds of presure on the gauge. and also tried to compare a mt shell and the one I just put the wad in. They look like they are down far enought,but can't really tell for sure. Haven't shot any yet,plan on going out tomorrow. I only loaded 6 to see if they work okay.Also I see the top of the shell is just a tad bit longer than the same in a factory round,and the top of the case has a slight swirl on it. thanks. sj
Old November 29, 2002, 01:35 AM   #2
lockandrock
Registration in progress

I load on a MEC 600 jr so don't know how much this would help.

60lbs seems quite high, how are you're crimps looking like?

I try to maintain 0 to 40lbs depending on what shell and wad type being used but never have been to 60lbs. The remington SP10/RP10 has been seating great, nice crmp folds, and good powder ignition with 0-30lbs. I would highly reccommend to down load the MEC user manual and follow their advice on wad pressure.
Old November 29, 2002, 01:51 PM   #3
HSMITH

The swirl is fine, just check to make sure you are not leaving a hole in the middle of the crimp. If you are leaving a hole the crimp depth needs to be deeper. Also the shot should not be loose in the hull. It likely will rattle but if it is loose it will shake a lot. 20 pounds of wad pressure is plenty, the only reason to go higher is if you are having trouble crimping the hulls and are crushing shot in doing so. Lighten up on the wad pressure a little, it is only gaining you more effort in seating them.