The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2017, 11:16 AM   #1
MosinNOUGAT

Hi Point C9

So I was on the internet and I found this funky little gun. I was curious so I watched some reviews and a torture test (IV8888) and they seem to be okay but not great. Does anyone have experience with these?
Old May 7, 2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Funky little gun! LOL
Far from a little gun, but durable as a tank. Clise to the size of one too. Crudely made, and heavy. Built to sell for the lowest price possible.Heavy because they are straight blowback operated, and the weight of the slide, and heavy spring tension is what delays the extraction until after the bullet leaves the muzzle reducing the pressure to a safe level.
They are however nearly indestrutable, and probably the best economy gun on the market.
I bought a C9 a few years ago to see if they could possibly be as bad as the gun snob haters always claimed. Much to my pleasure, and somewhat amazement, it turned out to be a 100% reliable, very accurate, and really fun gun to shoot.
For the price they can not be beat. They fill a purpose perfectly as a home defense gun for someone that can not afford something a litle more costly, a knock around gun you won't be upset if it gets nicks and scratches, or just another range blaster.
As a side note, I liked my C9 so much that I also bought the JHP 45acp Hi-Point. Equally reliable, and accurate. So much so that out of my several 45acp pistols the Hi-Point is the only one mySon-In-Law can shoot accurately. He hasn't tried the C9, but I am sure he will have similar results.
Now, get ready for the onslaught of hate by the gun snobs decrying the Hi-Poi t as "pot metal" junk because of the Zamak alloy used for the slide. Just ignore them for not one of them has likely owned, or even shot a Hi-Point.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 7, 2017, 12:23 PM   #3
HistoryJunky

For 100 dollars you won't find a better functioning pistol brand new.

My brother has a C9. It's about the least ergonomic pistol out there. It's excessively heavy for an 8 shot pistol. But it is reliable and accurate.

Seriously. My full size, all steel CZ 85B only weighs about 7 ounces more and holds twice the ammo.

But if all you have is 100 dollars and you want something that works and you won't care about, go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2017, 01:00 PM   #4
marine6680

They are...

Clunky
Heavy
Ugly
Made from low cost materials
Have horrid triggers
Low Capacity
Unrefined

Zamak Zink alloy slides... Literal Pipe used for the barrel (specially made and steel type suitable for a barrel sure, but still sourced from a pipe maker)

They are not easy to take apart for cleaning, you need a hammer and punch.

But for the most part They are accurate and reliable.

I tell people... If you can afford a better gun, get a better gun.

If you can't afford a better gun, or want a beater tackle box gun or whatnot... Hipoints work well.

The biggest issue that you see with them, is usually that they can need a break in period. With people sometimes needing to put a few boxes of +P ammo though one, or to fight with malfunctions for a few boxes.

After a few boxes of ammo gets through it, the gun will settle in and work well from then on.

People love to hate on them, but any honest person that has any real experience with them, will tell you they generally go BANG when you want them to.
Old May 7, 2017, 01:13 PM   #5
TruthTellers

If you want a cheap 9mm, for $100 more you can get a 9mm that;s half the weight, better trigger, easier slide to rack, etc.

I'd say keep looking for something else. Used SCCY pistols are going for under $200 on gunbroker and they're a much better gun.

Now, if you were looking for a .45 that's a low price, the Hi Point is the best in that regards and the capacity of 9 rds is pretty good compared to other single stack .45's.
Old May 7, 2017, 02:12 PM   #6
JoeSixpack

While I don't intentionally punish my c9 like Iraqvet did even I was surprised how well it held up.

I bought my c9 for a couple reasons.

1. I live in Ohio and thought it would be cool to have a gun made in Ohio
2. I wanted to see if all the bashing was justified.. short answer it was'nt.
3. It was cheap as sin.. 120 NIB, I was able to support my LGS and a homestate gun MFG So that felt good.
.. I also bought the 995 carbine (planet of the apes version "classic") both guns out the door for like 301, No regrets at this price.
I will probably pick up the 45acp carbine in the future (wasn't out when I bought mine)

My carbine has been 100% reliable and frankly a very fun gun to shoot.

My C9 had a lot jams the first 200-250 rounds, after that it got better.
I will say that I noticed more problems loading to 8 rounds rather than 7, I believe the magazines are the actual source of most problems people have.

The gun is obviously made cheaply but it is very durable, I do carry mine in a fobus holster, which actually fit it rather well and I recommend.

I carry it when Im doing dirty jobs, working in the yard, on the house, on the car.. I have no 2nd thoughts of simply rolling around in dirt and gravel bare gun to ground.
The powder coat finish on the slide while utilitarian is very tough.
My motto concerning the gun is "I carry it like I hate it"

Take down is a PITA cause of the use of a punch that is no lie, I usually just wipe mine down based on what I can see/get to.
I think HP's own advice is like every 500 rounds or something.
The slide fitment is fairly loose so regular cleaning isn't critical anyway.

Despite the funky look I find it fits my hand rather well ergonomically.
I am impressed with the simplicity of the design, The sights are actually quite nice and adjustable and better then you'd hope for on a cheap pistol.
My gun was horribly off when I first got it (hardly on paper at 25ft), the first range trip I had to result to point shooting since I did'nt have any tools for adjustment and it did rather well so it points very nicely (at last for me, again ergonomics)

I do not know where they source their barrel material, I do remember reading a interview with the owner years ago that they had a lot of automotive supply companies in the area that they utilize for parts like the zamak cast slide.. so it could be true.
I do know it's +p rated so it can't be all that bad.

While I've not had a need to contract HP for CS I've yet to hear about bad service and some of the stories I've heard has me convinced the no questions asked is beyond real and I have little doubt they have the best CS in the industry.

Most of what you hear negative about HP is from people who have not even shot a HP let alone owned one, Generally you'll get a lot of parrots feeding parrots or people judging on looks or price.

If you can get one for 150 I say do it, see for your self (assuming you can afford 150 to blow on a lark) Chances are you'll see that while the gun is not perfect most of the bashing is just that.. bashing.
I would not pay more then 150 even knowing what I know however.
It is a bit bulky for a 8 shot single stack at the end of the day.

By no means is the c9 my first choice, But as far as what it is and what it sells for it's pretty much the Cadillac of cheap guns.
Old May 7, 2017, 02:35 PM   #7
MosinNOUGAT

Thanks for the responses!

It's weird how "good" it is for such a low price.
Old May 7, 2017, 03:16 PM   #8
Lexspeed

What an interesting read on these hi points in this thread, and so many positive comments. I sure learned a lot about these butt ugly pistols. There are just too many other guns on my wish list, and a cheap price is not a major selection criteria for me. I doubt I'd ever own one. But, I have a little more respect for them. I did say "a little more".
Old May 7, 2017, 03:28 PM   #9
HistoryJunky

Every time I see one at a gun show for 100 bucks I think about buying one. That's been a lot of times and I still don't have one.

I agree with what was said. If you can afford a better gun, buy a better gun. If you can't, a Hi point will do just fine.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2017, 05:40 PM   #10
marine6680

Prices on pistols are coming down recently. An extra $100-150 can go a long way.

I seen PSA have the SD9 VE on sale for $250... And there are mail in rebates for $25 on them.

The trigger isn't the best, smooth but fairly heavy, and no real way to fix that without affecting reliability. The Apex kit, makes reset a little weak, and required fitting on the one I installed for someone.

But its a S&W, and well made. Probably one of the best sub $300 new handguns you can get.
Old May 7, 2017, 06:31 PM   #11
DanPop

Hi-Point guns fill a niche, I have never as much as held one but I have read alot of good reviews about them. I honestly feel that the bashers are HK, Sig, Glock snobs that can't understand why a Chevrolet can do the same thing a Mercedes can, get you to point A to point B without breaking down. Personally I would never buy one for a few reasons, 1, I can afford a better gun, 2, way too ugly, 3, the weight makes it uncarryable for me, 4, there are alot of higher quality guns for a little bit more. Sarsilmaz has the K2P and B6P for a hundred bucks more, I own a K2P and love, love it.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old May 7, 2017, 06:36 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
They are not easy to take apart for cleaning, you need a hammer and punch.
They don't need to be taken apart for cleaning. There is nothing that can't be cleaned with brushes, cloths, and aerosol cleaner that needs to be cleaned. In fact, the manufacturer recommends against taking them apart. If something does get gummed up inside, send it to Hi-Point. They will clean it, repair it, or replace it free of charge, and without questions. They will also most likely return it with a free spare magazine for your trouble.
Quote:
The biggest issue that you see with them, is usually that they can need a break in period. With people sometimes needing to put a few boxes of +P ammo though one, or to fight with malfunctions for a few boxes.
Certainly not the case with my C9. 100% reliable with anything I fed it from the very first round.
Can't say for sure with my JHP because it was used when I got it. But it didn't appear to have many rounds through it. Nothing showed any sign of wear, ore even use. Lime the C9, 100% reliable from the get-go.
I'm not saying they are better than some guns costing a bit more, and a bit more "refined". But for what they are, they are the best.
Old May 7, 2017, 06:43 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But, I have a little more respect for them. I did say "a little more".
If you haven't seen the torture test youtube videos by Iraqvetern8888 google them, and watch. You will probably gain much more respect for Hi-Point.
Old May 7, 2017, 06:44 PM   #14
BigMikey76

My step dad's one and only hand gun is a Hi Point C-9. He CCs it every day. It is way heavier than a lot of other options, especially for it's capacity, but it has always gone bang for him, and he is darn accurate with it. I find it to be hideous, and I just could never bring myself to buy one, but all he cares about is utility, so it is a good gun for him.
Old May 7, 2017, 06:52 PM   #15
deerslayer303

I too bought a C9 right after that IV8888 torture test came out. It's been a good knock around gun. Its in one of those cheap holsters they sell at walmart which fits ot pretty good (That holster holds an extra mag too). And it goes fishing with me. I polished the feed ramp, extractor, and firing pin. And tweaked on the magazines some. It's reliable. But it likes 7 plus 1 not 8 plus 1. If Bee Miller would just make or have some better mags made the thing would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2017, 06:57 PM   #16
RoughDivider

Nothing wrong with them I just prefer more elegant weapons from a more civilized age, not such a clumsy weapon.
Old May 7, 2017, 07:21 PM   #17
sigarms228

If one can only afford $170 and absolutely no more for a pistol a Hi Point is much better than no pistol and probably best at that price point. Certainly not the last word in reliability and durability and any purchaser of any pistol should verify the reliability of there new pistol ideally with at least a couple hundred rounds fired.

However for another $100 or so much better options exist IMO if one can devote that to a purchase of a new pistol. Definitely a buyers market for new/used pistols these days.

Last edited by sigarms228; May 7, 2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 7, 2017, 08:36 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Certainly not the last word in reliability and durability
Certaunly not spoken by someone who actually owns, and shoots one of these nearly indestructible tanks!
Not sure why you think 100% is not the last word in reliability. Does a gun costing 3 times as much offer 300% reliability? Is that possible?
Old May 7, 2017, 09:26 PM   #19
tahunua001

it would be a perfect sidekick to your mosin nagant. a largely unrefined and rough design that works and works well, but ergonomics, fine tuning, aesthetics and balance were likely not part of the hi point drawing board.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:11 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't think that comparison is valid. The M-N was a quality rifle, as good as the best available at the time (1891) with refinements (mainly in the magazine to handle the odd cartridge). It served Russia well for some 60 years and was the main Soviet infantry rifle of WWII. Like its contemporaries, the British SMLE and the Italian Carcano, they were obsolete after WWII and were sold off cheaply to free up storage space and get hard currency, not because they were bad rifles.

I have found the Hi-Point pistols to be reasonably accurate and reliable, adequate for the intended purpose, but not intended for long or hard use.

Jim
Old May 7, 2017, 10:21 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
it would be a perfect sidekick to your mosin nagant. a largely unrefined and rough design that works and works well, but ergonomics, fine tuning, aesthetics and balance were likely not part of the hi point drawing board.
Very good analogy. Basic, rough, crude, but completely functional, and reliable.
Equating the MN to it's counter parts of the time like the K98 Mauser, and Springfield '03 is like comparing the Hi-Point to a Glock or Springfield XD.
Old May 8, 2017, 02:43 AM   #22
marine6680

Quote:
Certainly not the case with my C9. 100% reliable with anything I fed it from the very first round.
Can't say for sure with my JHP because it was used when I got it. But it didn't appear to have many rounds through it. Nothing showed any sign of wear, ore even use. Lime the C9, 100% reliable from the get-go.
I'm not saying they are better than some guns costing a bit more, and a bit more "refined". But for what they are, they are the best.

I definitely hear of them working more often than not.

I was just stating that if any issues do arise, its usually just initial break in related, and will work out after a short time.

As far as cleaning, a wipe down and oiling is good enough most of the time. Using spray cleaner if it gets really bad is usually good enough with a simple design like a hipoint.

I have taken apart a used one for a friend to give it a once over and make sure it was GTG and cleaned and lubed correctly.

He got is for something like $70 a couple years back, rear sight was broken. It worked well otherwise. I told him to call hipoint, as they would likely just mail him a sight. I think he ended up giving it to his dad to keep in his truck after he got a CCW.
Old May 8, 2017, 06:07 AM   #23
Texas45

Wouldnt own one in a pistol.
However the carbine version I own in 40 has shot ALOT of rounds. Ive done nothing but clean the bore and chamber. NEVER been apart NEVER had a malfunction. Has a lil 4x scope on it and can hold a 1 in group at 50yds all day.

Many low cost better quality new and used guns available today in SA pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 8, 2017, 05:17 PM   #24
MosinNOUGAT

Thanks. I wonder why they don't change the look of them. If they refined the shape while keeping the price low I feel like they would sell much better.
Old May 8, 2017, 05:27 PM   #25
BigMikey76

Quote:
I wonder why they don't change the look of them. If they refined the shape while keeping the price low I feel like they would sell much better.
Change costs money. They would have to pay for R&D, new manufacturing equipment, more costly materials if they wanted to make them look sleeker/weigh less without compromising structural integrity, etc. Then they would have to pass those costs on to the customers in order to recoup the expense.

As it is, they are the only guns that I know of in their price range that have a good reputation. If they made them look nicer, that would raise costs, and they would just be another decent mid-priced gun rather than King of the super cheap guns.