The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2017, 08:03 PM   #51
Super Blackhawk

The Shield.... fantastic CC with great safety
Old May 12, 2017, 10:09 PM   #52
Cheapshooter

Single Action with the Glock trigger safety thingie?
It should feel more like a Glock. Before the LCPII was introduced last October they were DAO, and the trigger felt much more like a DA revolver.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 16, 2017, 07:44 AM   #53
Ibmikey

Super Blackhawk, I agree the Shield is a great pistol for concealed carry, small flat package for easy carry and 9 mm to boot. I do not however agree that it has a great safety...a safety that is very positive in locking the pistol but very difficult to wipe off in case of an emergency. My Shield was a gift and has the safety which I would not have included if purchasing the pistol. I do not activate the safety, use a IWB kydex holster and have the pistol ready for use should it be needed quickly.
I attempted a draw and fire drill with the safety in the on position, my conclusion was by the time the little lever was found and taken off you probably would be beyond the need for a pistol anyway.
These are personal reflections from one who has carried concealed concealed his entire career and understands the importance for immediate use of the pistol under demanding conditions.

Last edited by Ibmikey; May 16, 2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old May 16, 2017, 08:13 AM   #54
Siggy-06

I agree with Ibmikey about the shield's safety being stiff and a bit on the flat side so it's a bit more difficult to actuate. I've had a 9mm and .40 shield both with safeties and ended up just not using them while in the holster. I carry a Springfield XDS now and the grip safety gives that extra level of safety, but doesn't require me to think about it when drawing.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:49 AM   #55
RickB

Anyone who has to "think about" the safety, or envisions "forgetting" to disengage the safety is a possibility, don't get a gun with a safety.
Or, looked at the other way, get a gun with a safety, and then practice enough that you don't have to think about it; a win-win.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:26 AM   #56
BigMikey76

Quote:
Anyone who has to "think about" the safety, or envisions "forgetting" to disengage the safety is a possibility, don't get a gun with a safety.
Or, looked at the other way, get a gun with a safety, and then practice enough that you don't have to think about it; a win-win.
Agreed 100%. My preference is to just have no safety. If it isn't there, I never have to worry about it being on when I need it to be off.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:01 PM   #57
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Or, looked at the other way, get a gun with a safety, and then practice enough that you don't have to think about it
Even then, in the most stressful moment of your life are you 100% sure that you will remember it. Secondly, are you sure that you will not slip off of the safety leaving it engaged. too mamy chances for something to go wrong in a very stressful, life threatening situation while with a properly designed gun, and using proper safe gun handeling procedires there is very little, if any chances for a problem
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 16, 2017, 02:26 PM   #58
RickB

It's not a matter of remembering.
It would be like saying, are you going to remember to draw? Are you going to remember to aim? To pull the trigger?
I "disengage" imaginary safeties on guns that don't have them.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:58 PM   #59
JoeSixpack

"It's not a matter of remembering.
It would be like saying, are you going to remember to draw? Are you going to remember to aim? To pull the trigger?
I "disengage" imaginary safeties on guns that don't have them. "

Not sure If I've said it in this thread but I absolutely agree with you.
Even if I carry with the safety off you should still practice your draw of flipping it off..

that's because sometimes they can get bumped "on"
although not as big a problem as getting bumped on -> off

You'd hate to draw a gun with a safety that you carry off only to find it on, so it's best to practice sweeping it off regardless just in case.
If it's already off then no harm no foul.
Old May 17, 2017, 02:33 PM   #60
Fishbed77

Many of the Kahr pistols are available with manual safeties.
Old May 17, 2017, 02:34 PM   #61
BigMikey76

Quote:
It's not a matter of remembering.
I "disengage" imaginary safeties on guns that don't have them.
You're absolutely right. One of my shooting buddies has it so ingrained in his actions that he sweeps his GP 100. To me, the issue is not one of forgetting to do it, but of missing when I do. I don't care how many times you have done it or how ingrained a habit it is, there is always a chance that your sweep is going to fail to disengage the safety, especially if it is one of the smaller and harder to hit safeties we are seeing on a lot of carry guns these days. To me, it's just not worth taking the chance.