The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 10, 2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Duzell

My 91/30 mossin nagant project

OK I received my 91/30 from big five last night. Has all matching serial numbers and came with a bayonet, ammo pouches, sling, tool kit to adjust the pin?, and a barrel cloth cover. The rifles metal parts are like new. The stock is nice and fresh with some varnish flaking off. Bolt action is smooth and quick, much better than what I was expecting. Did a tactical. Run with it and its weighted well. It was 203$ but due to being on special 3day sale it was 109$ which is a great deal. I'm planing to take it to a gunsmith to check out all the parts and see if there is anything wrong with the mechanical parts and see if there is anything in need of tweaking or repair before I go test fire it.
My plan with the gun is simply to keep the original parts as is. I will buy a mote Carlo stock , tri rail mount, scout scope, bipod, cheekrest/amoholder . These will be merely Bolton parts so as not to alter the rifle.
The plan is to be able to swap between the standard mode of the 91/30 to a sporter sniper rifle mode. It seems easily attainable and all the main mods will be done to the Monte Carlo stock not the standard stock. I will keep barrel length and maybe get a muzell break if I can ever find one for a 91/30.
This process dosnt seem that it it will be very costly. While keeping it were it can swap between modes makes the rifle a gun to playground with. And since the standard mode will not be altered its historical look will be available at any time.

OK so far I've located the stock,rail mount, cheekrest/ammo holder, and stripper clips
The scope I want needs to be long relief so I believe I should look into scout scopes. I also want an illuminated sights in the scope. But not finding any worth the price. Can anyone recommend any such scopes that arnt to pricy?

Last edited by Duzell; November 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old November 10, 2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Duzell

60 veiws and not one helpful comment ....
Old November 11, 2011, 03:28 AM   #3
CLC

It was $203 before the sale ? I don't change a thing on my M/Ns so I don't have much more to add other than I would shoot it as is and save the money for ammo.
Old November 11, 2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
OK I received my 91/30 from big five last night. Has all matching serial numbers and came with a bayonet, ammo pouches, sling, tool kit to adjust the pin?, and a barrel cloth cover. The rifles metal parts are like new. The stock is nice and fresh with some varnish flaking off. Bolt action is smooth and quick, much better than what I was expecting. Did a tactical. Run with it and its weighted well. It was 203$ but due to being on special 3day sale it was 109$ which is a great deal. I'm planing to take it to a gunsmith to check out all the parts and see if there is anything wrong with the mechanical parts and see if there is anything in need of tweaking or repair before I go test fire it.
My plan with the gun is simply to keep the original parts as is. I will buy a mote Carlo stock , tri rail mount, scout scope, bipod, cheekrest/amoholder .
Quote:
These will be merely Bolton parts so as not to alter the rifle.
The plan is to be able to swap between the standard mode of the 91/30 to a sporter sniper rifle mode. It seems easily attainable and all the main mods will be done to the Monte Carlo stock not the standard stock. I will keep barrel length and maybe get a muzell break if I can ever find one for a 91/30.
This process dosnt seem that it it will be very costly. While keeping it were it can swap between modes makes the rifle a gun to playground with. And since the standard mode will not be altered its historical look will be available at any time.

OK so far I've located the stock,rail mount, cheekrest/ammo holder, and stripper clips
The scope I want needs to be long relief so I believe I should look into scout scopes. I also want an illuminated sights in the scope. But not finding any worth the price. Can anyone recommend any such scopes that arnt to pricy?
OK here we go, adjusting the pin refers to adjusting the protrusion of the firing pin after you have disassembled the bolt completely. Glad it was on sale because thats about all they should sell for is around $100-$130.
Here are some web sights that are loaded with solid usable info,
www.tickbitesupply.com scope can be found here and other parts
www.7.62x54r.net best site for info and research
www.surplusrifle.com good info
Ammo is at a lot of sights good price would be $169 for 880 rounds delivered.

Spread the word I have ammo pouches for sale for $3 ea. or 2 for $5 just like the one that came with the rifle.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 11, 2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Duzell

Cool, thanks for that info it will really help !
Old November 11, 2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Duzell

Photos

below are pics of my father inspecting the gun, and the last is me checking out the sights

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...41453782_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...50131322_n.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...36812345_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...34538011_n.jpg
Old November 13, 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Duzell

ok after taking the gun apart and cleaning i found a place on the barrel where water had gotten in and had caused rust, whoever had the gun before me zinc treated it and painted it a little black around the edges
Old November 13, 2011, 07:24 PM   #8
rickyjames

i have a 91/30 that shoots just fine. i would like to make it into a sniper rifle when i can but otherwise it will stay like it is.
Old November 13, 2011, 08:06 PM   #9
TX Hunter

Good looking rifle, my Son has one just like it. Dang thing shoots high though but is otherwise accurate.
Old November 13, 2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
whoever had the gun before me zinc treated it and painted it a little black around the edges
That "whoever" was a Russian arsenal where it was kept after being reconditioned. Remember, you bought a military surplus rifle!
They are great shooters just the way they come, but if you want to try the old silk purse out of a sows ear thing, have at it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 13, 2011, 11:56 PM   #11
M4BGRINGO

I bought two of these rifles, one to leave alone, the other to modify. I paid $99 each, that is the going price. I had my choice of round or hexagon chambers, was told they are basically the same, took the round ones.

I bought them because the ammo is so darn cheap, and so are the guns!

I bought the go, no-go head space tools to make sure they were safe to fire, and they were.

Now, I ruined one when I did a scope mount for it. The two holes went all the way into the chamber. I loaded a round, shot it, had a heck of a time opening the bolt again. When I finally got it open I found two holes in the brass from the screw holes for the scope mount. I have a guy that is going to re-barrel the gun so I can still use it.

So, if you want a scope be careful of what you do!

I also put a plastic stock on the gun. It looks cool, but is now uesless unless I replace the barrel.

I could care less about keeping these guns in their original condition. There are 1000's and 1000's of these things out there for sale, $100 seems to be the going price. Buy a few and put them away if you want, buy a few more and make them into whatever you want.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:27 AM   #12
noelf2

And get a couple more to practice your drilling technique, or to just have fun ruining them.
Old November 14, 2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Duzell

OK test fired it at 50 yards and all x/10/9 area. 100 yards got weird it was hitting below or above target. I adjusted the rear sight to 100, my dad thought it was me till he shot and it did the same to him. We set target back to 50 yards and all x/10/9, had us scratching our heads. So it shoots well. I was planning in getting a Tri rail mount that I found it doesnt break or ruin the rifle it seems. It just bolts on easy peasy, and is strongly secure.
Old November 14, 2011, 10:24 AM   #14
Don P

Rear sight should/is good out to 100 yards and the sight is marked in meters.
Rough estimate is 3.3 feet = 1 meter
Old November 14, 2011, 12:00 PM   #15
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Look down the barrel from the muzzle, with a light. Many of the reconditioned MN 91/30s have the last 1 to 2" of the rifling counter bored - that is smoothed by over bore drilling - because of damage to that area caused by using the Soviet steel cleaning rod. Also look at the crown to make sure it is symetrical and not chipped or oval shaped - that is another common ailment with the 91/30. When I worked in a gun shop a couple years ago, I had the opportunity to handle HUNDREDS of these guns - as the shop sold close to 7,000 pieces over a 7 year period. The vast majority came out of long term storage in the Ukraine and Beylorus - put there by the Soviets in 1946 or so after arsenal check-up and refurbishment.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:29 PM   #16
tobnpr

If you want a mount that's quality, and does not require drill and tap, get a JMeck mount and bend (or buy one) a bent bolt.

http://www.jmeckscopemounts.com/

Just making you aware of another option in case you wanted to use a standard eye relief, higher power glass.

And do yourself a favor and look at getting a Boyd's stock instead of the ATI plastic one. No offense to those that like 'em...
Old November 14, 2011, 08:03 PM   #17
Duzell

What's the difference in the Boyd's stock? I looked at them and they are nice.
And thanks magnum ill definitely look into that.
and I don't know about conversions... I set the rear sight between 100-200 yards that seemed to help but still not hitting target
Old November 15, 2011, 12:04 PM   #18
Don P

Front sight may be off and he are a few more links for parts and such,

http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html

http://www.smith-sights.com (adjustable)

http://www.empirearms.com ( some of there stuff will make you drool)
Old November 16, 2011, 09:58 AM   #19
Duzell

Oh I'm drooling over the fiber optic sights.
Are they easy to install?
would I need a gunsmith?
And that would definatly help
Old November 16, 2011, 12:03 PM   #20
Gunplummer

Here is a helpful comment. Trade it for a 94 Winchester.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:14 PM   #21
Duzell

naw id get an m14 or a savage if i wanted to trade this one

the main reason i wanted this gun was its price and the size of the round it uses, ive always shot large battle rifle rounds so im used to the kick anything else seemed like a downgrade.

this rifle was cheap and seems to be reliable and shoots cheap rounds and is easy to clean , i love the bolt on the gun , so smooth and quick its crazy .

id rather just keep modding its other stock im planning to get

but the new front sight thats adjustable is a great way to go
Old November 16, 2011, 05:26 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Here is a helpful comment. Trade it for a 94 Winchester.

Quote:
the main reason i wanted this gun was its price and the size of the round it uses, ive always shot large battle rifle rounds so im used to the kick anything else seemed like a downgrade.
So why not keep it as a battle rifle, and appreciate it for what it is?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 16, 2011, 06:39 PM   #23
Duzell

Read up above I do PLAN to keep its as a battle rifle it will have quick swap modes to both the original battle rifle stock and parts, and to a sport rifle mode.
so far I plan to use a Boyd's stock with a bipod mounted to it and a long relief scope mounted on a Tri rail setup. The Tri rail system will not alter rear sight mount. I will also have a cheekrest which can hold addition clips and rounds. So basically I'm going to have the rifle as it is but it can become more when the mood hits me. By quick I mean I won't need a gun smith and it can be done with simple setup. Ill post my findings and methods as to how this can be accomplished. Ill post a link to a video of the finished product and how it functions.
Note all mods will be done to Boyd's stock.
Old November 17, 2011, 09:09 AM   #24
Don P

Quote:
Are they easy to install?
would I need a gunsmith?
And that would definatly help
Hammer and a small punch "IF" you do not have a sight adjuster/pusher. I have been told that the sight adjuster for an AK will work for sight adjusting/removal
Old November 18, 2011, 12:43 AM   #25
Rick W.

If you are shooting high, then that might be normal for a lot of these rifles because they were zeroed with the bayonet on. This can be easily fixed with a piece of rubber shrink tubing installed over the front post at the correct height. Raise your front sight and it will lower your point of impact. Also, move your target in to 25 yards if you have to until you get your rifle zeroed, then move it out to farther distances. A good site to visit for the correct way to aim these rifles and to zero them out is 7.62x54r.net. There is a lot of info there for these rifles.

I now have a 1929 Tula MN 91/30, hex receiver, ex-dragoon. I came to the realization that the ammo(brown bear)that I was buying had an overall differance in length between one bullet and the next. This overall length differance is as much as 3/32 of an inch shorter from what the original factory specs call for(3.038"). This also makes a differance with how accurately a rifle shoots. I'm thinking about gathering reloading equipment a little bit at a time and reload my own to get the results that I want. Bullet weight sometimes makes a differance too with these older surplus rifles. Find a bullet weight that your rifle likes. That's what I had to do with my .303 British Enfield, Long Branch, number 4, mark 1*. With it, I was able to get my pattern within one inch of the bulls eye at 200 yards using factory loads and iron sights. I brought down a deer with it last year at about 250 yards without a scope.

I'm also thinking about doing some light sporterizations to my 91/30 too. After I get the accuracy problems figured out(I'm still working on getting the inside of the barrel clean!)I'm thinking about putting a NO DRILL scope mount and a scope on it. I'm also thinking about changing the stock too, so I can screw a bipod on the stock. The rifle can easily be put back to original condition whenever I want to. With these changes and the long barrel, I should be able to make a 400 yard plus shot at a deer or an elk and be able to hit it.

Last edited by Rick W.; November 18, 2011 at 01:17 AM.