The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 14, 2012, 07:41 AM   #26
B.L.E.

Quote:
Most of the accuracy issues are likely due to hold and follow-through. Springers are an aquired taste, but once you figure out the hold they shoot great. A consistent, loose hold is what works for me.
There's a reason that the serious air rifle competitors use either recoiless springers or pre-charged pneumatics. The pneumatics seem to be taking over.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:54 AM   #27
Skans

I planning on buying a pneumatic as soon as somebody invents an electric-powered device that costs $300 or less to pump them up to over 3000psi. Until then, I'll stick with springers.

I have been shooting a B21/22 for over 7 years now. It's a springer - Chinese copy of the RWS 48 side-cocker. Very well made, and I consider it better than the RWS because the trigger is a true 2-stage adjustable trigger made of all forged steel parts. Someone should figure out how to marry-up the B21's trigger to the RWS 48. If this could be done, then I'd consider purchasing an RWS 48 and another Chinese B21 just for the trigger parts.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:43 PM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If you go Gamo know that the trigger bites a root but for a few bucks to this guy he will send in a drop in trigger that makes it near match quality. Only takes a screw driver and a minute to remove the old one and put the new one in.

http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III%20Trigger%20New.htm
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 14, 2012, 05:50 PM   #29
Skans

That's a nice aftermarket trigger - wonder if they make one for my B21?
Old November 14, 2012, 10:20 PM   #30
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

He's easy to talk to, send him an E-mail and ask.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 16, 2012, 02:01 AM   #31
johnwilliamson062

You can use any SCUBA compressor, right? Fire department has one they will refill SCUBA tanks with and there are a few others around in shops. I happen to have a few tanks also.

You know, from before I was married, when money grew on trees and time was something to be wasted.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:59 AM   #32
Skans

From my experience, you need a dive card to get SCUBA tanks filled. Besides, I admit - I'm lazy. I don't want to have to bother a fire department that will be willing to fill a tank for me just to shoot an air gun.

People are making booster pumps that work off of standard air compressor to get the pressure to a level needed to top off 3000 psi air cylinders. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWoH7f90c4U. I am aware of at least one company that produces a commercial booster pump. But, I'm cheap and lazy - this technology will get a bit more refined, and then I'll think about jumping in.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:03 AM   #33
Slopemeno

Any local paintball store should be able to fill 4500 psi cylinders these days- C02 is almost dead in the water.

I prefer springers, as it keeps the logistics of a day shooting airguns in the woods to a minimum. I usually shoot with aperture sights, so I'm not stretching the range. 12 ft lbs and decent accuracy are plenty for me.

Before you dump your Gamo you should try some heavier pellets. I like the Beeman Kodiaks, which shoot really well in my C-1.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:03 AM   #34
jlbpa

I like my .22 cal beeman R1..... but the starlings and english sparrows sure don't
Old November 22, 2012, 07:43 AM   #35
1goodshot

I had a nice old Beeman that was incredibly accurate.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:33 AM   #36
shurshot

B.L.E. is correct about false advertising and light pellets. I have used my Benjamin / Crosman 392 .22 Pump up air rifle to take out crows, Raccoons, Possums, skunks, tree rats and other assorted vermin. Plenty of power at 7 or 8 pumps and it is only rated at 685 FPS with 14.3 grain pellets. 500 to 600 FPS with .22 pellets is plenty for small game if you hit them right. Shot placement is the key.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:04 AM   #37
B.L.E.

On second thought, the crappy BC of those pellets that are light enough to hit those .22 rimfire velocitys can be a safety factor if you are shooting squirrels in trees. These pellets shed velocity like birdshot and that is important in a semi-rural area where you have neighbors in all directions.
A 6.5 grain wadcutter with a .01 BC starting out at 1200 fps is going less than 100 fps at 200 yards. Like a shotgun shooting birdshot, it probably won't go a quarter mile at any elevation angle.

If you have neighbors close enough for the sound of a .22 to be a problem, you definitely have neighbors close enough for the danger zone of a .22 to be a problem.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:39 AM   #38
RC20

I will throw in, my wife is interested in Air Guns (she read the Lewis and Clark journals and got intrigued)

However, she is a farm girl used to shooting serous artillery and wants one that can shoot larger projectiles as it were.

Whats the biggest caliber and in the best make and model that is still good accuracy at say 50 yards?
Old November 22, 2012, 12:11 PM   #39
Ron T. B.

I wanted an air rifle I could shoot on my 35 yard rangel at home. I went to GTA AIR web site and started learning. I wanted an air rifle I could hold and shoot just like I shoot my powder burners. I soon learned springers and nitro pistons require different shooting techniques and may be difficult to shoot off of a sandbag rest. I finally decided that a precharged pnuematic was just the ticket. The down side, at least twice as much as I wanted to spend. So I saved longer and purchased a Benjamin Discovery package that included a pump. The Discovery operates at 2000 psi so pumping is easy. The Disccovery is deadly accccurate, easy to shoot, and plenty powerfull. I highly recomend it . I put an LDC (lead dust catcher) on it to make it backyard friendly.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:38 PM   #40
ThomasT

Quote:
Does anyone have the Beeman dual caliber model ?
I have one I bought from WM for about $120 or so. I have shot over 750 pellets through it and love it. With good Benjiman 177 pellets it will shoot through 7/16" wafer board siding at 22 yards. The 22s shoot even harder. I wouldn't look at a 177 cal until I shot this gun. Plus at 22 yards it will shoot half inch groups.

Mine came with a 4X scope but I bought a Tasco Golden Antler airgun scope with adjustable objective and its much better. I mainly just shoot open sights though. Its an excellent gun for the low price I paid for it.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:12 PM   #41
rebs

Does anyone know anything about a Remington Vantage 1200 ? It is model number RW1K77X2.
Can a standard 22 rifle scope be used with this air gun ?

Last edited by rebs; November 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:04 PM   #42
johnwilliamson062

My understanding is springers recoil in such a way that a normal scope doesn't work so well. Something like double recoil.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:20 PM   #43
B.L.E.

Quote:
My understanding is springers recoil in such a way that a normal scope doesn't work so well. Something like double recoil.
I have heard the same thing, the shock and vibration unique to springers can damage rifle scopes that aren't especially designed for airguns.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:57 AM   #44
Slopemeno

Correct- most springer airguns will destroy normal scopes. An airgun scope will be "double-braced" internally to keep it together.

The nice thing is that airgun rated scopes are becoming cheaper and more common then in the past.

Who shoots a wadcutter at those distances, by the way?
Old November 27, 2012, 01:19 AM   #45
joshobrien77

I have the Nitro Piston version of the vantage 1200. About 1000 rounds in an the Center point that cane with it went wonky. It does not recoil or act like a springer though. With an NP a decent well made scope should do well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old November 27, 2012, 07:11 AM   #46
B.L.E.

Quote:
Who shoots a wadcutter at those distances, by the way?
If I lived in a semi-rural area with neighbors about a quarter of a mile away in every direction and I wanted to shoot squirrels out of trees in my back yard, I would purposely use the lightest and lowest BC wadcutters I could get. They are the pellet gun version of flu-flu arrows.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:04 PM   #47
IrishBluEyes51

i was given a old Sheridan Silver Streak .20. a fun shooter, fairly accurate but the pumping wears me out. lol
Old November 28, 2012, 09:14 AM   #48
Skans

Quote:
Whats the biggest caliber and in the best make and model that is still good accuracy at say 50 yards?
Career makes an airgun in 9mm (Korean air gun). Now, those 9mm pellets are not nearly the same weight as a 9mm handgun bullet, but they are pretty hefty for an airgun - can be used for hunting game. Quackenbush makes a .50 caliber air rifle; again, I don't know the grain of the actual .50 cal pellet. http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/bandit_1.html
Old November 28, 2012, 05:00 PM   #49
Djmudge

There are many good Airguns under 200$ in a springer or nitro.but Remember with a airgun the smaller the pellet(.177) the more accurate you need to stay on target for varments. The bigger the pellets(.20,.22,.25) yo can have a little more circle of error in hit a small animal. Preferably go with a .22 or.25 good hits and maximum damage. I have kill hits out to .45 yards with my Beeman x-2 springer with a round nose 14.3 gr pellet while my Hasan pcp gun fires a 22.5 with longest kill at 75 yds. Test pellets to.your airgun will let you know what it likes. Round nose and pointed usually shoot best.x2 on pyramid air.
Old November 28, 2012, 05:33 PM   #50
rebs

A friend loaned me his Remington Vantage 1200 and it is a blast to shoot. I mounted a Tasco 2-7 scope on it and it is good to go. I got the scope sighted in and it is a very accurate air gun. I couldn't believe it shot straight through a 1 gal milk jug filled with water. I thought the water would have stopped it. For a $130.00 air gun it is all I need. I was surprised to see it was made by crossman and any parts can be ordered from crossman.